MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
bjgamez
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I personally don't like the half S&P rubs. It comes out too salty for my taste. I would do a half cup pepper, 1/4 cup salt, a few tablespoons of cumin & brown sugar.....but thats just me.
Front Street Grill, [COLOR="Purple"]Humphrey's Battle Box[/COLOR], Jumbo Old Smokey Grill, (2)Aussie walk-a-bouts, Maverick ET-732, World's Fastest [COLOR="Blue"][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen & [COLOR="Silver"]Grey[/COLOR] Thermapen
bjgamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I cooked almost 1000lbs of brisket with Aaron last year at meatopia... he mixed his rub in a 5 gallon pail right in front of me..

salt & pepper. That was it.. 45 briskets, cooked on a double lang using oak. He did spray the briskets during the cook.

it was a peoples choice event with over 100 chefs cooking their specialties.

Aaron won.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #18
TalonBrew
On the road to being a farker

Salt, pepper and a little garlic here. Meaty goodness.

The "... I"ll walk ya through it." comment struck me as a little odd. From what I know of Lewis, he's pretty guarded in his technique. Maybe that's changed as he's finding more success.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I like my brisket with S&P and a light sprinkle of cumin and garlic powder.

Simple, beef flavor with a bit of a tingle, but it's really natural and simple. Super good.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #20
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
I'm glad you posted that. Last night on BBQ Paradise (Travel Channel?) Both John Mueller and Aaron Franklin were on saying their rub is just equal parts of salt and pepper. The tub they were reaching into for rub looked as if it were only salt & pepper. Based on that, I was thinking of actually trying one that way this weekend but I would hate to waste a brisket.
You will not waste a brisket with just salt and pepper on it. That is how I do my briskets and the flavor is outstanding.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah I go with the old 50/50 rub with a little garlic, (actually a lot of garlic) and maybe some cayenne for more pop, (depending on weather there's kids or elderly eating it). I rub the meat down first with oil, then apply the rub. Spices (which contain their own natural oils) are oil and water soluble and really awaken when combined with the moisture of the meat and the oil slather. I believe Johnny Trigg uses that method on his meat and lets it sit for an hour or so to allow the rub to liquefy just before he puts it on his pit.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
BaggerBill
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
I cooked almost 1000lbs of brisket with Aaron last year at meatopia... he mixed his rub in a 5 gallon pail right in front of me..

salt & pepper. That was it.. 45 briskets, cooked on a double lang using oak. He did spray the briskets during the cook.

it was a peoples choice event with over 100 chefs cooking their specialties.

Aaron won.
Any idea what he was spraying on them?

Old 07-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Unfathomable Bastid
Full Fledged Farker

Just want to add that this is a great string for those of us who haven't nailed brisket yet. Thanks all...

-Bastid
Weber Genesis E-310 - Gas
Weber Smokey Joe (A RED one!)
Unfathomable Bastid is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
spedly
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
Any idea what he was spraying on them?
I don't know if it's true but I read somewhere it's just watered down Worcestershire sauce.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #25
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

IMO, there is a far smaller chance to waste a brisket by using salt and pepper than by listening to a majority of the advice you find on the internet about cooking brisket.

Just go to youtube and search for texas brisket. You'll see all sorts of really poor cooking going on. Example, 22 hours in dirty smoke... blech. That's not Texas brisket!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
Just S&P is very good. But many times when people tell you they just use S&P it's code for "I ain't tellin' you anything". I also disagree about the pit being more important than the pitmaster. That would be like saying it is the golf clubs rather than the person using them.
I believe that's the case here. Bon appetit magazine calls it the best que un the country and you think that (a) it's just s& p and (2) hes gonna tell everyone on national tv what he's really using? I don't buy it.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #27
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have done the gamut, I think that a properly cooked hunk of meat will always shine through. Unless you do something really nuts, like add a cup of Cayenne pepper, going with something like salt and pepper, or something with 10 ingredients, you cook the meat right, it will be the star. If you are saying salt & pepper and using Lawry's, then you are not using just salt and pepper.

I have, for some time, really disliked people that answer with a lie, and one of these guys seems to be telling a fib, heck, maybe they both are. I also dislike the 'if I told you, I would have to kill you' line.

As to the cooker, yeah, it is the cook. But, if I am using a cooker that I know will do what I ask it to do, and do it quickly, then I will be a better cook. Flat out, the best equipment will make a good cook better, but, it won't help a bad cook at all.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #28
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

The only recipes I will not give out are the recipes to our products we sell. Which I would hope is understandable. But outside of those three products I spill the beans on anything I do or try.

But yeah, one or both of these dudes is fibin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I have done the gamut, I think that a properly cooked hunk of meat will always shine through. Unless you do something really nuts, like add a cup of Cayenne pepper, going with something like salt and pepper, or something with 10 ingredients, you cook the meat right, it will be the star. If you are saying salt & pepper and using Lawry's, then you are not using just salt and pepper.

I have, for some time, really disliked people that answer with a lie, and one of these guys seems to be telling a fib, heck, maybe they both are. I also dislike the 'if I told you, I would have to kill you' line.

As to the cooker, yeah, it is the cook. But, if I am using a cooker that I know will do what I ask it to do, and do it quickly, then I will be a better cook. Flat out, the best equipment will make a good cook better, but, it won't help a bad cook at all.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

In general, if I have a recipe someone wants, I give it to them, with the caveat that I measure rarely, and poorly, so it is all estimates. Now, if I had a business, say a rub business, then I would just politely decline, saying I normally share recipes, but, this is my business and I simply can't give that recipe away. But to lie, in a purposeful way, to misdirect someones efforts, that rubs me wrong.

I used to see it in fishing all the time, someone asking about what someone is using, and the more experienced fisherman lying about the fly or bait he is using.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
jimstocks53
Take a breath!

Sounds like John-boy has an axe to grind - not sure I trust anything he says as Aaron's wannabe competitor. Even so, good luck to him and I might try some pickle juice next brisquet.
jimstocks53 is offline   Reply With Quote