Your comments for February KCBS meeting.

1006 people seem to disagree.
with Jeff only getting 950 votes I'd say better than 10,000 agree that no report is OK.

Maybe next year it needs to be an issue that candidates put in their Bullsheet answers. After all that's the only true communication to all members.

And just remember some years incumbents can run but the next time they are term limited so Mike, Linda and Paul will not be running in 2013. However they can run again in 2014.

Maybe now's the time to look at who is up for 2011 elections and to see if it's open to change or there are multiple incumbents. I don't know the answer by the way.

Yes starting early would help

The contest Reps who are CBJ Class Instructors have should a advantage
They can just know more of the voters

with Jeff only getting 950 votes I'd say better than 10,000 agree that no report is OK.

10,000 ???? I'm sorry, I don't see where you got that number. :confused: Please explain.

10,000 ???? I'm sorry, I don't see where you got that number. :confused: Please explain.
Like Thom said over 10,000 did not vote for change so that means they are happy. No vote means we're OK with the way things are going and don't really care who runs it.

Sad but probably true.
Why is it sad. Members voted for the 3 current BOD members and returned them. That means that there were not enough voters that thought they should be replaced. So thsoe now complaining are in a significant minority. Maybe if we care for the future of the KCBS it's time to pull together and support the BOD and see if we can make thigns work.

Like Thom said over 10,000 did not vote for change so that means they are happy. No vote means we're OK with the way things are going and don't really care who runs it.
Saying that just because they did not vote they are "OK with the way things are ..." is an assumption and I don't buy that.

Why is it sad. Members voted for the 3 current BOD members and returned them. That means that there were not enough voters that thought they should be replaced. So thsoe now complaining are in a significant minority. Maybe if we care for the future of the KCBS it's time to pull together and support the BOD and see if we can make thigns work.

It is sad if they are just voting for him because they have heard of his name rather than what he plans to bring to the board. The only thing I do agree with you on is your last statement.

Abstains are not votes for or against something. You can't paint the picture how you want to. It doesn't work that way, Ford.

Abstaining means choosing not to vote, I wonder how many of the non-voters were in the same boat that I was. I'm busy, so I don't often have a chance to read the Bullsheet; I didn't get my auto generated election email notice & I rarely go to the KCBS website. If I didn't read this and other forums, I probably would have missed voting. If you're a new KCBS member (under 2 years) the time frame of the elections is probably not something you think about.

I wonder how many casual KCBS members got their election notification email and blew it off because they didn't recognize the sender. I was surprised that there wasn't an email directly from KCBS letting members know that an election ballot was coming from a different source and to contact the office if you don't have it by a certain date.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of the non-voters were in the same boat that I was. I'm busy, so I don't often have a chance to read the Bullsheet; I didn't get my auto generated election email notice & I rarely go to the KCBS website. If I didn't read this and other forums, I probably would have missed voting. If you're a new KCBS member (under 2 years) the time frame of the elections is probably not something you think about.

Some, sure, but how many of the 10k members are people that have taken the CBJ class, gotten the membership as a side "benefit", and either reup it so they can judge the local arts council bbq contest or just haven't let it lapse yet? I'd be more curious to see a demographic breakdown of the vote - cooks vs. judges vs. reps vs. organizers and see who it was that really elected them.

Some, sure, but how many of the 10k members are people that have taken the CBJ class, gotten the membership as a side "benefit", and either reup it so they can judge the local arts council bbq contest or just haven't let it lapse yet? I'd be more curious to see a demographic breakdown of the vote - cooks vs. judges vs. reps vs. organizers and see who it was that really elected them.

Agree 100% - I was in no way suggesting that 10,000 people didn't get their ballot.

I'd be real curious about the breakdown as well.

Abstains are not votes for or against something. You can't paint the picture how you want to. It doesn't work that way, Ford.
You are correct that I was making assumptions but I don't understand you saying that people abstained. To do that requires them to cast a vote that says I abstain. Those that didn't vote chose not to vote for whatever reason.

But still the majority that voted chose to return the incumbents and in a very convincing fashion. That sends a message to those of us that wanted change. We're in the minority.

You are correct that I was making assumptions but I don't understand you saying that people abstained. To do that requires them to cast a vote that says I abstain. Those that didn't vote chose not to vote for whatever reason.

But still the majority that voted chose to return the incumbents and in a very convincing fashion. That sends a message to those of us that wanted change. We're in the minority.

Consult your Websters on the meaning of "abstain".

abstain: To refrain from something by one's own choice {thefreedictionary.com}

Consult your Websters on the meaning of "abstain".

abstain: To refrain from something by one's own choice {thefreedictionary.com}
OK let's get technical. Your definition applies to an action such as smoking or not smoking, swearing or not swearing. You choose to do that. In parlimentary rules you have a choice vote or not to vote. Once you vote you can agree, disagree or abstain. Just look at the recent minutes of the BOD meeting. If a person does not attend they are not counted as abstaining but as not voting. You can vote for up to 4 people or you can vote for less than 4 and abstain by default from excersizing your right to vote for 4. But in order to abstain you must make a vote to be counted.

Term Limits

Almost forgot

Term Limits - Allowed to serve X number of terms (3 or 4 maybe) then a mandatory cooling off period of Y years (or 1 term). For those that continue to want to serve in a capacity within the organization, they can continue to serve and have roles on respective committees.

This has been and still is the policy of KCBS, there is a limit of 2 terms on the Board, you can serve again after one(1) year if so electe to do so.

Ford, we don't use parlimentary procedure for the members to vote. People who abstain from voting choose not to vote. People who choose to abstain from sex choose not to have it. There might be any number of reasons why around 8700 people chose not to vote and abstained from doing so. Abstaining from voting in an election is totally different than abstaining from voting under parlimentary procedure.

I think I'm going to abstain from this thread.

Who cares anyway.

Back to Don's original post. If you want to send him something use his email don't post ideas here.

Back