First Comp - Farkin Awesome!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was able to cook with brother indianagriller this past weekend at the new Franklin, IN "Smoke on the Square" competition (first year). I can't say I really cooked so much as assisted Jimmy as he was the man with the plan. BUT, since his partner was unable to compete I offered to help out.

Anyway, for the first time....I entered into one of the backyard comps. I entered my Wampus's Peach Bourbon Baked Beans recipe into the "Anything But" category and took 2nd place!!!! 1st place was a ribeye steak, submitted by a bar just across the street from the comp (literally). I didn't feel too bad about coming 2nd to what was most likely a professional cook that's probably put out thousands of ribeyes and that they cooked in their kitchen and probably walked it across the street.

The BIG news of the day was that "Big JT's Smokin BBQ" got 3 calls!!!
  • 1st Place Pork
  • 2nd Place Chicken
  • 9th Place Brisket
With an overall placement of 5th!

Here's some pics:

Pretty good turnout (as I unerstand it) for a 1st year comp. 23 teams. Just before the awards:
IMG_2848.jpg

The goods:
IMG_2849.jpg

Jimmy with the trophy and check for Chicken:
IMG_2857.jpg

1st PORK!!!
IMG_2858.jpg

And finally......me with my first ever competition trophy!!!!
IMG_2856.jpg

I just may be hooked. It was a great time and great experience. Thanks again Jimmy!:thumb:

Congratulations, I met Jimmy at Benton, Ky earlier this this year, You picked a great team to cook with, awesome guys!

Wampus,great job! I am so happy for you great job! I wish I would have known you were their. We went down on Friday evening to meet the thin blue line team.
I wish I would have known, I would have come over to say Howdy!!!

Congrats Wampus. That trophy is gonna cost you a lottttt a $ from here on out.:thumb: Yer hooked!

I wish I would have known you were their. We went down on Friday evening to meet the thin blue line team.
I wish I would have known, I would have come over to say Howdy!!!

I wish you'd have known too! Our "camp" was pretty much next to Thin Blue's. We could see them from our tent. We were the ones right there on the corner. You probably walked right by us!

Sounds like you are hooked, Wampus. I know after my first, I was sooo tired, but very hooked. You question why you do it on Sunday morning and afternoon, but by Monday you are itchin' for the next comp! It's a good time.

Wampus, it was great to have you... ready for New Pal yet? they have a back yard rib burn competition...

I'm ready for it RIGHT NOW!!!!:becky:

And a backyard rib comp? Oh yeah baby.....I'm all over that one. The SSUDS and I are SO THERE!!!

Yup. That's how it starts.

Team gear 2006: One WSM

Team gear 2011: 2 WSMs, Custom Klose offset on a trailer with sinks/water heater, Backwoods Fatboy, 2 Weber Kettles, FEC100, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler, flat cargo trailer, enclosed cargo trailer, and a 34' motorhome. You have been warned. :becky:

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Wampus! Congrats on the beans!

JT, great job, especially considering that you were cooking with a big handicap (just kidding, Wampus) :becky:

Yup. That's how it starts.

Team gear 2006: One WSM

Team gear 2011: 2 WSMs, Custom Klose offset on a trailer with sinks/water heater, Backwoods Fatboy, 2 Weber Kettles, FEC100, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler, flat cargo trailer, enclosed cargo trailer, and a 34' motorhome. You have been warned. :becky:

:shock:

I literally said to my wife last night, "I wonder if I should just take out a small loan?"
She said, "FOR A SMOKER?!?!?!?!"

Oh boy.......just when we're paying off the bills and getting things straightened out......:tsk:

Back