MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #46
Smokin J
Full Fledged Farker

I always look forward to the grilling competitions....... when it includes wings, steak, pork chop, fish ect.....

Fattie and Pizza are ok too, if they were in addition to some of the other categories.

I'm sure it will be a lot of fun, but I just can't get myself excited about cooking a hot dog or a dessert, and have to shmooze a judge in our area.

Maybe next year we can vote on what the grill competition categories will be.
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG #84 W/ DELUX WARMER
MC PR-60 PIG ROASTER
MC PR-72 PIG ROASTER
CGL-60 MagiCater Charcoal Grill
Smokin J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #47
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

its not to late to change the whole program is it ?, with some teams making a long trip to compete it only seems fair that a proper grilling event is offered, also this event will not count for NEBS points. Seems like there was way to much thought in putting this together, Keep it Simple
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #48
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
its not to late to change the whole program is it ?, with some teams making a long trip to compete it only seems fair that a proper grilling event is offered, also this event will not count for NEBS points. Seems like there was way to much thought in putting this together, Keep it Simple
Why change it? What is not proper about it?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #49
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Well I for one am looking forward to the grilling, and based on what I am reading here it is beginning to look like we will win . . . albeit by default!

This whole judging at the site thing fits right into our overall game plan, which is to have fun. Looking forward to what should be a blast.

P.S. Why knock the only game in town . . . when it hasn't even happened yet? Is grilling a hot dog going to take that much out of your game for Sunday's turn-ins?

Obviously, Sabrett has taken at least a minimum interest in this event. Having a brand name sponsor is good for the future of this or any event. Any Company showing an interest is something that should be embraced, if not for the present, then at least for the future potential. Maybe Premio or another company will take notice and provide sausage next year.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #50
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Hot Dogs ? Iron Chef ? On Site Judging ? its a circus, not a contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Why change it? What is not proper about it?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #51
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez20 View Post
I've got 2 questions on the grilling. Can the fatty be wrapped in something? I've got an idea that I want to try but requires wrapping, sort of like a fatty wellington.
Damn you!

That is the exact thing that I've been working on since I asked back on 07/28 "For the "Fatty" turn-in, is stuffing or wrapping the Fatty with something permitted?"

And yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts when I talk about Fatty Wellington.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Old 09-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #52
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

if i am correct the grilling event that is in question requires an entry fee. to remedy this controversy why not have a standard grilling event per the fee, and hold the present one simultaniously and complementary. IMHO this should give everyone a choice, the ability to do both and provide more opportunitys for having fun. take what i say for what its worth though, i gotta work saturdays and don't show up till 11:00pm!
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #53
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Hot Dogs ? Iron Chef ? On Site Judging ? its a circus, not a contest.
Easy solution. If you do not like then don't compete. I could see you bashing it after the fact if it didnt work out but before it happens? Nobody is forcing you to participate. You are out of line
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #54
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey y'all.
I am really saddened to read some of this stuff this morning.
I believe that perhaps too much is being read into the guidelines.
There have been several meeting on this and other topics over the past year and believe me, nobody was looking to make this more complicated; the idea was and still is to have some fun with this whole thing.
Why not re-condsider some postitions per above and give it a shot for the sake of giving it a shot? ; we're not talking rocket surgery here, just some guidelines to have some fun and creativity. If it doesn't work out or needs some tweaking and refinements for next year, I am sure all comments and input etc. will be well recieved.
Regards to all,
Wes
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #55
deez20
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Damn you!

That is the exact thing that I've been working on since I asked back on 07/28 "For the "Fatty" turn-in, is stuffing or wrapping the Fatty with something permitted?"

And yes, my wife thinks I'm nuts when I talk about Fatty Wellington.
It sounds like a good concept in my head although I haven't tried it out yet. If you google fatty wellington the first link has a picture of one and it looks pretty good. We can have a battle of the fatty wellington come October.

Chubby Hubby BBQ

WSM
Yoder YS640
Cookshack 008
GMG Davy Crockett
Large Big Green Egg
The Fastest and most accurate Thermapen, the ORANGE Thermapen.
Stoker
deez20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #56
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez20 View Post
It sounds like a good concept in my head although I haven't tried it out yet. If you google fatty wellington the first link has a picture of one and it looks pretty good. We can have a battle of the fatty wellington come October.
And I thought that it was such an obscure idea that I never even thought of googling it!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer

Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #57
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not bashing it, and I'm not cooking it, its just my opinion, and since when did you become the sentinal of this forum ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Easy solution. If you do not like then don't compete. I could see you bashing it after the fact if it didnt work out but before it happens? Nobody is forcing you to participate. You are out of line

Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #58
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'm not bashing it, and I'm not cooking it, its just my opinion, and since when did you become the sentinal of this forum ?
I am very sensitive when it comes to my home contest. Seems like a lot of complaining about an event out here can dismantle it quickly. You are entitled to your opinion. Are you not tired tired of the same old thing? Sarcastic----->Here we go, give me my (4) 9x9 and some standard garnish ughhhh.That is what Sunday if for. Who knows you might just end up liking it.

edit: I read your post wrong, thought you said you WERE cooking it. Now that I reread it and realized that you stated that you were NOt cooking it I can only say this....a shut up a you face

Last edited by Sledneck; 09-17-2008 at 12:37 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 PM   #59
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You don't think that equating a cook-off to a circus is bashing it?

And wouldn't you consider that criticizing an event in that matter when you are not cooking, judging or assisting in any way makes you the one that is a self appointed sentinel?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #60
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

First off..

Hot Dog? that was news to me.

I believe it came in from a sponsor. They will be optional and not count towards GC.

Now lets discuss the Chefs Choice/Dessert category. This was my idea. It came from my visit to The Jack and how impressed I was at the Chefs Choice presentations down there. We wanted to do something different for this contest. We decided to give you guys carte blanche in your presentations and have some fun.. use a farkin balloon animal to display your pork chops.. chit I make palm trees out of carrots and green peppers.. rosettes out of radishes, and crowns our of tomatoes. Why are we being close minded?

A quick note on Dessert.. nothing pisses me off more than someone turning in cheescake they bought at the local bakery. Deserts must be made on site. Chocolate mouse can be prepared onsite, grilled fruits, even baking. Use your talents to make something NOT pre-purchased. We had a fruit catagory last year, its now expanded to include ANY desert.

On to Chefs choice and the onsite judging. This is NOT MIM type judging. Its just a presentation table at your site. This idea was discussed for weeks with many of us, I asked for input from alot of respected folks on the circuit and it was even brought to the New Ideas and R&D committee at KCBS who thought it was a great expansion of concept. It was never met with anything negative except the logistics of judging on time and we will work that out.

First off.. dont confuse this with MIM judging. It IS NOT. We are NOT JUDGING SHOWMANSHIP. It is not relevant and you do not have to schmoose the judges. You don't even have to talk to them. We did this to enable competitors to use everything at their disposal without having to bring it to the judges tent.

All u need to do is present a platter, with an open garnish in the middle of your table, OR, make place settings. We are doing this so you have full reign over your presentation, not limited to 9x9 boxes and don't have to carry large serving dishes to a judges tent. We felt that having open sizes would make it impossible to fit all entries at the judges table(under the tent) and detract from your presentations. Thats why its at your site. We only care about the table, not the site, not the speech, non of that. Its ALL the presentation.

The goal here is to bring out your creativity beyond the 9x9 inch box. We wanted an open garnish and for folks to go crazy on the displays using whatever they wanted. There will be a 2 hour window after the fatty turn in to prepare your iron chef displays. When I was at The Jack, I saw some of the most amazing turn ins I have ever seen.

You know that big ass dish you use once a year at thanksgiving?? Or that fish shaped wicker basket u never use? .. Take it and dress things up!!! We felt that if you want to use a Sterling silver platter, then do so, if u want an ice sculpture in your presentation, go for it.. but we felt that NOT having to limit sizes to 9x9, and not having to carry it to the judges tent would make it easier for you, and allow you options you don't normally have. You can use things you would not normally use and you can setup your display at your site however you want.

If you dont want to do the presentation platter, then instead of a 9x9 inch box, we will give 9 inch plates and you can make seperate place settings. thats up to YOU.

C'mon folks.. its a contest. No one ever said that we are limited to 9x9 styrofoam. Look at the creations here from Ricks Tropical delight, look at the stuff from Curt McAdams and our other members who create amazing displays using nothing but a serving platter and open garnish. This is where we are going.. You can still do steaks, pork chops, fish, wings, whatever you want. But it will NOT be displayed in a 9x9, instead, its a true all out presentation like you would for a formal dinner at your holiday tables, or when you want to impress.

Think outside of they box guys..

The goal here was to do something different and something fun.. not to start a damn boycott because we dumped the styrofoam. The alternative is we do beef, steak, fish, fruit in a 9x9 box. Same ol same ol. Do we not want to try something different?

Heres a simple example(wasnt a comp), something like this, with your desert next to it. If you want additional sides to make it prettier, they simply count as garnish. Why is this such a bad thing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0645.sized.jpg (180.3 KB, 170 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brethren, Competition, october, sayville