MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #136
kmenard
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis469 View Post
Maybe y'all should just come on down, try the meat!
I plan to next time I am down there from MA...Always love Kreuz and Coopers and always looking to try a new place on my artery clogging adventures :)
kmenard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #137
Angel Que
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
How light or heavy of a coating would you define what you applied ?

What was your ratio of salt to pepper ?

Was it more coarse grained salt & pepper or more like table grind ?

Did you foil at all ?
I made a brisket this way just a week ago and it turned out great! Used a medium to heavy coating, ratio was 50/50 Kosher Salt and course ground pepper, I didn't end up foiling it all. Cooked it on a Weber Performer using the snake method and a few hickory chunks along the way. Oh and also made Franklin's BBQ sauce to go with it! Everything was a hit at my b-day party.
Angel Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #138
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Kinda tired of people dumping on Mr. Franklin. But, he's on top, has been for a while, and some people won't rest until he's knocked down a peg. This I know for sure: prior to reading the Texas Monthly article naming Franklin's the best I was using a 4 part rub that included Montreal Steak seasoning and I made good brisket. But since I've switched to a LIGHT rub of just Kosher salt and large grain pepper, my brisket is phenomenal. Smoke, heat, salt, pepper. Done.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #139
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Smoke, heat, salt, pepper. Done.

Can I get an amen.....

Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #140
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Kinda tired of people dumping on Mr. Franklin. But, he's on top, has been for a while, and some people won't rest until he's knocked down a peg. This I know for sure: prior to reading the Texas Monthly article naming Franklin's the best I was using a 4 part rub that included Montreal Steak seasoning and I made good brisket. But since I've switched to a LIGHT rub of just Kosher salt and large grain pepper, my brisket is phenomenal. Smoke, heat, salt, pepper. Done.
I should have read all the way through first, based on John's great initial post I may have jumped to the conclusion that Franklin was being "dumped on." My apologies to John for doing so.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #141
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Amen!!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #142
Angel Que
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Amen!
Angel Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #143
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

I too used to do all kinds of fancy stuff to my brisket. Because of Aaron I started doing only S and P. Best briskets I've ever done although I agree it does get boring. I do a fairly heavy rub and it turns out great-not too salty at all.
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #144
BASSER
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ROB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQPitt View Post
I think some people have gotten too enamored with what "real" or "great" bbq is. At the end of the day, if you put 47 different ingredients on it, and it tastes great to you, it's a great rub, slather, marinade, etc.

As for salt and pepper, some would find it much too bland, some would find it too salty, and some would say it's not salty enough. There is no such thing as "real" bbq, because beauty is in the taste buds of the beholder. UNless you are boiling ribs, in which case of course that's the best, DUH!
I totally agree. It's like some areas of the country saying that it's a sin to put ketchup on a hotdog! Well I hate mustard but that hotdog taste darn good with some ketchup
BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #145
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D
Default Brisketry : Gonna play in Texas you gotta have S&P in tha band..

The funky dirty dalmatian from PitmasterT is my only rub and the one problem I have when I cook brisket's is theirs never enough. Weight measurements is key along with a some what low salt lemon pepper, everything you need to know to produce pedestal worthy meats is all here on the brethren. When older pitmasters say you go on feel not temp or probes like butter know that these folks aren't just blowing smoke...

Equal parts of salt, pepper, lemon pepper..

Texas Test Kitchen's are done,I'm about to grab this bull by the horns..

Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #146
TheBear
Full Fledged Farker

Amen!

I'll play with di deferent ingredients for rubs. But the last few briskest I made were straight up S&P and smoke.
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #147
kpdiver
Knows what a fatty is.

Great thread here. Which wood do most of you prefer for brisket?
kpdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #148
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdiver View Post
Great thread here. Which wood do most of you prefer for brisket?
you're going to get about 10 different responses here.... not sure how it will help.

but for what it's worth I think oak is fantastic on brisket (texas post oak is first choice, followed by any general white oak, then red oak).. and if I had second and third choices it would be pecan and cherry.

Best way is to experiment for yourself and determine what you like best...

Good Luck !
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #149
kpdiver
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah, I figured there would be many opinions. I have a little cherry, pecan, and tons of apple. I do have a bag of the Jack Daniels oak as well. I love the apple on ribs and butts, but not sure how it would do with beef.
kpdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #150
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
The funky dirty dalmatian from PitmasterT is my only rub and the one problem I have when I cook brisket's is theirs never enough.

Equal parts of salt, pepper, lemon pepper..

Texas Test Kitchen's are done,I'm about to grab this bull by the horns..

3 Funky. Sho nuff

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote