MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
LM600
Full Fledged Farker

We can get tubes of almost neon pink "Pork Sausagemeat" in the supermarkets...it really is what I imagine pink slime to be like.

So, what I do is....

1) Make my own by mincing pork shoulder and adding some BBQ rub as seasoning.
(If I'm not being lazy)

2) Just buy some already minced pork and a couple of packs of snags, remove the casings and mix the pork and snags together.
(If I'm being lazy, this is the most likely option!)
LM600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #17
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

John, do you have a meat grinder? If so, I like to keep the rib and any other pork trimmings until I have enough to make my own fresh sausage. Works great for many things...especially fatties.

Tim

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I always make fatties out of homemade sausage - in fact, it wouldn't occur to me to use store bought. Whenever I'm making a batch I always set some aside for fatties after stuffing. Any kind works great - breakfast, kielbasa, Italian, etc....
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
I haven't seem or do not recollect seeing breakfast saugage rolls such as produced by Jimmy Dean (the late) available in Australia. Do any of you make & cook your own? If so could you share your secrets and if possible a description without the use of proprietary product.
Here is my maple sausage recipe, it's pretty good. I form patties with it but it can definitely be made into a fatty.

http://www.tailgatejoe.com/homemade-maple-breakfast-sausage/
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #20
Clayfish
Full Fledged Farker

As LM600 said, there's no Jimmy Dean or similar product in the UK either, I use supermarket pork mince and/or unskinned sausages, haven't had a bad one yet .

Since I've never had the luxury of slicing plastic off a ready made seasoned log of mince (except last year when visiting Portland, OR - but that's a different story) I have always made stuffed fatties, usually wrapped with a bacon lattice - it really holds in all the goodness and prevents fatty explosions!
22" WSM, 22" OTG, [COLOR=navy][B]Jumbo Joe[/B][/COLOR], WSJ, Mini WSM, WGA, Maverick ET-732, [COLOR=red][B]Red [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen and a twelve year old gasser which hasn't come out of the shed since I got a taste of charcoal!
Clayfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #21
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Over here we have to make our own since it isn't sold...same story as Phrozen Italian meatballs for the MOINKS.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
John, do you have a meat grinder? If so, I like to keep the rib and any other pork trimmings until I have enough to make my own fresh sausage. Works great for many things...especially fatties.

Tim
Yes I do & now with a number of recipes to try I'm going to be busy. Thank you Brethren.
John

Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
Here is my maple sausage recipe, it's pretty good. I form patties with it but it can definitely be made into a fatty.

http://www.tailgatejoe.com/homemade-maple-breakfast-sausage/
Sorry, link was screwed up, here ya go
http://www.tailgatejoe.com/homemade-...kfast-sausage/
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]

Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #24
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
Sorry, link was screwed up, here ya go
http://www.tailgatejoe.com/homemade-...kfast-sausage/

Nice website!!! Now I'm gonna try to make some Breakfast Sausage. I really like that Coleman Deep Frier. Put that on the want list.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedex View Post
Nice website!!! Now I'm gonna try to make some Breakfast Sausage. I really like that Coleman Deep Frier. Put that on the want list.
Thanks, the interwebz stuff is what I do 9-5, in case anyone needs that stuff, lol. The coleman frier works well. We outgrew it and have been using bigger setups now, but for small groups like most everyone else it works great.
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]

Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #26
Quint
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for sharing the recipes bludawg

gonna try one of these this weekend..............

WSM 22"
Rec Tec RT-700
Weber Genesis E-330
Quint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
Yes I do & now with a number of recipes to try I'm going to be busy. Thank you Brethren.
John
I lived in Alice Springs for 6 years. Couldn't get decent breakfast sausage so I got my brother's recipie which seems pretty close to the ones already posted here. Had a local butcher make me 10 kilos in half kilo packages with the spices I provided. Some of my American friends tried it and in a few days I was out of sausage. Went back to the butcher a few days later with another bag of spices and ordered another 10 kilos. When I came back to pick it up there were only 19 packages. I went back to the butchers a few days later to pick up some steaks and Peter, the owner, comes up to me and asked for the recipie. Seems they kept one package of my last order and grilled it up for smoko. Turns out the Aussie butchers really liked American breakfast sausage.

Last I heard Milner meats in Alice springs was still selling it.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote