MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #91
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Can anyone shed light on this part of the rules for the onsite judging? Are those competing only being judged by three judges and, if so, do they all count? Or are there a few sets of judges coming in 15 minute intervals with the lowest 1 dropped ala MIM?

If it's 3 judges, each coming 15 minutes a part, that's 45 minutes to keep the food warm. Is there time to prep the desert between the last judge for Chef's Choice and the first judge for desert? 12pm "fattie" turn-in, 12:30 Pizza, 1-1:45 Chefs choice, 1:45-2:30 Dessert, 2:30 Hot Dog?

3 Judges will arrive at your site at a predetermined time and will have 10-13 minutes to judge.
Times of judges arrival at your site will be given out at the cooks meeting. They will be in 15 minute intervals.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #92
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Going out on a limp here by answering without discussing with the rest of the organizers. So eric will chime in if theres anything different or to add.

We are working out the logistics of 3 or 6 judges(waiting to see how many we have signed up). This will also dictate how long they have to judge. In either case, ALL the judges will arrive at one time and judge both catagories(and awarding seperate scores.) This is NOT MIM style an yes we will drop the lowest score if we can use 6 judges. I will work directly with KCBS reps who have experience with this type of judging to get the judging logistics done properly. We are not the first KCBS contest to do this style.

AT THE JUDGES TENT. Fattie at 12:00, Pizza 12:30. Hot dog(optional)1:00PM

Chefs Choice and desert are judged together(seperate scores) at your site, starting at 3PM. Thats a minimum of 2 hours to prep chefs choice and desert.

On EDIT: I just spoke to Linda from KCBS about the judging. Since she has experience with it, she will oversee and manage this judging for us. We will be having a meeting with her to solidify the logistics of the onsite judging when I return from the Royal. There will be ample time given prior to the contest for competitors to plan.

1 - A single judge will not got to a site. The judges will arrive together.

It will either be one group of 6 judges with a table captain
or
two groups of three judges each, arriving 15 minutes apart, with a table captain for each group.
This will be determined when we have a better idea of our head count. In either case, both catagories iron chef and desert will be judged in that timeframe, so judging both catagories should take 1 hour to complete.

2 - Table captains will ensure timely movement of the judging groups.

3 - The judges meeting will be extended to explain the rules and it will be stressed that showmanship is not part of the score.

4- Unlike MIM, their will be no comparison or discussion among judges. The product will be judged on its own merit.

more to follow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC251127.jpg (71.4 KB, 148 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #93
motoeric
Babbling Farker

I will go into detail on Clint's question later tonight (I'm in a bit of a rush), but I wanted to let people know that I spoke with the manager of the Restaurant Depot that is local to the event and he is in the loop and says that they will have everything in stock.

The Restaurant Depot is literally on the same block as the competition, about 3 miles to the north.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #94
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Just an observation.

If judging at site doesn't start until 3pm (conceivably continuing to 4pm+/-, this is fixing a rather large block of time for contestants and the judges.

As a contestant I don't feel that I need or want another 2 hours. (2 1/2 without the optional hot dog.)

Would it make sense to take the optional hot dog out of the middle of this and put it up front at 11:30?
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #95
BBQchef33

Hot dog can be moved possibly. We will take it into consideration.

Hot dog was placed there so those that choose not to do it can utilize the time for chefs choice.

The large block of time is intended to give ample time to prepare. Under the guideines given, 2 hours is not excessive to prepare 2 catagories. (Other folks complained that there was not enough time)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #96
SmokeInDaEye

Thanks, Phil and Eric. A few more thoughts if you'll allow.

So are the 3 or six judges supposed to sit and eat (thus meaning a table, chairs, and tablescapes ala http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...04&postcount=3) or are those competing just putting nice platters and/or 12 plates (6 chefs choice and six dessert) on their existing work area?

Can those who are competing have the onsite judges help trim their meat for the KCBS portion as long as they're there?

Finally, for those who are competing, how big exactly is a "small pizza box"?

Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Last edited by SmokeInDaEye; 09-25-2008 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #97
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Thanks, Phil and Eric. A few more thoughts if you'll allow.

So are the 3 or six judges supposed to sit and eat (thus meaning a table, chairs, and tablescapes ala http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...04&postcount=3) or are those competing just putting nice platters and/or 12 plates (6 chefs choice and six dessert) on their existing work area?
After speaking with Linda yesterday, most likely, there will be 6 judges. But although normally they arrive in 2 groups of 3, we will try for all 6 for the sake of time and ease.

The number of teams and time will dictate if they arrive in 2 groups of 3(15 mins apart), or all 6 at once. But they will NOT arrive individually, and remember, chefs choice and desert are presented together in a "tablescape". We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.

(3 or 6)will be worked out when we have a final head count. I will be meeting with our KCBS reps(LindaM) and the organizers to finalize the logistics and notice will go out with ample time to prepare prior to the contest. Linda has done this before with much success.

Quote:

Can those who are competing have the onsite judges help trim their meat for the KCBS portion as long as they're there?
Of course!!! amd I think in your case, you may have better luck if they cook for you too.

Quote:

Finally, for those who are competing, how big exactly is a "small pizza box"?
10 x 10 x 1.75.
And on the outside
its off white in color
With red writing
Kind of a dull gray color inside
Biodegradeable
and contains no flourocarbons

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 09-27-2008, 01:05 AM   #98
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
After speaking with Linda yesterday, most likely, there will be 6 judges. But although normally they arrive in 2 groups of 3, we will try for all 6 for the sake of time and ease.

The number of teams and time will dictate if they arrive in 2 groups of 3(15 mins apart), or all 6 at once. But they will NOT arrive individually, and remember, chefs choice and desert are presented together in a "tablescape". We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.

(3 or 6)will be worked out when we have a final head count. I will be meeting with our KCBS reps(LindaM) and the organizers to finalize the logistics and notice will go out with ample time to prepare prior to the contest. Linda has done this before with much success.

Of course!!! amd I think in your case, you may have better luck if they cook for you too.

10 x 10 x 1.75.
And on the outside
its off white in color
With red writing
Kind of a dull gray color inside
Biodegradeable
and contains no flourocarbons
Dang. I ask a couple questions and get slammed by folks who won't even be there????

I was just trying to clarify a couple of odd rules and help others out. So if dessert and the entree are being presented together as a single tablescape ala Sandra freakin' Lee, we are basically making a fancy dinner setting for six?

Last edited by SmokeInDaEye; 09-27-2008 at 09:01 PM..

Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #99
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone know the latest on Saturday we can pull in? We'll be coming over on the ferry and won't be there until noon.

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #100
BBQchef33

Well if u want to do a Sara Lee, I'd recommend u dress up like her too, after all, its open garnish and you can be considered a meatball.

but...

you are judged on your chefs choice creation and desert creation.

Only the 2 dishes and its contents are being judged based on Creativity/Originality/Taste. If you choose to serve the chefs choice plated, then all the plates will be judged for creativity and originality(appearance), as a group, just like when u open a 9x9 inch box, all 6 pieces are judged as a group (or appearance).

Consider that table your box, a really big 9x9, and what you do around it is garnish. OPEN GARNISH. It will look nice, but is not to effect your scores.

If I was doing this, i would have a large platter, family style, with a large roast, and that platter would be professionally garnished as I can. My place settings would be empty, I may have a couple of simple sides(not judged) and I would carve the entree when the judges arrived so they can see juices pouring out and anticipate....

OR, I would have plate settings ready for when the judges arrive.

anything else on my table is just garnish.

but since your not competing this is all moot.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 09-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #101
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Well if u want to do a Sara Lee, I'd recommend u dress up like her too, after all, its open garnish and you can be considered a meatball.

but...

you are judged on your chefs choice creation and desert creation.

Only the 2 dishes and its contents are being judged based on Creativity/Originality/Taste. If you choose to serve the chefs choice plated, then all the plates will be judged for creativity and originality(appearance), as a group, just like when u open a 9x9 inch box, all 6 pieces are judged as a group (or appearance).

Consider that table your box, a really big 9x9, and what you do around it is garnish. OPEN GARNISH. It will look nice, but is not to effect your scores.

If I was doing this, i would have a large platter, family style, with a large roast, and that platter would be professionally garnished as I can. My place settings would be empty, I may have a couple of simple sides(not judged) and I would carve the entree when the judges arrived so they can see juices pouring out and anticipate....

OR, I would have plate settings ready for when the judges arrive.

anything else on my table is just garnish.

but since your not competing this is all moot.
Thanks, Poo. Starting to make more sense, though the carving at the table borders on showmanship. In support of our only local contest, I will be competing and attempting to defend my grilling title.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #102
BBQchef33

Showmanship is not judged.. but we never said you cant be out there, we said its not required as in MIM. I think you dressed up as sara lee would be awesome!

come to think of it, it is a halloween festival...
have Dracula coming out to slice a leg of lamb.. rare... garnished with little slabs of red meat.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 09-27-2008, 12:44 PM   #103
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
We will have volunteers bring chairs to your sites so all u need is the table.
As a competitor, do I have the right to refuse to allow chairs in my site for the judges?

I want to keep them on their toes.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #104
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

Phil

What do I have to do to Judge this contest?
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #105
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker View Post
Phil

What do I have to do to Judge this contest?
Go to the event website (www.bbqbattleli.com), dl the judges app and send it in.

I'm assuming that you are referring to Saturday?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brethren, Competition, october, sayville