• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First attempt at a Sliced Butt

BBQDaddio

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Been wanting to try a Sliced Pork Butt rather than pulled and decided to do a Cuban Mojo Pork Roast. Wife purchased a 14 pound boneless pork shoulder instead of bone-in and when it was time for trimming I was surprised that it was pretty hacked up. Than looked at the label and it was a boneless. So onward with the marinade: STudded the roast every 2-3 inches with Garlic than placed the shoulder in a zip lock bag with Goya Mojo Crillo.

Sunday Morning put the roast in at 8:00 with Grill temp reading at 250. Smoked over KBB mixed with Trader joe briquettes and some hickory and apple. Bumped up the temp around 9:30 to 300. 175 internal temp hit at 1:00 rested for 2 hours than sliced.

Made a sauce with the left over marinade. Sauted up a whole onion with 10 minced Garlic and 4 thai chili's to a nice golden color than added the marinade to simmer for 10 mins. Of course also added a little salt and pepper to taste.

Attachments

• MojoPork 001.jpg
    MojoPork 001.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 180
  • MojoPork 002.jpg
    MojoPork 002.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 180
  • MojoPork 003.jpg
    MojoPork 003.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 180
Oohhhhhh ..... and just about the time I was thinking I'd done "everything" you could do to a butt......

Yea, that looks nice.
Anymore pics?

Been wanting to try a Sliced Pork Butt rather than pulled and decided to do a Cuban Mojo Pork Roast. Wife purchased a 14 pound boneless pork shoulder instead of bone-in and when it was time for trimming I was surprised that it was pretty hacked up. Than looked at the label and it was a boneless. So onward with the marinade: STudded the roast every 2-3 inches with Garlic than placed the shoulder in a zip lock bag with Goya Mojo Criollo.

Sunday Morning put the roast in at 8:00 with Grill temp reading at 250. Smoked over KBB mixed with Trader joe briquettes and some hickory and apple. Bumped up the temp around 9:30 to 300. 175 internal temp hit at 1:00 rested for 2 hours than sliced.

Made a sauce with the left over marinade. Sauted up a whole onion with 10 minced Garlic and 4 thai chili's to a nice golden color than added the marinade to simmer for 10 mins. Of course also added a little salt and pepper to taste.[/QUOT

Fixed it for ya. Looks great!! SGV boy here.

can you taste the mojo after a long smoke?

The roast was marinated Saturday morning and its recommended that a 3 day marinade would be better. Was originally going to go with a homemade mojo but ran into some last minute errands with the misses.

You were able to taste more of the mojo after reintroducing some of the sauce to each slice. It is so much tastier the next day.

Now that looks really good! If it tastes as good as it looks, then you have a winner. You have me wanting to try that, as I don't care for pulled pork that much. Guess it is the Texan in me trying to compare it with some good brisket or something. I have cooked two or three butts and have always been disappointed in the outcome. I like a good pork roast, but have never tried to cook one on the smoker. Thanks for posting your pictures of your cook, and inspiring me to try one myself.

Blessings,

Omar

Now that looks really good! If it tastes as good as it looks, then you have a winner. You have me wanting to try that, as I don't care for pulled pork that much. Guess it is the Texan in me trying to compare it with some good brisket or something. I have cooked two or three butts and have always been disappointed in the outcome. I like a good pork roast, but have never tried to cook one on the smoker. Thanks for posting your pictures of your cook, and inspiring me to try one myself.

Blessings,

Omar

Thank you. Wanted to try a pork brisket and it was really good for a first attempt. Should definitely give it a try with a fresh mojo.

Back