• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dish sanatizer?

mikeleonard81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to call the health department for my license. The only thing I have left to get is dish sanatizer and test strips. Is there any kind any of you are partial to using? And is this somthing I can get at my local sam's club or do I have to order off line? Also they say I need a back flow preventer?? Is this just another name for a check valve? Thanks in advance!

Here is FL you can use bleach. Just have the test strips. I know GFS has sanitizer and test strips, too. Quat and other commercial products can get expensive. If you can use bleach I'd stick with it as you can always get a gallon at the grocery store.

In a nutshell, yes a back flow preventer is basically a check valve. However if it is on your fresh water line from the meter there is a little more to it than that. here in Cali it will cost a grand and up for a proper BF device between permits, purchase price, installation, inspection, testing and certification. I don't know about Ohio, but out here you better put a cage anchored in cement around the BF or it will get stolen sooner or later. Metal thieves will get a few bucks for the brass, leaving you to pay hundreds or thousands to replace it.

HOLY COW midniterider!! The one one my county's health page only cost around 20 bucks thank goodness!!

Chad, How much bleach to water is the ratio?

Thank you both.

The restaurant I worked in used 1 Tbsp of bleach per gallon of water and required that all items remain submerged for a minimum of 2 minutes. The disinfection compartment was to be drained/cleaned every 4 hours or at the end of a shift due to the fact that chlorine will evaporate out over time, especially in warm/hot water. All items were to then be air dried. Towels are hotbeds of bacteria and once contaminated then proceed to contaminate everything they touch. This seems to be somewhat of an industry standard.

Some in the industry have switched to quaternary ammonia. One of the advantages of quaternary ammonium disinfectants is that they don't damage clothing and carpets the way that bleach does. They are also non-corrosive to metal pipes and other surfaces, another advantage over bleach. Extended exposure of these infrastructure items to bleach can cause damage.

When quaternary ammonium is mixed with organic matter it loses its effectiveness. This makes it an ineffective disinfectant in situations where blood, urine, fecal matter or soil may be present. For this reason, it is only used on non-critical surfaces like floors and railings in hospitals instead of on critical surfaces such as instruments that may come in contact with broken skin. Hard water is also a concern and should be tested before using a quaternary ammonium as a disinfectant because it loses effectiveness in solution with hard water. Cloths made of cotton or other organic material should not be used to spread the disinfectant because they lower its effectiveness.

More than you ever wanted to know.

This is what we use. It's 5-7 tablets to 5 gallons of water. At Restaurant depot it's about $5.00 for 150 tablets. The test strips are about the same price range. It requires a 1 minute soak time when ware washing.

edwards-councilor-steramine-sanitizing-tablets-sanitab-150-bottle.jpg

Back