MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Sales Debate with my wife.

I like to sell sliders or mini sandwiches. My thought is that there are some people that will not spend for a whole sandwich without knowing it is good or not.

My wife thinks we cut ourselves out of a full sale by selling sliders. She says if we did not offer them they would buy the full sandwich We get $5 at a festival for a sandwich and $2.75 for a slider.

What do you all think? Honestly we are so busy selling that we don't get a chance to monitor whether they come back for a full sandwich or not after getting the sliders so I don't know if it is benefiting or cutting sales.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

What is the profit margin on each product at those prices? Knowing that will help determine which course of action to take.

If the slider is just as profitable (in terms of margin based on cost) then there's not much harm done in keeping them on the menu unless you can be certain that by offering two sizes that people are flocking to the smaller one when they otherwise would have probably bought the full size if they didn't have a choice.

The problem is that it's hypothetical until you test it. It's true, you can make the argument that your wife has and you're reducing the total number of dollars made if people opt for the small when they otherwise would have paid for the big. At the same time you can make your argument that says if you only have the one large sandwich, people may pass altogether, resulting in no sale at all.

But like you pointed out, you aren't keeping track right now, so it's hard to stay who is right. So I'd start by looking at how profitable each item is and go from there. If the slider has a much smaller margin, then it might make sense to drop it and focus on the one sandwich. Or maybe the slider has higher margins, which could offset the possibility that a few people are choosing that over the full size.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

First problem: You are in a debate with your Wife!!!

Marubozo is spot on with the analysis. Follow his guidance and you will figure out what is most profitable and hence which way to go.

We had a similar issue with offering "full plates" or selling menu items ala carte. We found that our margin was lower on the "plate" price and many people didn't want all of what we were offering on the "plate". So we now sell individual menu items only. YMMV

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Would 2 sliders cost you the same as one sandwich? If that is the case, you are making $.50 more on the sliders at the same cost. You have to know what your cost is, that is what we preach in this section. Does you wife know the cost of each?

I am selling sliders for $3.50 at the farmer's markets I do. People like the smaller sandwich. I think if you charge $3 for sliders and $5 for a full sandwich and see what sells better.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

$5 for a sammie??? Stop giving away your food bro!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

My $0.02 is from the perspective of a buyer. Assuming you do the math and figure our the margins on each product and get your pricing right first, I would rather have the option of buying slider(s). Two points: if I'm not really hungry, I would get a slider just to have a taste but would pass on a larger sandwich; if I am hungry, I would get 2 or 3 different sliders (i.e., pork chicken & brisket) to fill up and get variety.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

So what should a 4 oz. pulled pork sandwich sell for?
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Dude, if you are selling out... don't change, but I would add a bag of cheap chips and charge $7.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post

I'm higher than cost x3 at $5
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
landarc

One of the factors is also sharing.

Out here, many restaurants have embraced sliders as a means of selling the same amount of meat, but, in smaller, more easily shared portions. There are a lot of folks that will pass on a larger sandwich for dietary or appearance reasons, but, will eat a slider readily. Price points to entry are every bit as valid as total price of each sale. In truth if you are charging $2.75 for a single slider, that is 1/2 of a large $5 sandwich, and you are using exactly the same food costs, you are better off selling sliders. That is the math out here.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

I've gone back and forth on this as currently, we are set up right outside BBVA Compass Stadium.

My envisioned Que joint is kind of more food truck / trailer right now and people sort of like the "finger food" aspect of a slider.

Girls can share, they don't look at it as a full meal, etc. That being said, slider buns around here add to my COG's. its .05 cents more per slider bun, then a regular bun. So, currently its sandwiches or by the pound.

And $7.00 per 5oz sandwich sells all day long.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
mikeleonard81
Full Fledged Farker

I think a 4 oz. sammie is a good deal for you and the customer at 6$. I don't know if 5 is covering your "x3" method. But if it's working for you in your neck of the woods I wouldn't change. I am curious about the sliders. If you do some research and find out if you or her is right will you please let us know how it turned out either way?
mikeleonard81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

We sell 4 oz for $4.50 including tax which exceeds our cost times 3 by $.18 cents each. My Boston butts cost me $1.03 per pound

Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Man, I want to eat where you guys are serving 4 and 5 dollar sammies. Around here, even 7 bucks at any of the corner BBQ shacks will only get you one of the worst pulled pork sandwiches you've ever put in your mouth.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizznessman View Post
First problem: You are in a debate with your Wife!!!
They say there are two theories to arguing with a woman.....
... Unfortunately neither one works..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote