MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #46
rwoodling
Knows what a fatty is.

I coat with worstersire and rub down the night before. Inject just before going on. Let come up to temp an hour prior to putting on grill. I usually cook on the grate at 235 for two hours. Then I place in a pan with 1 cup beef broth and worstesire mix. Cook till 175 then wrap pan tight. Cook until it hit 203 internal temp. Pull off and wrap in towle, place in cooler. Let settle for an hour or two and slice. Make sure you get a taste test early as their won't be much left over soon. This is my bread and butter brisket recipe and it never fails me. I do small flats this way all the time. Great.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #47
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dworl View Post
holy crap you are messed up;)
What's messed up, me liking the analogy and seeing the humor in it or you not liking it and not seeing the humor in it?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #48
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Even I saw the humor in the analogy the Funk laid down (no pun intended). Certainly not an analogy I would have thought of...but humorous none the less. Confession and Absolution starts tonight, for those of you that need it :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #49
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbraun228 View Post
Hi all! I've been looking everywhere for a choice brisket packer, but with no luck..Had to settle on a CAB flat from Sam's, but everything I've been reading tells me that I may have a hard time keeping it from drying out. My plan is to cook it low and slow on the Lang 84, over pecan, with a combo of Kosmo's beef injection and the Plowboy's Bovine Bold as my rub. I'm leaning towards fat cap down, but am open to fat cap up in case it might help with the moisture content and the reverse flow offset will protect from flames anyway. I do plan to try the butcher paper wrap at 170, after reading so many posts by Funk and others. Anyways, I'm looking for any suggestions so as to not dry out a $40 piece of meat!

Thanks in advance bro's.
Several others here have pointed out certain things already to guide you. One thing you really have to watch on a stick burner is too much bad smoke. You have a very nice smoke ring, but I am wondering how did the brisket taste as far as smoke? What wood did you use, how much, how often? Brisket is considered by many to be the ultimate challenge and rightly so. Do your homework and keep notes. Yeah, I know we all heard that in school, but it is paramount if you want to advance your bbq skills. Just don't do something because someone else does or you read about it somewhere, etc. Know why you are doing it, how and when. Be a stickler for details. Write a plan and don't deviate from it. Keep track of and know your ingredients, the amounts used and when applied. After the cook analyze your product. Is it tender, tasty and does it look good? Again, write everything down, leave nothing out. I can't tell you how much it's helped me. Above all, have fun. This forum is a great place to learn and have fun too. All kidding aside, keep at it and keep us posted on your progress. That's what it's all about.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #50
Joenizzle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

awesome pics and great responses...love this forum
Joenizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #51
firemedic
On the road to being a farker

If only I could get the wifey to talk to me like funk does... 
firemedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #52
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPig View Post
Several others here have pointed out certain things already to guide you. One thing you really have to watch on a stick burner is too much bad smoke. You have a very nice smoke ring, but I am wondering how did the brisket taste as far as smoke? What wood did you use, how much, how often? Brisket is considered by many to be the ultimate challenge and rightly so. Do your homework and keep notes. Yeah, I know we all heard that in school, but it is paramount if you want to advance your bbq skills. Just don't do something because someone else does or you read about it somewhere, etc. Know why you are doing it, how and when. Be a stickler for details. Write a plan and don't deviate from it. Keep track of and know your ingredients, the amounts used and when applied. After the cook analyze your product. Is it tender, tasty and does it look good? Again, write everything down, leave nothing out. I can't tell you how much it's helped me. Above all, have fun. This forum is a great place to learn and have fun too. All kidding aside, keep at it and keep us posted on your progress. That's what it's all about.
Using southern pecan, the meat didn't taste overly smokey..I preheat all my sticks and that helps keep my smoke thin and blue. I'm almost ocd with the details and am always looking to improve on MY technique. I think that most genius is inspired by others and I'm trying to take ideas from others to do just what you're talking about..learn why certain things work and others don't.

Q'in is both an art and a science and you can't just copy and paste and expect good results. Thanks again brethren, I feeling like a young padawan learning from some true Jedi warriors.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #53
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
If only I could get the wifey to talk to me like funk does... 
Uh oh, here we go again

Old 03-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #54
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

In case anyone is wondering... in case this thread seems to not make sence with people saying "great analogy" and what not I posted a typical serious post in response that was appreciated by all BUT then, as usual, I continued on using an analogy of sex and intercourse when you were a teenager compared to when you were grown up. The post has been scrubbed, even the clean stuff, and Phil asked me to edit it in a PM today. However, it is gone and I would have been glad to edit it but my time is up and I can't even find it and I am not going to retype it.

Such is the emmense pressures of being a funky pit master.

Please... do not see this as a challenge mods.... just trying to tell yall I came in here to clean up a mess on aisle 8 and someone got to it before me so now everythng is gone...which... in a way... I like. :-) Helps build the mystery.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #55
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

GOD BLESS YOU PHIL FOR INCLUDING THE ORIGINAL POST IN YOUR pm SO I CAN EDIT IT!!!!

The orginal post read (red is edits)

If your gonna make great brisket BUY A CHEAP FLAT first and do the "Night Train in a Dark Closet" experiement.

Then you will know the ultimate moisture and tenderness a brisket can attain WITHOUT smokeing it. If it is too tender dial it back.

Then, your right, screw prepackaged rubs--- well, except maybe ployboys, and definately the injections.... concentrate on nailing the texture first like the experiment - but in the smoker. Choose a cheap grade packer (yeah you will have fat to deal with but fat equals BIG FUDGE ZONES) above a higher grade flat. I will tell you right now that if you ask your local WalMart or Sams they will order it for you.

Now injections and elaborate rubs can make a good brisket, but not until you nail the texture and tenderness and moisture down. The higher the heat the easier it is to nail. You can get there low and slow (225) but a novice should not start here. You should smoke at no lower than 250-260 GRATE temp. OR you can do what many of us here do... smoke 3 four hours at 225 or so then ramp it up once it takes the smoke (this gets ur smoke ring set better).

Now for the real reason I am commenting. To bring it to the level everyone can understand.

Black Ops - Viet Nam - Muslim Mod

Everyone likes to kill people. Chances are you started killing infidels, Viet Cong, Iraqis, afghans, Taliban long before you could legally kill them. I am just asking you to compare how you killed them as a youngster to they way you kill them now.

Bringing this home. When you killed your first infidel did you inject the infidel’s body part with hot slippery lubricant used for enemas or colonoscopys? No! Did you Kill the infidel from behind, while they slept, ate, or otherwise on their belly? Did you go find a professional mercenary (high quality brisket) to shove your jagged mace into or did any low levelGrunt that would yield to a knife with you do fine (select brisket packer)? Did you take all night to shoot your rounds off (low and slow) or was Saddam yelling "hurry up I need to take a dump" at the door you had to kill them real quick --- was your first killing hot and fast?

As you grew older, sure, you shoved other things in as you killed, watched videos about killing, looked at pictures... tons of pictures... sniffed the wrappings, slathered all sorts of flammable liquids all over their bodies, killing getting more complex all the time... and maybe not with the great results you'd expect... at least for yourself--- then you have the briskets that were not worth the money, tainted or won't let you touch the taint, briskets that were ****ing mind trips and played games with you in the battle field, false starts you had to finish in the camp ovens... and if you were lucky... you got to kill a nice infidel on one shelf as another type of dead infide'sblood dripped over them in a glorious three way orgy of death,gunpowder and burned flesh. But eventually, let me assure you.. you settle and master one technique.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #56
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow...the Funk Man is quite the talented editor :)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #57
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

LOL Kill the Infidel... I like it... something everyone can relate to... the slitting of the throats of the non-believers

Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #58
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
LOL Kill the Infidel... I like it... something everyone can relate to... the slitting of the throats of the non-believers

LOL I would love to see you do a thread/video on cooking whole hog one day. I can only imagine how that might go!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #59
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Donnie, I love the Funk. I spent a day watching all of your videos on YouTube a while back. BUT the original post was a bit much. I'm glad you were able to salvage it, because I think you made a lot of good points.

Coincidentally, I was in Austin last week and went to Franklin BBQ (twice). His brisket rocked my world. For the last six days, I've gone to bed and woken up thinking about his brisket. If something happened to me and I was never able to travel to Austin again, I would be tempted to kill a man so that I could be have his brisket as my death row last meal. It was that good.

But, the point of my story, as far as I can tell and from what he was willing to tell me, he only uses a rub of 50/50% mix of kosher salt and coarse pepper. No injections, no fancy rubs, no beef marinades, no anything. Then smoke at ~250* - 260* with oak and then wrap in paper when it is ready. The results were mind blowing.

I've seen the light. I now believe everything the Funk has been preaching. I will never ever doubt the funk.

Here is a video of Franklin's, you can see some of his methods:
http://www.chow.com/food-news/73232/...t/?tag=nl.e349

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote