MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #76
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

How critical is the grind on the pepper? I'd imagine that a finer grind would provide more net surface area actually touching the meat per oz of pepper.

I'm a total rookie with respect to the central TX style. Tried some beef ribs a few weeks ago and used 50/50 Diamond Crystals kosher salt to a fairly coarse fresh ground pepper. I see from the above posts that its likely that a big part of my error was in using volume not weight. Wondering if that alone was the cause of the excessively salty result.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #77
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Essentially, he's doing more than just lightly placing s&p on a brisket. I understand the site admin saw him do a simple rub at a festival, as I'm sure he would in the public. I've done salt and pep a ton with great success. you'll never ruin a brisket w just salt and pepper.

I just don't buy his mantra of salt n pepper.
I don't know. If he's winning awards against more than 100 other cooks by using sale and pepper, why would he feel the need to do much else in his restaurant? Maybe he used to use something different, maybe he still does. But if the people love a simple S&P rub, why would he do anything different?

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #78
CarlBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
How critical is the grind on the pepper? I'd imagine that a finer grind would provide more net surface area actually touching the meat per oz of pepper.

I'm a total rookie with respect to the central TX style. Tried some beef ribs a few weeks ago and used 50/50 Diamond Crystals kosher salt to a fairly coarse fresh ground pepper. I see from the above posts that its likely that a big part of my error was in using volume not weight. Wondering if that alone was the cause of the excessively salty result.
Don't know how "critical" it is, but from what I've gathered, 16 mesh pepper seems to be what's typically used as far as the grind is concerned.

Carl
CarlBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #79
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn true View Post
how critical is the grind on the pepper? I'd imagine that a finer grind would provide more net surface area actually touching the meat per oz of pepper.

I'm a total rookie with respect to the central tx style. Tried some beef ribs a few weeks ago and used 50/50 diamond crystals kosher salt to a fairly coarse fresh ground pepper. i see from the above posts that its likely that a big part of my error was in using volume not weight. Wondering if that alone was the cause of the excessively salty result.
yes!!

Old 07-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #80
bbq1980
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
yes!!
Thanks for this advice. I've been keeping tabs on this thread all week. So since changing my rub will be among the adjustments I plan on making for my second brisket, what is typically recommended, with respect to ratios, going by weight as opposed to volume?

Something like 2 parts kosher salt to 1 part course ground black pepper to 1 part granulated garlic? Or cut back on the salt and go 1:1:1?

I'll whip out the kitchen scale and apply the rub lightly, as others have suggested (as opposed to a thick coat like for a butt).
bbq1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #81
Bludawg

Equal parts by weight on the S&P and a 1/3 part by weight on additions is about perfect to my pallet.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #82
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq1980 View Post
Thanks for this advice. I've been keeping tabs on this thread all week. So since changing my rub will be among the adjustments I plan on making for my second brisket, what is typically recommended, with respect to ratios, going by weight as opposed to volume?

Something like 2 parts kosher salt to 1 part course ground black pepper to 1 part granulated garlic? Or cut back on the salt and go 1:1:1?

I'll whip out the kitchen scale and apply the rub lightly, as others have suggested (as opposed to a thick coat like for a butt).
You don't want more salt than pepper. It is possible to over-salt a brisket. It is nearly impossible to accidentally use too much black pepper.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #83
Angel Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
40% - kosher salt
40% - black pepper
10% - garlic powder
10% - onion powder
a splash of paprika for color

thats all i use on my briskets.

my father in law has been in the cooking business all his life, never used any seasonings, after speaking to a friend and owner of a resturant who spoke to franklin, he switched to S&P (my father in law that is) and will always go that route.

i care not for all the fancy expensive rubs, brisket doesnt need much
I am wanting to try the more simplified rub on our next brisket cook...taking place this Friday! I like your ratios that your shared there, thanks!

Angel
Angel Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #84
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bander7003 View Post
I don't know. If he's winning awards against more than 100 other cooks by using sale and pepper, why would he feel the need to do much else in his restaurant? Maybe he used to use something different, maybe he still does. But if the people love a simple S&P rub, why would he do anything different?

Meh ... is it flavored salt and special pepper?
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #85
Mklade

Salt&Pepper is a Central Texas classic for beef. I also watched the show BBQ Paradise (Travel Channel). I would think garlic powder is also in the rub. S$P and garlic powder rubs do very well in the Austin, San Marcos and New Braunfels areas and even South towards Victoria, TX.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #86
landarc

I find it is possible to overdo black pepper on brisket, my tenant does that all the time. All you taste is black pepper, acrid burned black pepper. He loves it.

I do:
3 parts kosher salt, I use Redmond RealSalt
2 parts medium grind black pepper (#16 screen is about right)
no more than 1 part total of any other ingredients, if any. For me, that is typically granulated garlic and onion in equal parts. I see no reason for paprika or chile powder for color. I will add some for flavor, but, it does burn and can become acrid.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #87
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but when you are measuring kosher salts, Diamond Crystal salt weighs in at 4.8oz/cup, Mortons at 8oz./cup, so it's important to know the weights of ingredients, as weight is usually more consistent a measure than volume (if you have a good scale!).

Franklin's YouTube vids are fairly interesting and certainly worth a look if you're just getting started. Not sure he reveals everything, but he doesn't appear to hide much either. I don't always agree with him (pecan too strong for brisket?!?), but then that's what makes this a great country - everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #88
gourmand71
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Que View Post
I am wanting to try the more simplified rub on our next brisket cook...taking place this Friday! I like your ratios that your shared there, thanks!

Angel
I used roughly that ratio this weekend and it worked well for me.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #89
DJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I also have a hunch that some people are really laying the S&P rub on really thick. You do not want to get the Salt and Pepper rub caked on like you do with regular rubs on a pork butt. You want a nice light even coating of it. I have done 50/50 salt pepper with morton's kosher salt and course ground chef's black pepper and it turned out great.

Watch Aaron Franklin's video that he does prepping the brisket and you will see he only lightly coats the brisket with the S&P rub.
Yep.

Someone else upthread mentioned Louie Mueller, however. There's a video somewhere out there on the internets in which Wayne Mueller says 90/10 pepper/salt ratio for his rub.

Last edited by DJK; 07-25-2013 at 10:55 PM..
DJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #90
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Aaron Franklin is no different than Johnny Trigg or any of a dozen excellent BBQ guys. THEY DON'T TELL ALL THEY KNOW.

Its better to study their technique, than worry about their BBQ secrets.
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote