MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #16
BobF
Take a breath!

Somewhere, in the UDS thread I think, there are some pictures where Norco used a drum with removable top and turned it upside down so it now has a removable bottom. Makes it easy to clean. He had the drum place cut the bottom out in the manner they would a top for a drum with sealed top.

I have several on low stands with caster wheels.

So far I have cooked with lump and briq once each. I liked the results both times. Limited sample. I just finished it 2 weeks ago.

Mine was built completely weld free. I put the basket together with bolts. I used conduit nuts on the pipe nipples with a little JB weld on the outside.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default barrel type

Well Smokers and Smokettes, I have secured 2 barrels that were used for natural essential oils (peppermint and/or Eucalyptus Globulus). The dimensions are 34" tall and 23" diameter.

The construction is listed as "tinplate galvanized iron". Is that the right type of barrel? I thought these things were supposed to be steel. Thanks.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #18
ON THE FARM
Full Fledged Farker

If they are “galvanized” don’t use them, when heat is applyed the out gassing of the galvanizing is poisonous.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #19
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE FARM View Post
If they are “galvanized” don’t use them, when heat is applyed the out gassing of the galvanizing is poisonous.

In the immortal words of Florida Evans..."dayum. Dayum. DAYUM!"

OK, back to Craigslist.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #20
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

The subject of whether or not to use galvanized steel is one that gets reviewed pretty regular here. Yes, zinc fumes are not healthy. But the risks are probably negligible in a UDS. Locate and read the thread " UDS and Galvanized" There you will find a PDF about zinc poisoning.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #21
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have been putting casters on the bottom lately. Too cheap to buy a drum dolley. I am used to my drums, for temp i use a spicewine gauge and shoot for 200 Degrees on gauge. Since it measures temp @ 4" inside at 200 center grate is 230-250 depending on load of meat.
Here is how i have been building them lately.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=86

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uds, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker