MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #151
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

It won't be a waste. I've done it before. While I agree that they say they don't use anything else is probably bs, a good cut, properly cooked with just Salt and Pepper will always be delicious. Probably not the best ever, but if you're curious, I guarantee you will eat it with plenty of deliciousness.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #152
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Personally though, I often forgo my more complicated rubs on brisket and just roll with:
Coarse Black Pepper
Kosher Salt
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder

Simple enough, with enough flavor to really make it special.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #153
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

My base flavor for brisket is Montreal seasoning. If beef is a good cut and cooked right you shouldn't need a whole lot of seasoning.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 AM   #154
Danny B
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDEDTURKES View Post
He was actually nice enough to come back and answer a guy in the questions..

"Try 8 parts coarse ground pepper, 3 parts Lawry's, 3 parts kosher salt, and one part granulated garlic. Rub it down with a half and half mixture of hot dog mustard and pickle juice first before sprinkling the rub on. if it's not working for you, come down to la barbecue and i'll walk you through it. A lot of it has to do with the cooker you are using and the times and temp. I'll walk you through it"
I hope it's ok to bump this old thread. I stumbled on this post after a google search on John Lewis and La Barbecue. I have never had the discipline to just do 50/50 k salt and pepper consistently. I always have to tinker so I made the above rub. Honestly it smells about the same as 50/50 S&P.

I have never done the pickle juice and mustard slather. Any suggestions on what kind of pickle juice and what brand? It's for 4.5 pound beef plate ribs, not brisket if that makes any difference. I really want to achieve that bark I see some of these Texas guys get that I see on TV.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #155
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Pickle juice?

Hmmm...
I've used pickle juice a couple times now on beef ribs and brisket and I like it.

I spritzed with it though. I didn't include it in my lather.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #156
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
I hope it's ok to bump this old thread. I stumbled on this post after a google search on John Lewis and La Barbecue. I have never had the discipline to just do 50/50 k salt and pepper consistently. I always have to tinker so I made the above rub. Honestly it smells about the same as 50/50 S&P.

I have never done the pickle juice and mustard slather. Any suggestions on what kind of pickle juice and what brand? It's for 4.5 pound beef plate ribs, not brisket if that makes any difference. I really want to achieve that bark I see some of these Texas guys get that I see on TV.
I don't think pickle juice brand matters much. I'm sure he used standard pickle juice from the restaurant. Nothing fancy I'm sure.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #157
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

S&P works fantastic on turkey.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #158
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I don't think pickle juice brand matters much. I'm sure he used standard pickle juice from the restaurant. Nothing fancy I'm sure.
I use dill pickle juice.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #159
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Last edited by yakdung; 12-16-2016 at 05:59 PM..
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #160
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Does Franklin (or any other renowned Q joint) only use salt and pepper?

Who knows...who cares?
Its moot really. Everyone is looking for the magic bullet. Like there is some magic bullet rub or sauce. I see it often in comp. Newbies think if they just find that one rub, bam, instant success. Just not the way it works. Seasoning is a personal preference. Not any one will satisfy everyone.

People dont wait 5 hrs in line for the the seasoning.

They wait in line for a brisket thats been cooked to perfection.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #161
Roguejim
is One Chatty Farker

As a slather, pickle juice will be undetectable in the final product, tastewise that it.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #162
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

And if you read his book you'll notice he is very particular about the packer he gets his briskets from and the cattle they process.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #163
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
And if you read his book you'll notice he is very particular about the packer he gets his briskets from and the cattle they process.
Yup quality matter with brisket. whole lot more than the rub. Id put the trim job and the cooker above rub too.

He claims the fat is better on them. He also claims they are from a sustainable, responsible farm. Thats important to our modern hipster generation.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:49 PM   #164
Mustang97mb
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Interesting that this made the front page, as I went to John Lewis's new place, Lewis BBQ in Charleston, SC. His brisket is AMAZING and the HOT GUTS sausage is out of this world. I drove 2 hours for some of his bbq and then caught the new Rogue One movie after. It was an amazing day to say the least!!!
Mustang97mb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #165
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I use 3 parts pepper, 2 salt, 1.5 garlic 1 celery seed .5 cayenne... simple and easy.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote