MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

I made beef ribs last week with the S&P rub... Best beef ribs I have ever made! I plan to do a brisket cook the same way. The truly rich beef flavor is heightened in my opinion. Also, my wife does not like beef ribs or brisket, but the ribs came off juicy and tender so she tried some... about 10 times! I think she's hooked now.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #32
Jramey0406
Found some matches.

50% salt, 25% pepper and garlic powder is great on anything
Jramey0406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Yep, salt & pepper is the way I go for sure. I even cooked some chicken last week with just S & P and it was fabulous. I'm going to try ribs that way too. Smoke on Brethren!!

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

I've tried a 1/2 dozen commercial brisket rubs. I don't like them. I do 1/4cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup of course grain pepper on every brisket. Comes out great and everyone loves them. The key is getting the grain sizes to match the 50/50 portion.

And I've met Aaron Franklin. He is no liar.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #35
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
Any idea what he was spraying on them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere it's just watered down Worcestershire sauce.

nope....

but it was clear brown. could have been apple juice, cider vinegar or what spedly said.. no clue.. was so busy didnt even ask.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #36
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have heard him say water & worcestershire in a spray bottle before wrapping somewhere in the past

Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #37
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

I just smoked my best brisket yet using Aaron's Dalmatian rub. He shares info freely.

Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 07-18-2013 at 05:28 PM..
Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I know...it's farkin' crazy talk to think that a rival pitmaster of Aaron's would be spillin' the beans on how his brisket can't possibly be just an S&P rub and he couldn't possibly be fibbin'?!?!?!

Next thing you know, they'll be saying that's all a lie that people in/from NC only sprinkle their pork with salt before throwing it on the pit and if that's all we/they did, it would be absolutely horrible!!!

Truth be told, I use to muck up a lot of meat trying different rubs and what not. In the end, less is more.

For those that think the S&P rub is to salty, I'd recommend using Dixie Crystals kosher instead of Morton. I also add in a little granulated garlic and onion to my rub.

But I can assure you that you won't ruin any cut of meat with some thing so simple as long as it's a good quality grade/cut to begin with.

As far as what Aaron sprays on his brisket, it is a 50/50 of water and worcestershire.

Here's a thread I put up about my experience with Aaron's technique and the results. Hands down the best brisket I had cooked to date:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143631

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #39
thirdeye

I love it when I hear about one little thing that is new to me.

Pickle juice in the slather,... Hmmmm.

Spraying with Wooster and water - this sounds like something to try. I put Wooster in my juice based pork sprays, but don't really like any sweet on beef. Years ago I used a salt and pepper spray (I think it came from a Weber cookbook) on steaks... it just sort of fell out of fashion with me.

Using seasoned salt, salt, pepper, granulated garlic (and possibly celery salt or ground celery seed) is common, as is a mustard slather (I cut the mustard with Worcestershire), but that pickle juice has me thinkin'.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #40
mbshop
Babbling Farker

not sure who or what he is calling bs on. but i take umbrage to that if its directed towards those that use only s&p. i use s&p on many of my cooks, in fact most. on pork butts and briskets i may slather some mustard on for a bit more crust but not always. its what i prefer. after using differant rubs i decided i didn't like rubs interfering with the meat.we all have differant taste buds and likes and that should be accepted by others.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
BBQPitt
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I think some people have gotten too enamored with what "real" or "great" bbq is. At the end of the day, if you put 47 different ingredients on it, and it tastes great to you, it's a great rub, slather, marinade, etc.

As for salt and pepper, some would find it much too bland, some would find it too salty, and some would say it's not salty enough. There is no such thing as "real" bbq, because beauty is in the taste buds of the beholder. UNless you are boiling ribs, in which case of course that's the best, DUH!
BBQPitt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #42
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQPitt View Post
... There is no such thing as "real" bbq, because beauty is in the taste buds of the beholder. UNless you are boiling ribs, in which case of course that's the best, DUH!
Or pressure cooking ribs. One of my buddies, that is a pretty good cook pressures his ribs on occasion, and finishes them for about 40 minutes on a kettle. His family loves them.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #43
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQPitt View Post
I think some people have gotten too enamored with what "real" or "great" bbq is. At the end of the day, if you put 47 different ingredients on it, and it tastes great to you, it's a great rub, slather, marinade, etc.

As for salt and pepper, some would find it much too bland, some would find it too salty, and some would say it's not salty enough. There is no such thing as "real" bbq, because beauty is in the taste buds of the beholder. UNless you are boiling ribs, in wh?ich case of course that's the best, DUH!
'

I smell something I think it is an opinion. Lots of folks on here boil their BBQ... what's this you say?¿ The boiling point of water at sea leveled is 212° F stocks, juices ect are 99.9% water.Cook temps over 212°F when added to a closed foil pouch will boil, if your meat is in the pouch YOUR A BOILER OF BBQ.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #44
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

More often I use salt, pepper, garlic powder, and maybe some onion powder if I have it on hand. I think a 50/50 mix would be a lot of salt, but I don't measure, I just eyeball it as I sprinkled it on.
Dave

Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #45
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgamez View Post
I personally don't like the half S&P rubs. It comes out too salty for my taste.
S&P rub needs to go on lighter than many rubs. It will be salty if you coat it like a paprika/sugar rub on pork butt.