Have you tried maple?

K

kcquer

Has anyone tried smoking with maple? I am a cabinet builder and when you machine wood you get and excellent preview of the smell of the wood as it smokes. When I machine maple it smells excellent. Haven't had any in the shop to try recentlybut have job coming up that calls for it. 99% of what I build is red oak and I unfortunately don't like it on my Q which is a shame because the wood I use is 6-8% moisture (VERY dry) lights very clean. Just wantin to know if I should save scraps or not. scott

Per the "What Wood to Burn" file in the files section:

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

And I love the Red Oak Richie sent me. That stuff burns nice. I am using it sparingly, only in the first 3 hours of Q when most absorbtion occurs (not wanting to get off topic with an absorbtion discussion, that is just IMO)

Boss to Scott:
Um...Scott, I noticed there was a truck load of "scrap" maple in your truck. Looked pretty good to me, what's up with that?

Scott: "The grain was running the wrong way"

Boss: "Can you at least return all the hinges and hardware when your done"

Have not tried smoking with maple yet, but, thanks to my dad, I have some that should be cured by spring. So, Bill, ya got some of that coming to if ya want it. And a big ass cottonwood stump to go with that ax. You are going to need to buy a truck before you come down again.

Bill, one big problem I am the boss. Just gotta minimize waste on that job so theres plenty left over.

I personally don't like the way maple burns. I have well seasoned silver maple and it doesn't burn clean even when preheated. I stopped using it.

When I picked up Large Marge I bought a box of maple and a box of peach. Really love the way the maple smells and tastes. It is sweet. Every once in a while I like to throw something really different in the fire for a little 'aroma therapy' the peach and the maple are perfect for that.

<smiling> This was before ol' KC came down and cooked BoCo fair with us in 2004...by that time he knew that I liked to cook with sugar maple and cherry...we walked twice that day....
Thanks for bringing a smile to my face, my brother may be gone, but he still lives in his words....

try using sugar maple or hard maple instead of the white. big difference.

Never smoked it but its a dam good wood for the woodstove. Hard as chit when its dried. Burns long time.

Fi dolla, fi dolla. Love you long time. Sorry, not Woodpile huh? I'll go to my room.

I use sugar maple a LOT, and absolutely love it. It's mellow, sweet and is real good for pork, fish, poultry and lamb. I prefer something a little heavier for beef - like oak or hickory, but sugar maple is one of my favorites

Try Sugar Maple!!

tommykendall said:
I personally don't like the way maple burns. I have well seasoned silver maple and it doesn't burn clean even when preheated. I stopped using it.

Hey Tommy, et al,

Try Sugar Maple, there is a huge difference!! Silver Maple's do have the problem of not burning clean and give off a bitter taste, but the Sugar Maple is just the exact opposite. I only use Sugar Maple, Apple, and Hickory. I am lucky enough to live in a state the has an abundance of all 3 and I have easy access to all 3.

If you get a chance try the Sugar Maple

I did a turkey breast last week brined with some maple and smoked with some sugar maple and hickory. Really tasty.

Back