Smoking Times on Smokey Joe WSM

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am doing my first cook on my Smokey Joe WSM (Turkey Breast and Moink Balls) and am wondering how long are you getting with one basket of charcoal? I realize this will vary with basket size, cook temp and charcoal type, but am wondering what you guys are averaging. I am cooking at 250*, so the 5lb Turkey should take about 2.5-3 hours. The smoker is the perfect size for 1-2 Boston Butts, but am wondering if I can get 10 hours or so out of a basket.

The longest I've ever gotten was 11.5 hours but that was 1 relatively small brisket flat at a very low temperature under ideal conditions (and the last 2 hours were without any meat in the cooker.)

With 2 butts, I would say you could count on about 4-5 hours if you load it up with Kingsford. I don't use a basket or lump for this so if you are using those, all bets are off.

My mini WSM is incredibly stable at 250 for about two hours. Then I have to add charcoal, and the temperature drops and has a terrible time getting back to 250.

But, that first couple hours, it is rock solid at 250. So, I only do short smokes with it, like MOINK balls or a meatloaf.

There is no way I would even try to do a ten hour smoke on my mini WSM. It is just the wrong tool for that job. I have a real WSM for that job.

CD

DSC02576aaa.jpg

My basket is this size and I can get 7 or 8 hours of burn time with lump. The cool thing is you can just lift the tamale pot section off (my drip pan is in that section too) and add more charcoal in about 30 seconds.​

There is no way I would even try to do a ten hour smoke on my mini WSM. It is just the wrong tool for that job. I have a real WSM for that job.

CD

I thought that till I tried it. Mine works great. If you are doing a lot of meat, you'll have to add charcoal at least once, but it's so easy with the handles on the tamale pot (and so light) that it's just not a big deal at all. Takes about 20 second and you are back in business.

By the way, if you leave the lid on, the temperature won't drop much at all.

My experience with the Mini WSM has given me the following facts:

1. Meat might take a little longer to cook in it because of the lower volume.
2. A lot of meat will take a lot longer to cook in it.
3. It's a good idea to turn your meat half way through the cook or the top might not be cooked all the way through.

Back