New to ribs

GingerQ

Reaction score
Okay so I consider myself a newbie when it comes to ribs. I have tried smoking them a few times and always turn out what I would consider rubbery... Any suggestions on times, cooking temps, meat temps, etc?

Look up the 3-2-1 method, basically its 3 hours cooked, wrap for two hours, then unwrap and cook for up to 1 hr

Ribs are simple cooks are evil so Keep It Simple Styme.

open the package
rinse the bonZ under cold water
pat dry with a paper towel
Wet the surface with Worcestershire sauce
Apply a light- med coat of rub(Must be able to clearly see the meat through the rub)
Bring the pit to 275 deg put the BonZ on meat side up
and cook them until they pass the bend test
Time lines
Loin Backs 3.5-4 hrs & pass the bend test
St Louis 4-4.5 hrs & pass the bend test
Full Spares 4.5 -5 hrs & pass the end test

The Bend test >Ribs Done!!
bendtest.jpg

What are you cooking on and what temp for how long? How are you testing for doneness? They can be cooked a lot of different ways. I cook indirect at 300+, sometimes I foil. Bend test will tell you when they are done.

Mind you, 3-2-1 was developed for full-sized spares and even then many consider that method overcooking. That said, a variation of this method is a good way to ensure tender ribs. That said, I always cook my ribs unwrapped and don't have any problems.

What are you cooking on? How are you currently cooking them? What temps?

I cook my spares or St. Louis spares between 250-275 until probe tender with my therm, or they pass the bend test.

open the package
Apply a light- med coat of rub(Must be able to clearly see the meat through the rub)
Time lines

bendtest.jpg

First you get a brisket cook method named after you, and now you are trying to get a rib method named after you. :wacko:

I agree with Bludawg with keeping it simple. Don't over complicate bbq. Stick to basics and then expand from there.

Rinse
Pat Dry
Rub (don't do a heavy coat)
Cook at your desired temperature till they pass the bend test pictured above. (Bludawg gave you a good timeline for cooking at 275 degrees)

Cooking at 300-325
Loin back/Baby Back ribs - 2.5-3 hours
St. Louis Trimmed Spares - 3.5-4 hours
Full rack of Spares - 4-4.5 hours

Go with Bludawg's method to start out.

When you've mastered that, you can look into wrapping and other techniques.

If you like your ribs sauced, sauce them in the last 15 mins of cooking. Or you can even sauce them as you pull them off the smoker, and the sauce will set pretty well while they rest.

The important thing is that you're probably not cooking them long enough if they're coming out rubbery. Overcooked ribs fall apart, undercooked ribs end up rubbery or tough.

If you pick up a rack like that picture Bludawg posted, you should see the rack bend easily, and you should also see the meat start to tear where it's bending. If it does that, they're done.

Another one for BluDawg...try just cooking them straight first. Then you can try other techniques like foil, hot and fast, etc.

When the meat shrinks up on the bones 1/4 '' + - or so .What everyone else is saying also .Lots of way to do ribs .start out simple and go from there.Befor u know it the ribs will do good for u.

thanks everyone, I bought 8 pound spare ribs and I'm going to throw them on the barrel smoker at 250° - 300° Since I can't get this stupid thing to keep a steady temp!

what are you having problems keeping steady temps on? I use my patio offset for ribs. I trim, season, put on at around 250 and let them go for 4 to 5 hours until they pass the bend test.

a 3-1-1 method seems to work well for me on my UDS at 225.
3 uncovered, 1 in foil, and then 1 more un foiled.

I'm wanting to try to cook them the whole time un-foiled one of these days. Sure would make cooking the ribs at the lake easier. I wouldnt have to come off the water after 3 hours to foil them.

ahhhhh yes the COS, they can be very frustrating. Temp swings can be pretty wide on them.

open the package
Time lines

bendtest.jpg
^^^^^Thar ya go!!!:wink: I season mine differently but the cooking method is dead on!:thumb:

Well I failed once again... I just can't seem to get them right.

Back