MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Bob Loblaw
Got Wood.

Default Salt & Pepper brisket bs

Texas Monthly BBQ has been doing ongoing weekly interviews w successful BBQ chefs in tx. The newest one with John Lewis of LA BBQ, formerly the pitmaster at Franklin BBQ.

There's a very interesting paragraph that he shares

JL: I did want to add that I’ve never cooked a brisket in my life whether it be at La Barbecue, at Franklin Barbecue or on the competition circuit with just salt and pepper. I have yet to do that.

So essential, the whole mentality that "we just use salt and pepper" is just plain ol bs! I'm thankful someone finally said it. Anyone with good taste buds or a strong culinary background could tell that Franklin wasn't just using s&p.

http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-john-...f-la-barbecue/
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
BaggerBill
On the road to being a farker

I'm glad you posted that. Last night on BBQ Paradise (Travel Channel?) Both John Mueller and Aaron Franklin were on saying their rub is just equal parts of salt and pepper. The tub they were reaching into for rub looked as if it were only salt & pepper. Based on that, I was thinking of actually trying one that way this weekend but I would hate to waste a brisket.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

I found this interesting with some of the debate on here lately..

]JL: That’s the most key part of doing barbecue, I think. It’s all about the pit you’re cooking on. Some people say it’s the cook and not the cooker. I think it’s the opposite. Taking into account the product that your starting with, having the right kind of cooker that does what you want it to do makes all the difference.
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Texas Monthly BBQ has been doing ongoing weekly interviews w successful BBQ chefs in tx. The newest one with John Lewis of LA BBQ, formerly the pitmaster at Franklin BBQ.

There's a very interesting paragraph that he shares

JL: I did want to add that I’ve never cooked a brisket in my life whether it be at La Barbecue, at Franklin Barbecue or on the competition circuit with just salt and pepper. I have yet to do that.

So essential, the whole mentality that "we just use salt and pepper" is just plain ol bs! I'm thankful someone finally said it. Anyone with good taste buds or a strong culinary background could tell that Franklin wasn't just using s&p.

http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-john-...f-la-barbecue/
Seems he threw that out at the end without being asked, kind of like it was a shot. I have heard Franklin say "salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder" many times. All this guy added was mustard and pickle juice. It would be interesting to know how they use it. I assume they are slathering mustard on prior to seasoning. The pickle juice...is it a spritz, a bath, or an injection?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Interesting, thanks for posting the article. You know what's funny is (based on Franklin and a bunch of others) I started using just S&P instead of all the various rub concoctions a few years ago and I really like it. My last couple of steak & tri-tip cooks I've experimented with adding some roasted garlic and may try a brisket like that, but for now I'm happy with S&P.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Bob Loblaw
Got Wood.

I've never heard franklin mention garlic. Always salt and pep. It's been rammed down the throats of anyone who has watched or read an interview with him.

The unsolicited comment does seem like a jab to me.
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
It would be interesting to know how they use it. I assume they are slathering mustard on prior to seasoning. The pickle juice...is it a spritz, a bath, or an injection?

He was actually nice enough to come back and answer a guy in the questions..

"Try 8 parts coarse ground pepper, 3 parts Lawry's, 3 parts kosher salt, and one part granulated garlic. Rub it down with a half and half mixture of hot dog mustard and pickle juice first before sprinkling the rub on. if it's not working for you, come down to la barbecue and i'll walk you through it. A lot of it has to do with the cooker you are using and the times and temp. I'll walk you through it"
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have used just S&P and I actually perfer it now.

a lot of guys here, its all they use too
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Just S&P is very good. But many times when people tell you they just use S&P it's code for "I ain't tellin' you anything". I also disagree about the pit being more important than the pitmaster. That would be like saying it is the golf clubs rather than the person using them.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Pickle juice?

Hmmm...

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
I'm glad you posted that. Last night on BBQ Paradise (Travel Channel?) Both John Mueller and Aaron Franklin were on saying their rub is just equal parts of salt and pepper. The tub they were reaching into for rub looked as if it were only salt & pepper. Based on that, I was thinking of actually trying one that way this weekend but I would hate to waste a brisket.
Trust me, you won't ruin it with just S&P. it's is my favorite way to season ANY barbecue.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #12
katman
Knows what a fatty is.

Did one last week with just equal parts salt and pepper. Might cut back on the salt next time but I thought it was mighty fine.
katman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
You definitely won't ruin a brisket with S&P. Many Texas pitmasters use S&P as 95% of their rub and add a "secret" ingredient like cayenne or onion powder.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't believe everything you read there is some animosity involved here. I eat at Franklins a couple time a year and have actually talked with the man on a few occasions I call BS !! BaggerBill you know not of what you speak, Tx Brisket is S&P in all the Meccas in the Hill Country and much of the rest of the sate as well. IMO wasting a Brisket or any cut is piling on so much garbage so the pure essence of the critter gets lost is wasteful. But it is My opinion

Old 07-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Don't believe everything you read there is some animosity involved here. I eat at Franklins a couple time a year and have actually talked with the man on a few occasions I call BS !! BaggerBill you know not of what you speak, Tx Brisket is S&P in all the Meccas in the Hill Country and much of the rest of the sate as well. IMO wasting a Brisket or any cut is piling on so much garbage so the pure essence of the critter gets lost is wasteful. But it is My opinion
Yeah I picked up on that in reading. What happened?

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote