BBQ Brethren "Pick the 4th Ingredient" Throwdown!

I figured even eggplant can't ruin pizza...

Marinated two small chicken breasts in lime juice, garlic, canola oil, crushed red pepper, and a little water.
IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6468.jpg

Grilled the eggplant w/ oil, salt, and pepper
IMG_6470.jpg

Grilled up the chicken
IMG_6471.jpg

I worked at various pizza joints over 8 years and i would have to say this was by far the worst dough I have ever worked with. I opened it up and there was a big hole in the middle, so i had to work the dough. I balled it up and probably should have let it rest a while but I didn't have time. It was impossible to keep it from ripping so I had to keep the pizza relatively small.
IMG_6481.jpg

In addition to the chicken and eggplant, I topped the pizza w/ homemade bbq sauce, minced garlic, red onions, red peppers, and monterrey jack cheese.
IMG_6483.jpg

I prepared the pizza on the preheated stone so that the crust could firm up enough to transfer it to the grill when it was ready.

Ready to go...
IMG_6494.jpg

One small hickory chunk for some light smoke flavor.
IMG_6498.jpg

Finished
IMG_6500.jpg

And plated with a little parmesan and crushed red pepper to top it off (please use this last one)
IMG_6505.jpg

I knew exactly what Bob was thinking when I saw the ingredients and that package of phyllo dough: Bisteeya! I figured I'd better make this before he did. So, if I messed up a little, it was because I was in a hurry. For those who aren't familiar, bisteeya are Moroccan chicken-filled pastries made with phyllo dough, and they are really special. I had to modify the recipe a little to accommodate the Four Ingredients. So I switched lime for lemon, and peanuts for almonds. I think I might keep the lime next time and I thought the peanuts would really shake things up, but roasting them seem to mellow them out and they added something differents but it didn't seem out of place. First I assembled the ingredients to marinade the chicken thighs:

IMG_1009.jpg

These are marinaded for a couple hours

IMG_1008.jpg

and then boiled because we will need the broth: The chicken is very tasty and has a light cinnamon flavor.

IMG_1012.jpg

To the broth we add the lime juice.

IMG_1023.jpg

The closest I can describe this is like hot and sour soup without the hot. To this we add whipped eggs.

IMG_1014.jpg

Normally you temper eggs into a hot liquid but here we want them to cook into strands and bits,

IMG_1015.jpg

We then sift out the curdled (scrambled) eggs:

IMG_1020.jpg

We will use this for our stuffing. We also roast and then grind some peanuts:

IMG_1026.jpg

Now for the assembly. We cut our phyllo into six inch squares. We make a stack of five of these, each coated in melted butter:

IMG_1027.jpg

On top of this, we add a tablespoon of crushed, roasted peanuts mixed with cinnamon and powdered sugar.

IMG_1028.jpg

and then about 1/2 cup of those scrambled eggs.

IMG_1029.jpg

On top of this we add two more layers of phyllo (brushed in butter):

IMG_1030.jpg

Then we add about 1/2 cup of the shredded chicken and top it with another tablespoon of the crushed peanuts:

IMG_1032.jpg

We top with three more sheets of phyllo (soaked in butter). We then fold this into a bun:

IMG_1033.jpg

I also made some in ramekins:

IMG_1041.jpg

I cooked these in My Oval for about 45 minutes at 370* (until delicious)

IMG_1047.jpg

I let them cool for about 20 minutes and then sprinkle the tops with cinnamon and sugar. These can be served with apple or mint tea, or a beer. Here's one from the ramekin (for Gore)

IMG_1054.jpg

and this is more of a single-size serving:

IMG_1084.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wait, phyllo dough comes in a tube? :shocked: WTH is the world coming to?

Oh, and great looking eats ecode! :thumb:

Wait, phyllo dough comes in a tube? :shocked: WTH is the world coming to?

Can I use Phillo? Comes in a frozen packet here, but that WOULD change a few things!

From a message of a few days ago, the Great Platypus himself suggested boxed dough was fine and even gave phyllo as an example. See below and read last sentence. Dang, don't you guys read these threads or do you have Bob on your "ignore" list?

I am stunned at what can be found on the internet
EASY_doughbox.jpg

006+%285%29.JPG

OTF403445S.jpg

CannedJarredBoxedFishGefilteFish-KedemGourmetGefilteFishOriginalHeimeshe_zoom_image1_32208.jpg

Okay, I am not real sure about that last one, but when I searched, it came up as dough boxed. Feel free to use it in place of dough in a tube if you like.

Bob is the 4th Ingredient.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob is the 4th Ingredient.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next you'll be telling us that Soylent Green is people... :tsk:

I thought the boxed dough option was for those in locales where dough-in-a-tube wasn't an option. Maybe I should read those updated instructions a bit closer.

That and go break out the frozen boxed pastry dough... :becky:

Well, it is not exactly what I had wanted to allow, but, it seemed there were so many people objecting to dough in a tube, I decided totally arbitrarily to allow a wider array of dough items, as so many people, who otherwise seem to enjoy things like Spam, objected to dough in a tube. So, phyllo it is. And now I have to change my plans because Ecode cooked what I was gonna cook. Maybe Uzbeki Mantu.

Well, it is not exactly what I had wanted to allow, but, it seemed there were so many people objecting to dough in a tube, I decided totally arbitrarily to allow a wider array of dough items, as so many people, who otherwise seem to enjoy things like Spam, objected to dough in a tube. So, phyllo it is. And now I have to change my plans because Ecode cooked what I was gonna cook. Maybe Uzbeki Mantu.

These are probably the same people who use cheap thin cut, walmart brand bacon on their ABT's.

Anyone can make a great dish out of "real" dough. It takes a great cook to do it using dough in a tube. :boxing:

Everyone is so creative here it makes me sick! Oh wait I was already sick. I LOVE the entries so far. Everything looks amazing! I really need to try to be creative one day like you guys. Great job everyone! :clap2:

These are probably the same people who use cheap thin cut, walmart brand bacon on their ABT's.

Anyone can make a great dish out of "real" dough. It takes a great cook to do it using dough in a tube. :boxing:
Hence my choosing the 'dough in a tube'

Back