MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #181
Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
It would greatly help us out if someone could volunteer to be an 'event photographer'.

We didn't have any organized photos last year and thank goodness a number of teams shared their photos. We would like to be a bit more organized this year and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Eric
My friend Rob is a professional photographer, he will be around all weekend on and off taking pictures of the event, teams, etc. I will be sure that I get a disc with all of them to Eric, Phil, etc. within a few days after the competition. Also, Eric - I'm not sure how I missed it but I was unaware that you were looking for people to volunteer their time pre-competition or I definitely would have offered. I am less than 5 minutes from the competition site so if you need anything in the next 2 weeks, feel free to PM me and ask.
Smoker'sLoungeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #182
rbsnwngs
is One Chatty Farker

Dan Faraone made us a disc last year of the event I will see if he is willing to help out again.

WILLIE PALOOOOZA 2017 Will Happen
http://williepallooza.blogspot.com/
www.williebsbbq.com
38th IS ALMOST LIKE WINNING
rbsnwngs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #183
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Thats not true at all, the grilling portion of the contest since day one has not attempted to comply with the grilling rules as established and adopted by NEBS for 2008. This is why the grilling portion of this contest does not count for NEBS team of the year points. The grilling rules were developed in response to years of contests being organized with different and inconsistant rules and policies. It is the sole choice of the contest to adopt these rules or not, this contest did not. it should however prove interesting to judge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
NEBS rules were not "abondoned"/ NEBS was given the opportunity and turned it down.
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #184
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I am. That's what happened. If you would like to know why, I suggest that you contact NEBS.

I completely understand their position and have no problem with it whatsoever. Hopefully other events that I'm involved with in the area (such as Smoke and Steam in Oyster Bay) will fall within the parameters of what NEBS is comfortable with and be part of the TOY series.

Eric
Eric-
That's really not correct.

NEBS came up with grilling rules in response to the fact that everyone was sick of going to contests and having to ask 900 questions about the rules since they were different depending on the organizer, and what was given was unclear... stuffing, garnish, bring your own plates, wrapping in another meat, can the sausage be premade, even down to the definition of a shellfish... or what constitues a fillet etc. ... and the NEBS rules were made to give organizers options without it being a total re-education for team every single event.

And, the NEBS grilling rules clearly state they can be modified by a organizer if he wants to make additions, changes, and then they are presented to the BOD for approval. Harpoon requires their beer to be used... GOTB limits what may be used in a stuffing... etc.

The format that you submitted included onsite judging, it was discussed and decided that as every single other event that counts towards team of the year involves blind judging, that this format was inconsistant to the point it introduced factors that were not present in any other NEBS event.

So in reponse, you and the other organizers decided you would rather use your format than change that one aspect of the contest. Which is totally fine, and obviously up to you, but lets give the whole story here before saying that NEBS turned you down like the door was closed in your face.
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #185
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

To date I have been pretty quiet publicly on some of these rules issues, preferring to deal with them via PM or not at all.

Much to Clint's credit he has asked qustions about the rules, and as a result has been made to feel like a bad guy, and been labelled a whiner.

Having now officially received the rules for the grilling competition, I am more confused than ever.

I, and I’m sure many others as well, appreciate everything that has been and is being done with Battle of the BBQ Brethren.

But there were a reasonably clear set of rules for the grilling competition on the competition’s website. They covered what, times, and how to submit all entries. These are the rules that everyone to date has entered the competition under, as they were the only official rules on the competition site.

I understand that within the document it states:

This document is subject to modification and change.

All teams will be notified of changes to the event via email.”

One concern that I have is that there is confusion being created by these changes in turn-in procedure, times, and judging, that have the potential to outweigh the benefits that are sought to be achieved by bringing out creativity and flair.

Another concern is that I generally don’t like rules that change after I have thrown my money into the pot, so to speak, and I'm sure others feel the same way too. I think it can potentially create a situation that calls into question the integrity of the event. I am sure that the changes are being made for the best of reasons, and I am not questioning your integrity, but there is a potential some to think that it is done to favor someone.

If the rules are set and never change, there is no questioning. The rules are what they are, and that’s it. However when the rules change after the fact, is the basis for the rule change beyond reproach? It’s just something to consider for the sake of the Brethren name that is attached to the competition.

Now, on to issues with the newly issued rules, as copied and pasted below (red highlightng on text added).

Quote:
--This document replaces the Grilling page of the competitors application—

Saturday, 10/25/08

Battle of the BBQ Brethren

Grilling

Meat Inspection: 8:00 am ongoing
Cooks Meeting: 9:00 am

Judges Meeting
A) Sign In: 10:45 am
B) Attendance: Teams are invited to send a (singular) representative to the meeting.

Categories and Turn-Ins

A) 12:00 pm Fatty
1) A Fatty is defined as a chub of ground meat(s) cooked whole with a minimum single weight of 1 pound. Must be cooked from raw. Multiple chubs or over-sized chubs may be cooked. Open stuffing and open garnish in a 9x9 box. A minimum of 6 slices must be visible. No individually cooked smaller links (under 16oz). No cased sausages. No precooked, No pre-smoked.
2) Details on Fatties can be found here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121385&postcount=11
3) Garnish is open.

B) 12:30 pm Pizza
1) We will have pizza boxes available for the competitors use.
2) Pizza dough does not need to be made on-site.
3) Each entry must be a minimum of six (6) separate slices or six (6) individual pizzas.
4) Precooked toppings will be allowed on the pizza.
5) No garnish is allowed with this category.

C) 1:00 pm Hot Dog
1) Hot Dogs will be provided by Sabrett.
a) There will be an array of styles and condiments to choose from.
2) This category will NOT count towards the overall ranking and is not mandatory.
3) Aside from the use of the Hot Dogs, everything else is up to the competitor. This category is open with no restriction on form (ie. pigs in a blanket, franks and beans, Hot Dogs in buns, etc.).
4) Hot Dogs will be presented in a standard 9*9 styrofoam box.

D) 3:00 pm on Iron Choice and Dessert
1) During the Cooks Meeting teams will be given a time in which a group of 6 judges and a table captain will be at their site for presentation of Iron Choice and Dessert.
2) Competitors at the Cooks Meeting will be given an ingredient that must be included in their Iron Choice presentation.
3) Showmanship, although encouraged, is not required and will not affect your score.
4) As long as it is non-alcoholic, drinks may be served to the judges. If you prefer not to have drinks available, water will be supplied for the judges by the organizers. Please let us know of your decision.
5) Teams may present the Iron Choice and Dessert ‘family style’ or on individual plates.
6) Teams will have 15 minutes in which to present their food to the judges. Table Captains will be on hand to ensure that the times are enforced.
7) Desserts must be cooked, assembled, prepared on site.
8 ) Iron Choice may have more than one component (ie. main dish and side dish).
9) There will be no conferring amongst judges. Comments by judges during judging regarding any competitor’s food or presentation will be strictly prohibited.
10) There are no restrictions on garnish, presentation or style with this category with the exception that all food prepared must utilize only wood, pellets or charcoal for heat sources with the exception of open flame propane/butane stoves.
11) Tableware will be provided for those that choose to use them.
12) It is asked that competition team members step away from the table to allow the judges privacy while scores are recorded.

E) Awards Ceremony times will be announced at cooks meeting.
F) KCBS Cooks meeting will follow the Grilling awards ceremony.
G) Heat sources for all categories are limited to wood, charcoal or pellets with the exception of open flame propane/butane stoves.

*Iron Choice is an amalgamation of Iron Chef and Chef’s Choice. You will be given one ingredient that must be included in your presentation.

"Chub": Are we now cooking fish or pork and other ground meats? A chub is a fresh water fish.

"We will have pizza boxes available for the competitors use.": I know it has been asked before, but what size is the pizza box? Other turn -ins have specific definition in this regard.

"No garnish is allowed with this category.": By the very definiton of garnish, toppings are a garnish also.

"will be given an ingredient that must be included in their Iron Choice presentation.": Can it just be included in the "presentation" as garnish or window dressing, or must it be part of the prepared dish?

"all food prepared must utilize only wood, pellets or charcoal for heat sources with the exception of open flame propane/butane" : As it currently reads, the rule is that "open flame propane/butane" is the exception, or a case to which the rule does not apply, to the "only wood, pellets or charcoal" rule, meaning that propane/butane is fine, but I guess and elecrtic hotplate or microwave would not be. Is it now the intent that propane and butane are permissible?

"It is asked that competition team members step away from the table to allow the judges privacy while scores are recorded." : OK, so it is "asked," but it is it required? If it is required, then just say so. If it is required, then how? Ten foot minimum with backs turned? Or perhaps just one giant step back?

To avoid confusion and misunderstanding, the rules neeed to be clear and concise. They were, but in an effort to bring out creativity have now become less clear and less concise.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #186
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Tim are you serious?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #187
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Tim are you serious?
Yes.

Well except for "Or perhaps just one giant step back?"
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #188
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Its a grilling contest. Lets get real folks. Enough of the petty BS. All of these questions can be asked at the cooks meeting. You know the four categories. Nothing that is in these rules will change what you cook. I have never seen a contest discussed this much EVER.. It is our hometown and namesake contest , it will be a good time. Lets keep it that way. BTW Tim, the "chub" response was so ridiculous that you are going to get smacked
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Last edited by Sledneck; 10-15-2008 at 10:51 AM..
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 AM   #189
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmaker23 View Post
Thats not true at all, the grilling portion of the contest since day one has not attempted to comply with the grilling rules as established and adopted by NEBS for 2008. This is why the grilling portion of this contest does not count for NEBS team of the year points. The grilling rules were developed in response to years of contests being organized with different and inconsistant rules and policies. It is the sole choice of the contest to adopt these rules or not, this contest did not. it should however prove interesting to judge...
Both of those statements are true.

We attempted to have the event count with NEBS for the Grilling. They were not able to comply as the scope of the Grilling aspects extended outside of what they had worked hard to design, so they declined.

The BBQ aspects will be counted with NEBS as part of the TOY.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:15 AM   #190
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
"Chub": Are we now cooking fish or pork and other ground meats? A chub is a fresh water fish.
C'mon... We all know what a turd is, but in BBQ, its not what dictionary.com says. To us a chub is a tubular hunk of meat. In the context of BBQ, no one ever called it a fish.

http://www.frickmeats.com/info/chub%20bologna%20info.html
http://www.karlehmer.com/index.asp?P...PROD&ProdID=33
http://caloriecount.about.com/calori...lb-chub-i95906

Quote:
"We will have pizza boxes available for the competitors use.": I know it has been asked before, but what size is the pizza box? Other turn -ins have specific definition in this regard.
Pizza boxes are slice boxes, originally were going to be 10x10 as answered here. People have complained that they are too small, and requested bigger, so to accommodate, we are looking into larger ones. They will be given out at the cooks meeting and you will know the exact size then. I dont see why it matters today if they are 10 or 12 or 14 inch boxes since you are preparing it ON SITE.? They are being donated by the local pizza shop.

Quote:
"No garnish is allowed with this category.": By the very definiton of garnish, toppings are a garnish also.

Its a pizza catagory. Nothing in the box except the pizza(including its toppings)
(5 years working in a pizzaria and no one ever asked for meatball and pepperoni garnish. )

Quote:
"will be given an ingredient that must be included in their Iron Choice presentation.": Can it just be included in the "presentation" as garnish or window dressing, or must it be part of the prepared dish?
We dont care. Just include it.

Quote:
that all food prepared must utilize only wood, pellets or charcoal for heat sources with the exception of open flame propane/butane stoves.
We are TRYING to make it clear that u can use a stove to sautee, boil, fry, make sauce, etc.

Quote:
"It is asked that competition team members step away from the table to allow the judges privacy while scores are recorded."
Dont stand over the judges, glaring at the score cards and sharpening your knives. Just step away and let them judge comfortably.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #191
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformer BBQ View Post
Eric-

So in reponse, you and the other organizers decided you would rather use your format than change that one aspect of the contest. Which is totally fine, and obviously up to you, but lets give the whole story here before saying that NEBS turned you down like the door was closed in your face.
I didn't mean to imply that at at all. I regret my phrasing if I did imply that.

I have absolutely no problem with NEBS or their decision. There was a very good chance that I would have done the same in their shoes. They worked very hard to come up with a codified set of rules that were standardized for a reason.

We chose to go outside of those parameters. Our choice. NEBS's decision is completely understandable.

My stating that NEBS should be asked why they made the decision that they made was because I didn't feel that I should be speaking for NEBS.

For the record, we did discuss the issue with NEBS. They did deliberate. They made a decision. We accepted that decision. There is no rancor on our part at all and I certainly hope that there is none on the part of NEBS.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #192
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
There is no rancor on our part at all and I certainly hope that there is none on the part of NEBS.

Eric
There is no rancor on NEBS part either Eric. We fully support you and the contest and wish you great success. Thanks for setting the record straight.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #193
pigmaker23
is One Chatty Farker

Default Enough

OK Enough of the BS, it is what it is, As the NYS Rep for NEBS I can assure all of you no ones feelings are hurt. Lets just end this thread and look forward to the contest !!! Let Creativity Rule The Day !!!
[B][COLOR=#008000]Mr. Bobo's Traveling BBQ Allstars ![/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=red][I]2009 Jack Daniels World BBQ BrisketChampion[/I][/COLOR][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#ff0000]_______________________________________[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=black]Backwoods Fatboy (2) & a Chubby[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I]Jedmaster " BabyJed" Ring of Fire[/I][/B]
[B][I]OK Joe 84" Offset [/I][/B]
[B][I]Meadowcreek PR -72 Trailer[/I][/B]
pigmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #194
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

I apologize for asking what may have seemd like silly questions, but on the other hand . . .

1) I never thought that the intent was to be able to use propane stoves in the grilling competition.

2) I honestly thought that the Iron Chef secret ingredient had to be incorporated in the dish in some meaningful way.

So I learned something that is of use to know in advance, and I'm guessing that others did too.

Now excuse me while I head to the penalty box.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer

Old 10-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #195
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Its a grilling contest. Lets get real folks. Enough of the petty BS. All of these questions can be asked at the cooks meeting. You know the four categories. Nothing that is in these rules will change what you cook. I have never seen a contest discussed this much EVER.. It is our hometown and namesake contest , it will be a good time. Lets keep it that way. BTW Tim, the "chub" response was so ridiculous that you are going to get smacked

thanks for making my response shorter on this thread. Holy chit put some food on a farking cooker and turn it the fark in. We are not creating a cure for cancer. Great Job organizers!
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brethren, Competition, october, sayville