MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

Default electric smoker for jerky

My neighbor is getting an electric smoker for his dad for Christmas, with its main purpose being for jerky. Looking for a little insight to pass on.
1) Is an electric smoker the right tool
2)recommendations

Old 12-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

They are air tight enough that it's hard to move the moisture out of the smoker. I've heard some folks opening them every 20-30 minutes to help or even leaving the door cracked open.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-17-2016, 10:19 AM   #3
Ol'Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd recommend a dedicated dehydrator like the Excalibur, had one for years, made great jerky, dried fruits, no smoke flavor of course but we used liquid smoke.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Can't go wrong with little chief smoker. Used my uncles years ago for jerky and salmon.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Joe View Post
I'd recommend a dedicated dehydrator like the Excalibur, had one for years, made great jerky, dried fruits, no smoke flavor of course but we used liquid smoke.
I agree with this. I have the nesco and it works great for jerky. Always better off this then the pellet smoker

Old 12-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

I own a 9 try Excalibur and it is great. Franklin also uses one in this video. He also hits it will a little smoke before he dehydrates.

yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Wingman
Found some matches.

If all you do is jerky I would say dehydrator. But if you want to smoke salmon, cheese, nuts, salt, or other low temp items I would get an electric smoker. It will also do great jerky.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #8
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakdung View Post
I own a 9 try Excalibur and it is great. Franklin also uses one in this video. He also hits it will a little smoke before he dehydrates.
That's what I do as well. The Excalibur is a great dehydrator. They also make smaller ones.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Bbq_lover
Full Fledged Farker

I have a nesco dehydrator. You can buy more racks for it and dry about 14 racks at a time. I hit my jerky with a cold smoker before I dry. I built a little Venturi smoker to push the cold smoke into the chamber. It's pretty easy to build.
Bbq_lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #10
CaptRon
Got Wood.

I've never done any jerky but I can't imagine that my Masterbuilt 40 couldn't dry out thinly sliced beef to the point of turning it into jerky. No water in the pan, open the vent completely and place a small fan on top blowing across the vent to lift and disperse the exiting steam. That said I would also think that a dehydrator would be a better option.
Maybe start with the smoker to give it a smoky flavor and move it to a dehydrator to finish things off?
CaptRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
HunkyDory
Full Fledged Farker

My neighbor has used a couple of Little Chiefs very successfully for many years to do wild game jerky.

I have a $300 Masterbuilt and do the smoking in it then finish drying in a $200 Excaliber . Of course I Cook lots of stuff in the Masterbuilt and dry lots of veggies and other stuff in the Excaliber.

If you are only going to be doing jerky, the $100 Little Chief is the better way better deal.