MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #121
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis469 View Post
Another thing too, any of y'all wanna come down and cook for a day, come on, free labor is awesome!!!
I may have occasion to take you up on this.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #122
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

You guys are so damned lucky to have so many great BBQ places that you get to argue about the rubs they use. Over here the BBQ I've tried that hasn't come out of my own pit has just been disappointment after disappointment. Beef brisket that tasted like it'd been soaked in beef bullion and never seen any smoke, pulled pork that had barely any smoke.. Even worse is the soggy crap that they try to pass off as PP!
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #123
DepChief22
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
I'm glad you posted that. Last night on BBQ Paradise (Travel Channel?) Both John Mueller and Aaron Franklin were on saying their rub is just equal parts of salt and pepper. The tub they were reaching into for rub looked as if it were only salt & pepper. Based on that, I was thinking of actually trying one that way this weekend but I would hate to waste a brisket.
Don't waste the brisket. I tried one this past weekend and it just had salt and pepper on it. It was so bland I didn't want to eat it.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #124
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepChief22 View Post
Don't waste the brisket. I tried one this past weekend and it just had salt and pepper on it. It was so bland I didn't want to eat it.

How light or heavy of a coating would you define what you applied ?

What was your ratio of salt to pepper ?

Was it more coarse grained salt & pepper or more like table grind ?

Did you foil at all ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #125
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
How light or heavy of a coating would you define what you applied ?

What was your ratio of salt to pepper ?

Was it more coarse grained salt & pepper or more like table grind ?

Did you foil at all ?
people i serve brisket to regularly (lots of family, coworkers, and friends) all prefer just the salt and pepper. the rub shouldn't have anything to do with how bland your meat is.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #126
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think salt and pepper brisket done well is quite good. I rarely eat anything over and over, but, as a change up, it can be quite good. It is important to use medium grained fresh black pepper and kosher salt. The finer grind black pepper gets too mild.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #127
Bludawg

Quote:
All I use is Salt & pepper on mine only complaint I get is when I run out. If you go with 3 parts by volume med grind Black peppa and 1 part Kosher salt By volume it will be in balance by weight or a true 50/50 mix. There is probably 10,000 lb sold every day in Tx that is S&P only cooked on Pecan & Post oak. It could well be your technique that is the culprit to the failure.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #128
DepChief22
Knows what a fatty is.

I used fresh ground pepper and kosher salt. It was a 50/50 ratio and I wrapped it just like I always do with my normal rub. It was cooked perfect. Tender moist the whole nine yards. It was not a technique issue.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #129
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

I used salt lick's rub on brisket once.... If you haven't had it, it's salt & pepper. By far the worst brisket I ever made. It had a salty crust and was really terrible. I would have been better off licking a salt block.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #130
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I use kosher salt and course ground pepper.. this one.

Salt lick rub is good, but you can't use too much. All these course seasonings/rubs, you have to go lighter.. light to medium dusting. If it's hard to see the meat underneath, you used too much. But then again, it's your personal tastes.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #131
Bludawg

Like a wise man once said it aint salt & peppa it's Peppa & Salt I don't care what rub your using if you cant see the detail of the meat through it your using to much of it. The only Bland Brisket I ever ate was wrapped in foil early on or cooked on an SP pit.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #132
psny75
Found some matches.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder
psny75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #133
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
What's your go to in terms of rub/seasoning/wood/etc when it comes to cooking a brisket?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #134
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
How much of the rub did you use on it? I haven't found anything that I have cooked, be in bbq or other cuisine, that is bland if properly seasoned with salt and pepper.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #135
YetiDave
is one Smokin' Farker

You guys who don't like S&P ought to try Kampot pepper - WELL worth ordering some of this stuff. Every other black pepper pales in comparison, this stuff is pungent and has some serious heat to it in comparison to regular pepper. There's no way your brisket would be bland with a decent coating of that and salt
YetiDave is offline   Reply With Quote