MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #46
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I have cooked in a few comps.
Salt and pepper if anything at all is used at our house most of the time.
We both are farm kids who enjoy the taste of plain meat here.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #47
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Skip the garlic powder and use onion powder, lightly. Kosher salt and heavy black pepper.

Flame suit on regarding the onion powder verses garlic powder.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #48
Cabin Fever
Full Fledged Farker

To each their own, but something about this Aaron Franklin character tells me he's not lying.

BTW, this might be a little off topic, but am I the only one who doesn't believe the BBQ joints on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives when they reveal their top secret/award winning rubs and sauces? I've noticed more than a few times that the rubs they actually end up putting on the meat are a completely different color than what they whipped up.
Cabin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #49
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
To each their own, but something about this Aaron Franklin character tells me he's not lying.

BTW, this might be a little off topic, but am I the only one who doesn't believe the BBQ joints on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives when they reveal their top secret/award winning rubs and sauces? I've noticed more than a few times that the rubs they actually end up putting on the meat are a completely different color than what they whipped up.
Thing is if you give two people the same cooker, rub recipe, sauce recipe, meat and fuel, park them side by side, with everything being equal, you will still wind up with two similar end results only different. Its those little nuances that each individual imparts to the process that will matter somehow. If I used a recipe for anything I would gladly give it to anyone that ask, however I may toy with you for awhile.
Dave

Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #50
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post

i copied down the shed spread from the DDD episode. and tried to replicate it. i got a bottle of the real thing over christmas and its pretty much spot on when i tried it with 3 other people. if there was something he left out, i couldn't notice.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #51
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
'

I smell something I think it is an opinion. Lots of folks on here boil their BBQ... what's this you say?¿ The boiling point of water at sea leveled is 212° F stocks, juices ect are 99.9% water.Cook temps over 212°F when added to a closed foil pouch will boil, if your meat is in the pouch YOUR A BOILER OF BBQ.
Technically it would be called braising.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #52
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
nope....

but it was clear brown. could have been apple juice, cider vinegar or what spedly said.. no clue.. was so busy didnt even ask.
Heh Heh heh... if only you knew. Try betting him he can't squirt it in your mouth at 5 paces. Then you would know.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #53
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonBrew View Post
Salt, pepper and a little garlic here. Meaty goodness.

The "... I"ll walk ya through it." comment struck me as a little odd. From what I know of Lewis, he's pretty guarded in his technique. Maybe that's changed as he's finding more success.
I bet KCBS changed him. He got him bum handed to him. We all need to be humbled from time to time.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #54
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #55
AZScott
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
I bet KCBS changed him. He got him bum handed to him. We all need to be humbled from time to time.
Actually, I competed against him a few times and he was always a threat. His brisket seemed to always do poorly because he was doing central Texas brisket. John Lewis is a nice guy and I've never heard anyone I know from comps speak poorly of the guy. If you helped develop recipes and techniques with Aaron and he never mentioned you in any articles or ever let you see any of the lime light I can understand being a little bitter and wanting to make a name for yourself and I'm happy that he is. If I could choose between cooking with Aaron or John I would pick John. A friend of mine cooked with him when La Barbecue was first starting and there are plenty of secrets he couldn't and wouldn't share. I'd really be surprised if John is letting the cat entirely out of the bag in that interview just as Aaron and the other respected pitmasters hold on to there secrets.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #56
caseydog

Salt and pepper brisket is a very traditional style in Texas. Several Hill Country BBQ joints do that. Others do minor variations on that. The Salt Lick owner says his rub is equal parts salt, pepper, and cayenne.

I like simple rubs on beef and chicken -- S&P works fine on those meats, IMO. The smoke becomes the star flavor enhancer.

Like others have mentioned, a S&P rub should go on more like seasoning than a rub. You can overdo it.

It is definitely worth trying.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #57
Beast Drinker
Full Fledged Farker

I Tried a 50/50 S/P rub once, WHEW... way too much salt for me. I Season a brisket with salt and pepper. Still kinda a lot but I don't like coat them real thick. Probably not 50/50 I season it about like I would a steak only maybe only a little more cause it's a bigger piece of meat, then I cook it and I taste all that beef. I'm no winning competition pitmaster and I don't Q every day of the week like some here, but all I put on my briskets is Salt and Pepper. And I like it that way. I BET, I could doit with no salt and pepper and just wood smoke and it would taste good as long as I cooked the meat correctly . Now I'm not gonna do that (not season a brisket) of course, LOL but it's the meat man... that's what it's about.

Not from Texas. Not too worried about tradition or winning the American royal some day either (never gonna even try).
18" Weber OTS aka #1, Smokey Joe gold, 18" WSM, dirt late model
Beast Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #58
Astrobeerman
Knows what a fatty is.

Besst brisket I have made is S/P.......I did use pickle juice my last brisket (in the foil), to experiment (saw bro-in-law use that technique).....came out great......
Will try using it in applying the rrub.......my guess s/p rub will goo great with the pickle juice
Astrobeerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #59
Bludawg

The reason some of you complain about S&P being to salty is your measuring by Volume not By Weight.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #60
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
The reason some of you complain about S&P being to salty is your measuring by Volume not By Weight.
I also have a hunch that some people are really laying the S&P rub on really thick. You do not want to get the Salt and Pepper rub caked on like you do with regular rubs on a pork butt. You want a nice light even coating of it. I have done 50/50 salt pepper with morton's kosher salt and course ground chef's black pepper and it turned out great.

Watch Aaron Franklin's video that he does prepping the brisket and you will see he only lightly coats the brisket with the S&P rub.