MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
Hankster
Got Wood.

Default Results of Modifications to my NB American Gourmet Smoker

Okay folks! With the help of a buddy of mine who owns a pipe fitting and welding company, I created a heat shield going into the CC from the FB using some 22 gauge steel that looks sorta like a dryer vent and a heat conductor/diffusing plate that sits on the bottom and covers part of the heat shield on one end and runs over to the other with about 3 mm space before the other end below the grates and the smokestack. The HC/DP has half-moon holes on the edges going down to distribute the heat and the smoke. I have some digital pictures but I don't have any space on the Net I can store them to show what it looks like so I apologize if this frustrates anybody.

After seasoning the metal in a 4 hour fire with bacon grease, I smoked a 12 lb boston butt overnight on July 3rd and did 4 racks of babyback ribs, a rack of spare ribs and a bunch of corn on the cob. I had to add more coals every 3 hours to keep the fire going, but that's no big deal. The thermometer held at 275 degrees up top and at 235 at the grate level. No more excessive heat, hot spots or overcooking.

The boston butt had a nice, carmelized rind formed from the JH Pig Rub I used on it. After an hour resting in the foil, the neckbone popped out easily and the pork had a nice, pink smoke ring under the rind from the applewood. It pulled apart really easily for pulled pork and the meat was so freaking tender, juicy and flavorful. We ran out of bread at the Q on the 4th from everyone pigging out on the pulled pork!

This modification was DA BOMB!!! I adapted the idea from what some of ya'll have done with your banderas--I had to do a different sized heat shield for this NB AGS. And the conductor/diffusing plate was an idea I'd read in another forum. Now, I have a custom-tuned smoker which I know will make great pulled pork, ribs, brisket or whatever else you wanna smoke!!!

Mark it, Dudes!!

Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
. I have some digital pictures but I don't have any space on the Net I can store them to show what it looks like so
Hank, you can post them here. Any screen you post from (except quick reply) will have a "add attachment" button. Click on that and a new page will come up that will allow you to upload your pix. I
think there's a 3 per post limit and a total filesize limit too.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2004, 10:23 AM   #3
Bigmofo300lbs
Full Fledged Farker

Would love to see the mods! Mook and I were at HD a few weeks back and were looking at dryer vents to do something similar. I have the same smoker so again, would love to see the mods!

Kamado #7, WSM, 3 Weber Kettles, Smokey Joe, Gasser & Foreman
Bigmofo300lbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #4
Hankster
Got Wood.

When I get home later tonight, I'll upload them!

It didn't cost too much because my buddy had a welding toch, welding filler, a drill press and proper circular bits to drill the holes. The steel cost only about 10 bucks for both plates.

Old 07-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
charliec
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

i would love to see those pics!!
i have one on order and would like to
see the mods you made.
thanks
charliec
charliec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2004, 07:27 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

do I have this right.. Isnt the American Gourmet Smoker a horizontal wirh 12x20 main chamber?? Little bitty thing? WE NEED PICTURES!!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Post "the limit per post is 5, so do two or more post.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
Hankster
Got Wood.

Here are some pictures of the mods

Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 PM   #9
Hankster
Got Wood.

And another one:

Old 07-07-2004, 11:11 PM   #10
Hankster
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
do I have this right.. Isnt the American Gourmet Smoker a horizontal wirh 12x20 main chamber?? Little bitty thing? WE NEED PICTURES!!
That's the one!!!

Put together...

Old 07-07-2004, 11:35 PM   #11
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Can I ask if you measure pit temps from left to right as well as top to grate?
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2004, 11:42 PM   #12
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Hankster, Nice Work. Cook your friend some ribs, some damn good ribs. Awesome Mod!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2004, 07:55 AM   #13
Hankster
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Can I ask if you measure pit temps from left to right as well as top to grate?
Jim
Yes. My buddy has one of those electronic sensors used to test AC heat--we checked cooking level left, right and center. The thermometer that came with the grill was at the top. When the top temp was 250, the left (next to the heat shield) was 235, the center was 225 and the right (next to the smokestack) was 220. a 15 degree differential which is acceptible. That's with a pretty decent fire in the firebox. Before the mod, the same fire would have the top thermometer pushing 350-400. That was WAY overheating even at the cooking level. This mod fixed that problem but good!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 07:57 AM   #14
Hankster
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
Hankster, Nice Work. Cook your friend some ribs, some damn good ribs. Awesome Mod!
My buddy who helped with the welding and shaping of steel, as well as the drilling of the holes was at my place on the 4th, along with his wife and 3 year old son. He ate 4 pulled pork sandwiches and a bunch of caribbean jerk babyback ribs! The mods worked like a Swiss freaking watch, man!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 AM   #15
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
The mods worked like a Swiss freaking watch, man!!!
So does Photo resizer.