MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #91
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
Aaron Franklin is no different than Johnny Trigg or any of a dozen excellent BBQ guys. THEY DON'T TELL ALL THEY KNOW.

Its better to study their technique, than worry about their BBQ secrets.
Excellent sage advice

Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #92
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Hearing people say that the 50/50 salt and pepper is too salty reminds me of when people on BBQ forums talk about Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning the same way. Read the label. Nowhere does it say that Tony's is a rub. Its a seasoning. More accurately a seasoned salt. You have to use it for what it is. If you put on a heavy coat of Tony's on anything it will be both too salty and too spicy.

The S&P is the same.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #93
Kmanigold
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I used John Lewis's recipe on a 5lb flat this week. Had never heard of using pickle juice before so I was a little hesitant, but it turned out fantastic. Best brisket I've done in 3 years of smoking.
Kmanigold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #94
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Just a few years ago I took Paul Kirk's class. I was talking with him about different regional styles. Having never had Texas BBQ I mentioned that I had heard that many great places over there only put salt and pepper on their briskets.

He looked at me and said that's almost right. Its not salt and pepper. Its pepper and salt. This would support the measure by weight philosophy.

I know Paul Kirk is not a Texan, but lets face it. He knows what's up.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #95
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Pickle Juice? Really? Sometimes I think these guys just say things to throw people off. If you do put pickle juice on the brisket, I think it would have the same effect as mustard... nothing other than a binding agent for the rub. Now, if you inject with pickle juice, I think the results would be a bit more noticeable... and I for one, don't think I would want to notice that! Just saying.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #96
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jramey0406 View Post
50% salt, 25% pepper and garlic powder is great on anything
This is exactly what I use. And I don't bother with weighing it either. Not for BBQ. I think that the real reason that some people think that mix is too salty is because they are using standard table salt and don't wrap. A half cup of iodized table salt will weigh more than a half cup of coarse Kosher. I use Kosher and it comes out perfect for me every single time, even for grilling. I also wrap so I know that quite a bit of that outside salt will liquifiy off and into the juice so when I do brisket I LOAD that guy up.... Many variables at play.
Haastyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #97
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
Pickle Juice? Really? Sometimes I think these guys just say things to throw people off. If you do put pickle juice on the brisket, I think it would have the same effect as mustard... nothing other than a binding agent for the rub. Now, if you inject with pickle juice, I think the results would be a bit more noticeable... and I for one, don't think I would want to notice that! Just saying.
Dude, it really is a thing. To add acid and a little other flavor. A homemade mustard using red wine vinegar would be superior. IMHO
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #98
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Dude, it really is a thing. To add acid and a little other flavor. A homemade mustard using red wine vinegar would be superior. IMHO
Sounds risky Hawg Father, but if my brethren say its good then I guess i should at least give it a shot.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 07-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #99
Flyboy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
I cooked almost 1000lbs of brisket with Aaron last year at meatopia... he mixed his rub in a 5 gallon pail right in front of me..

salt & pepper. That was it.. 45 briskets, cooked on a double lang using oak. He did spray the briskets during the cook.

it was a peoples choice event with over 100 chefs cooking their specialties.

Aaron won.
I have known John since 2010, when I met him at Smokin in Mesquite. He is a great guy who will help most anyone. I know that he likes to help people cook better BBQ, and even gave another team some advice and sauce at a contest. If he says he has never cooked a brisket with salt and pepper (only), you can take that to the bank. That is not to say that Aaron doesn't do it that way now, but John didn't do it that way when he cooked there.

John is a guy who wants to cook the best product that he can. He doesn't buy premade/precooked products. Everything served at la barbecue starts out raw and unseasoned.

John is able to give advice because there is more to cooking than just the recipe. The spices are just part of the equation. A good cooker is critical, but there are some skills that the cook must possess.

I consider John a very strong competitor at a contest. He was wearing out his shoes at awards in Mesquite last time I was there.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #100
Georgiaboy98
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
'

I smell something I think it is an opinion. Lots of folks on here boil their BBQ... what's this you say?¿ The boiling point of water at sea leveled is 212° F stocks, juices ect are 99.9% water.Cook temps over 212°F when added to a closed foil pouch will boil, if your meat is in the pouch YOUR A BOILER OF BBQ.
I know we're talking symantics here but foiling meat is not boiling its braising. You're right though most people foil(me included)

Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 AM   #101
MilitantSquatter

For those questioning the usage of pickle juice & mustard slather...

I have no knowledge on Franklin's usage but I can attest that it's good stuff..

Paul Kirk has a mustard slather recipe called "Art Brown's Mustard Slather" that he noted came from a now defunct KC BBQ joint from the '70's called Brown's BBQ.

In addition to mustard, was pickle juice, hot sauce and worstershire sauce.

It was, and still is, my favorite slather.... The hard part was that if you cook more briskets faster than you eat pickles, you have to spend extra of pickles !!!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #102
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post

Paul Kirk has a mustard slather recipe called "Art Brown's Mustard Slather" that he noted came from a now defunct KC BBQ joint from the '70's called Brown's BBQ.

It was, and still is, my favorite slather.... The hard part was that if you cook more briskets faster than you eat pickles, you have to spend extra of pickles !!!
or you can just make these pickles and save the drained bine.

Sweet & Hot Pickles
This recipe comes along with the name from a tavern in south Texas that served these along with their BBQ. The tavern is long lost to history but the recipe lives.

One gallon of whole sour pickles (suggest Best Made Brand sour pickles Available at Walmart)
One four pound bag of sugar (2.5# for less sweet)
One two ounce bottle of Red Pepper sauce like Tabasco or Trappys
One twelve ounce can of jalapeno slices

Drain the pickles and discard the sour brine.

Cut the pickles into slices or spears or whatever suits you.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, Red Pepper sauce and the juice from the jalapenos.

Alternately spoon sugar mixture and pickle & jalepeno slices back into the jar untill it's all in there which takes a little pushin' and
packin' towards the end.

During the next couple of hours, turn the jar over every few minutes to agitate the sugar and help it disolve.

The pickles will give up enough new brine to totally disolve the sugar over the next couple of hours. Stick'em in the 'fridge
and in a couple of days they'll be ready!

They should stay refrigerated when not actually gettin scarfed!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #103
edallsails
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDEDTURKES View Post
He was actually nice enough to come back and answer a guy in the questions..

"Try 8 parts coarse ground pepper, 3 parts Lawry's, 3 parts kosher salt, and one part granulated garlic. Rub it down with a half and half mixture of hot dog mustard and pickle juice first before sprinkling the rub on. if it's not working for you, come down to la barbecue and i'll walk you through it. A lot of it has to do with the cooker you are using and the times and temp. I'll walk you through it"
Any Pickle juice? Sweet...... Dill or? How long before cooking? Appreciate your help. ed
edallsails is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #104
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post

Vinny,

I have (and do) use a mustard slather sometimes, but I have not noticed any impact on taste or flavor, other than a nicer bark on the meat. So my questions are 1) Could I be "not" mustard slathering correctly if the flavor is not impacted in some way? And 2) Does pickle juice actually impact flavor?

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #105
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
Yeah, I tend to agree. A slather just helps the rub to bind to the meat and little else. The only thing that I think really makes any difference is oil. The spices in a rub each contain their own unique oils which are oil soluble and when they are introduced to an oil slather they're released more efficiently. Johnny Trigg likes to use peanut oil on his ribs and allows the rub to sit and liquefy with the oil for an hour before he puts the meat on his pit. To get back on topic however, Aaron Franklin just takes his brisket from it's packaging and uses the moisture already on the meat, (basically blood) as a binder for his simple SALT AND PEPPER rub. This guy cooks about eighty to a hundred briskets a day, I don't think he gets carried away with slathers and special spice blends! LOL!

1 members found this post helpful.