MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Default Great American Barbecue Festival, May 20-21, 2011

Now that we are into May and I heard quite a few teams are not returning, just wanted to know who all will be here this year?

Funny Farm BBQ will be making a return appearance. Hope to see a few of the Brethren out there.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
trueque
Full Fledged Farker

TrueQue is heading out to this one for our first time. Hoping for a great competition!

Backwoods Party
trueque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

I talked to Tracy this weekend and she said she had 79 teams signed up so far.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyEarl View Post
Now that we are into May and I heard quite a few teams are not returning, just wanted to know who all will be here this year?

Funny Farm BBQ will be making a return appearance. Hope to see a few of the Brethren out there.
Only competed there once and really enjoyed it. WHy are teams not returning?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Only competed there once and really enjoyed it. WHy are teams not returning?
There's another thread on the why's, but comments I've read & heard:
-No invitational
-No World Brisket open
-Vegas is the same weekend with a hugh pot - a lot of the big boys are going to be heading out west
-High cost
-Two lots can't leave til 11:00 Saturday
-One lot can't get in until 5:00 Friday
-and just general complaints about how the contest was run in the past.

I personally have not experienced any problems with Tracy or the rest of the staff, in fact I consider her a friend. I like the new location which is on level ground. We are looking forward to it and can't wait. Just need to get my sauce entry in to Terri by the deadline.

Kim, thanks for the update on the number of teams, I'm glad to see so many are going. It will fall well short of the almost 200 teams they were known for in the past. Yet one more contest with more than 70 teams this year - that will make 5 of 6 when we step foot at the GAB.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]

Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

She also said that they are no longer using the "load-in after 5pm' lot. She has room for 120-130 teams in the other lots.

We will be at the Sam's Club Challenge in Conroe TX, otherwise we would be there.

Marc is right that it is in a great location. Overland Park, KS is a very busy place and I'm sure the public attendance will be great (if the weather is good). There are many restaurants, stores & hotels within a mile of the venue. It is also right across the street from the Sprint Campus, so if you will have Sprint Phone Service you have GREAT signal.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

We're in.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

wife and I are judging this one

Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Nomanerz
On the road to being a farker

Marc, We'll see you and all the other Brethren there!
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff](Different Mothers)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Haulmark Competition Trailer[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]OTP, OTG, 2 Snailesque UDS's
Traeger Junior[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
Nomanerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll be there judging and hanging out at the awards ceremony. Really looking forward to it!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I just talked with Tracy. She said the final site layout will be completed soon - they are meeting with the Fire and police dept's. to okay the electrical grid layout. She didn't want to send out the assignments and have to change things around at the last minute.

I do have to say, after talking with her, I am really stoked about this contest!

I'll be pulling in Thursday afternoon and staying throughout. If any teams are setting up that early, let me know, we can try to get together for dinner - plenty great places to pick from.
CBJ
Funny Farm BBQ

Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
I'll be there judging and hanging out at the awards ceremony. Really looking forward to it!
Hunt us down after the judging, I'll have a few cold one's ready (or already downed) and after the awards we can sit around and complain about the judges (just kidding). Since the awards aren't until 7:00 there will be a lot of time for mingling.

We ought to do a Brethren Super Shot before the awards for good luck for all of the contestants and thank for the Brethren judges for putting up with us
CBJ
Funny Farm BBQ

Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 PM   #13
matthew burt
Full Fledged Farker

We are making the trip down for it as well!

2 Stumps Platinum 5 (husker red)
Backwoods Professionall
custom mobile pit
Traeger Jr, WSM
new custom built insulated firebox offset
matthew burt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyEarl View Post
Hunt us down after the judging, I'll have a few cold one's ready (or already downed) and after the awards we can sit around and complain about the judges (just kidding). Since the awards aren't until 7:00 there will be a lot of time for mingling.

We ought to do a Brethren Super Shot before the awards for good luck for all of the contestants and thank for the Brethren judges for putting up with us
You got it!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

FYI... I'll be at the GAB this Friday giving out free rub samples. So, if you're interested, PM me your team name and location and I'll stop by and hand-deliver samples of our stuff...

Mike Trump
Oakridge BBQ

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote