MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:57 PM   #166
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Here's the much anticipated rules...

[IMG]res://shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif[/IMG]
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #167
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Here's the much anticipated rules...

[IMG]res://shdoclc.dll/pagerror.gif[/IMG]

SIDE I guess it's a free for all?
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #168
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
SIDE I guess it's a free for all?
Supposedly. Why do I have to keep being the bad guy asking for rules? We are now less than TWO weeks away (for those who wondered why I was asking two months ago) from the contest and I'm still concerned about being DQ'd for some weird last minute rule in the grilling contest.

I know Eric and team are working their arses off and I'm trying to help and support where ever I can, but we abandoned NEBS grilling rules (after they did a heck of a lot of work to bring some consistency to grilling categories) to do some "fun plating", coupled with on site judging, sausage vs. fatty, etc.

I get very few opportunities to go out and compete and like to think ahead and plan ahead to maximize my fun. The economy sucks, work for many of us sucks, so I'd love to find a way to go and enjoy a great weekend without useless BS!

It seems so easy for people to ask questions and get answers about the Jack or the Royal or whatever, yet I have no clue what to expect at a contest I've been looking forward to for 12 months????
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #169
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Supposedly. Why do I have to keep being the bad guy asking for rules? We are now less than TWO weeks away (for those who wondered why I was asking two months ago) from the contest and I'm still concerned about being DQ'd for some weird last minute rule in the grilling contest.

I know Eric and team are working their arses off and I'm trying to help and support where ever I can, but we abandoned NEBS grilling rules (after they did a heck of a lot of work to bring some consistency to grilling categories) to do some "fun plating", coupled with on site judging, sausage vs. fatty, etc.

I get very few opportunities to go out and compete and like to think ahead and plan ahead to maximize my fun. The economy sucks, work for many of us sucks, so I'd love to find a way to go and enjoy a great weekend without useless BS!

It seems so easy for people to ask questions and get answers about the Jack or the Royal or whatever, yet I have no clue what to expect at a contest I've been looking forward to for 12 months????
Would you like some cheese with that whine?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #170
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Clint you don't need the rule book, YOU NEED A HUG
Sponsors: Oakridge BBQ, Frontier Charcoal
NEBS MAFIA
Blazin' Buttz BBQ www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #171
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
but we abandoned NEBS grilling rules (after they did a heck of a lot of work to bring some consistency to grilling categories) to do some "fun plating", coupled with on site judging, sausage vs. fatty, etc.
NEBS rules were not "abondoned"/ NEBS was given the opportunity and turned it down.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]

Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #172
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Would you like some cheese with that whine?
Ash hole. You're the reigning GC (by default since the contest namesake isn't showing) so you're all good.

I just want to make the point that it's been 2 plus months with no clear rules. It's not that freaking hard. I'm spending money to come and loss money. At least make the process somewhat friendly.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #173
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
NEBS rules were not "abondoned"/ NEBS was given the opportunity and turned it down.

Are you certain about that... and if so...WHY?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #174
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSmokehouse View Post

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
Things that make me go hmmmmmmm.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:34 PM   #175
motoeric
Babbling Farker

The grilling rules have now been sent to all of the teams.

If you have not received a copy, please let me know by sending an email to [email protected]. I will reply with the rules.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #176
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:

1) I responded to your question about when you would be receiving the rules on Sunday (I believe that it is post 152). I said that you would have them by late Monday or Tuesday. It is Tuesday. You should now have them.

2) One of the reasons (among many) why it is difficult to have things ironed out and as smooth as possible is that this is a strictly volunteer venture being run by people who are donating their time. If we had more people involved and volunteering that might have sped things up. Feel free to donate some time next year.

3) You are comparing a second year event with an innovative judging and presentation category to two of the most prestigious for profit and long running events in the nation.

I apologize for the delay.

Eric

Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 PM   #177
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSmokehouse View Post
I am. That's what happened. If you would like to know why, I suggest that you contact NEBS.

I completely understand their position and have no problem with it whatsoever. Hopefully other events that I'm involved with in the area (such as Smoke and Steam in Oyster Bay) will fall within the parameters of what NEBS is comfortable with and be part of the TOY series.

Eric

Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #178
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
1) I responded to your question about when you would be receiving the rules on Sunday (I believe that it is post 152). I said that you would have them by late Monday or Tuesday. It is Tuesday. You should now have them.

2) One of the reasons (among many) why it is difficult to have things ironed out and as smooth as possible is that this is a strictly volunteer venture being run by people who are donating their time. If we had more people involved and volunteering that might have sped things up. Feel free to donate some time next year.

3) You are comparing a second year event with an innovative judging and presentation category to two of the most prestigious for profit and long running events in the nation.

I apologize for the delay.

Eric
Alright. We'll leave it at that. If anyone thinks I haven't offered every spare minute I have or any spare resource I have to support this contest and every contest I can, so be it. I asked for clarification on the grilling three months ago http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...6&postcount=12, not three days ago.

And I'm not comparing Sayville to the Jack; I'm just busting Phil's balls for not defending his Sayville title and Vinny's balls for never even making it here. Makes for great drama in 2009.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:35 PM   #179
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Last edited by Sledneck; 02-27-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 12:48 AM   #180
motoeric
Babbling Farker

It would greatly help us out if someone could volunteer to be an 'event photographer'.

We didn't have any organized photos last year and thank goodness a number of teams shared their photos. We would like to be a bit more organized this year and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Eric

Tags
brethren, Competition, october, sayville