MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #61
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Aaron Franklin is running a restaurant and is cooking probably 70 or 80 briskets a day! I will almost guarantee you that his rub doesn't get too much more intricate than salt and pepper! He may throw more stuff on at home or for small batch cooks but I doubt that he does when cooking for the masses.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #62
Bob Loblaw
Got Wood.

My first time at Franklin, I went up to chat w Stacy (Aaron's wife) when the line died off. Aaron had just gone home unfort... I bluntly asked about the s$p rub and she smirked and said of course that's all. Her face was riddled w sarcasm. I prodded more about what they do and got the same smirking response. This was when the first opened the brick and mortar store.

Essentially, he's doing more than just lightly placing s&p on a brisket. I understand the site admin saw him do a simple rub at a festival, as I'm sure he would in the public. I've done salt and pep a ton with great success. you'll never ruin a brisket w just salt and pepper.

I just don't buy his mantra of salt n pepper.
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #63
Andrew
On the road to being a farker

40% - kosher salt
40% - black pepper
10% - garlic powder
10% - onion powder
a splash of paprika for color

thats all i use on my briskets.

my father in law has been in the cooking business all his life, never used any seasonings, after speaking to a friend and owner of a resturant who spoke to franklin, he switched to S&P (my father in law that is) and will always go that route.

i care not for all the fancy expensive rubs, brisket doesnt need much
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 AM   #64
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
40% - kosher salt
40% - black pepper
10% - garlic powder
10% - onion powder
a splash of paprika for color

thats all i use on my briskets.

my father in law has been in the cooking business all his life, never used any seasonings, after speaking to a friend and owner of a resturant who spoke to franklin, he switched to S&P (my father in law that is) and will always go that route.

i care not for all the fancy expensive rubs, brisket doesnt need much
Good recipe! I would probably throw in a little cayenne too for pop but the hot stuff's not for everyone.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #65
palmtreefrb
is one Smokin' Farker

How is everyone measuring? is 50/50 SP volume or weight?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #66
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
The reason some of you complain about S&P being to salty is your measuring by Volume not By Weight.
Measure? Cmon...

I tried copyin a popdaddy video.... I guess I went by volume. In which case it wouldn't REALLY be no 50/50.... I just decided, I'll just pput on as much S/P as I think it oughta have. that works best for me. and that'sz what i'm gonna keep doing. And no I am never ever gonna squirt no pickle juice on there or pit foil on it or any of that. If I can't cook it right.... I won't cook it.

I know I said I don't care about tradition but I know some housewifes that boil a tasty brisket from start to finish. No foil, foiling is boiling.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #67
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

For the record sorry about a double post, I don't not foil cause of Popdaddy videos. It's cause about 11 years ago, when I was dating my wife (Japanese lady) and Stationed in the Kanto area of Japan. I got off work early one day. I decided I'd cook her some fish so I went town to the store picked up some fresh salmon and veggies cut up the veggies and put them in foil packs with the fish and butter I thought it was great... My gal pretty much told me I ruined the fish, made it too mushy. After that I learned how to grill fish on the grate. Mostly Salmon, Mackeral and a really skinny oily fish pronounced Sama (translates to fall knife fish).. But if it swims I'll put it over the coals.

I just figured that if you make Fish too mushy in tin foil you also would make anything else (including Brisket) too mushy in foil.

anybody else here I'm not saying you are wrong and what you do might be better for you. I'm just saying what I do.
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #68
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtreefrb View Post
1 cup kosher salt to 1 cup coarse black pepper. I make up a bunch at a time since I use it on so many things. Any other seasonings I want to add just go on the meat separately.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #69
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I know...it's farkin' crazy talk to think that a rival pitmaster of Aaron's would be spillin' the beans on how his brisket can't possibly be just an S&P rub and he couldn't possibly be fibbin'?!?!?!
I've cooked with John Lewis and I doubt that he is lying. "Never cooked a S&P brisket" could mean that he subbed some of the salt for Lowrey's or that he used S&P + a small amount of another spice. Or because he may not consider it a true S&P brisket because he sprays the meat with watered down Worcestershire sauce or pickle juice or unicorn tears.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #70
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I mix it and put it in a shaker bottle so I weigh it.
By weight 1 tbl of K salt & 1 Tbl of med grind Black pepper are not equal.
IIRC 1 tbl of K salt weighs 1 oz 4 tbl of the med grind black pepper weighs 1 oz

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #71
kw
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Drinker View Post
I'll just pput on as much S/P as I think it oughta have.
Bingo. That's the way I've always done it, with everything I've cooked.
kw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #72
kw
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
To each their own, but something about this Aaron Franklin character tells me he's not lying.

BTW, this might be a little off topic, but am I the only one who doesn't believe the BBQ joints on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives when they reveal their top secret/award winning rubs and sauces? I've noticed more than a few times that the rubs they actually end up putting on the meat are a completely different color than what they whipped up.
I think Harrison Sapp at Southern Soul gave a pretty accurate description of his technique. One of the best episodes of DDD in my opinion.

Last edited by kw; 07-19-2013 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: .
kw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #73
Andrew

Quote:

meh i just poor it in a shaker until it looks close, i mean a pinch of a difference is not going to completely change the taste anyways.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #74
Teltum

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Or pressure cooking ribs. One of my buddies, that is a pretty good cook pressures his ribs on occasion, and finishes them for about 40 minutes on a kettle. His family loves them.
If there is something other than water in his pressure cooker (it is called braising/water is steaming which is way too close to boiling in my book) it is not a "bbq foul" if finishing on a charcoal unit.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #75
Bob Loblaw
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
I've cooked with John Lewis and I doubt that he is lying. "Never cooked a S&P brisket" could mean that he subbed some of the salt for Lowrey's or that he used S&P + a small amount of another spice. Or because he may not consider it a true S&P brisket because he sprays the meat with watered down Worcestershire sauce or pickle juice or unicorn tears.
Bingo! That's my point exactly. It's the small minute things that are conveniently being passed off as just s&p.
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote