Chili and Cheesey Cornbread

bbqbull

Watching over us.
Reaction score
Made a pot of chili this am. Nothing special but my wife and guests said it tasted awesome.

100_1888-1.jpg
Then I made some cheesey cornbread this evening in a cast iron frying pan. I added about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the mix and shredded another hand full and put in on top. I used bacon grease to lube the bottom and sides of the cast iron pan. It tasted awesome per my friends and family. Very little left but leftovers are gone home with others.
100_1890.jpg

Thanks Landarc......Woke up to more snot then freezing ice pellets, rain, freezing rain and typical Michigan weather.
My buddy said top speed was below 40 mph due to ice covered roads this evening when he headed home.

could you post the ingredients fot both? it looks great thanks

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Sorry for the delay, here is the recipe for the chili.

4# of 80/20 ground chuck browned
1 lg. sweet onion
4 stalks of celery
1 can of sweet corn
2 cans 28oz. cans of diced tomatoes
1 can of Bushes mild chili beans
2 small cans of mushrooms
1 12 oz can of tomato paste
2 12 oz Budwiser beer.
Cumin powder and Chili powder to taste.
I browned the celery in butter until they were softening up in butter. Added the onion to soften. Then added mushrooms and corn to drive out moisture. then added up the pieces of ground beef an the rest of the ingredients. Simmered it on the stove on low as heat makes the tomatoes bitter.....A trick I learned from this forum owner Phil Rizzardi. Thank you Phil for that tip.

Cornbread was a box of Jiffy Mix cornbread. I shredded some cheddar cheese. Added a cup of the cheese to the batter. Then I added another cup of cheese on top of the batter.
I used a 12 inch cast iron frying pan for the baking vessel. I melted about 2 tablespoons of chilled bacon drippings to the pan before adding the batter mixture. I baked at 400 degrees per the box's instructions.
My wife can't do the heat but I wanted to add some liquid habenaro sauce but I would have gotten into a jam.

Outstanding meal, sometimes more simple is better. :clap:
Sorry for the delay here!

Love Chilli Never thought of corn for it Have thought of beer but not sure how lagaer would taste. That and the corn bread would definately hit the spot I like blac and pinto kidney and chili beans in it too

Back