MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #31
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa View Post
I use my fingers, using nitrile gloves, here it a recent thread on similar topic
Honestly fellas, I was looking to spend some money, and make you guys "choose for me" where I spent it.
But I think Mr. PWA had the best answer right here.
Seems I've not been cooking my butt long enough. I was taking it to an internal temp of 160, wrapping it, coolering it, and using two table forks to shread it.
What a pain!!!!!!!!

But I think I need to wait another 40 degrees before I pull my butt.

Guys, I can't thank you enough. Not sure where I got my ideal I.T. of 160, but I thank you for my continued education.

"Meat on Brothers!"
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #32
BAD324
Got Wood.

well I'll be damned I read that and I think this is part of my problem sometimes as well
BAD324 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #33
Icekub
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Honestly fellas, I was looking to spend some money, and make you guys "choose for me" where I spent it.
Seems I've not been cooking my butt long enough. I was taking it to an internal temp of 160, wrapping it, coolering it, and using two table forks to shread it.
What a pain!!!!!!!!

Guys, I can't thank you enough. Not sure where I got my ideal I.T. of 160, but I thank you for my continued education.

"Meat on Brothers!"
I believe USDA says cook pork to internal temp of 160 for safety. However, for pork butts desired taste and tenderness, you @ least want to do until 180-200. If its a bone-in boston butt, once the bone wiggles freely, you are done. Think of it like a giant meat therm
Icekub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #34
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I think you've found most of your problem for pull -- I wouldn't want to attack a 160 degree butt with two forks either!! When the butt's properly cooked and rested, the main meat chunks will just fall off, the fatty areas will be either dissolved into yumminess or will just sheet off easily by hand. Then it doesn't take much finger pressure to break the meat into bite-sized chunks.

Another vote here for nitrile disposable gloves over cotton ones that are damn near disposable (like these http://www.harborfreight.com/general...ves-46992.html ). You're insulated, but you can feel what you're doing.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #35
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
What a pain!!!!!!!!

"Meat on Brothers!"

Like I said if you need power tools to pull apart your pork................

That is most likely your biggest problem. Take those suckers up to 200-205 then pull them apart. 160 is nice if you are doin a pork loin or something you want to slice but not even close to where you want it for pulling. If you can't cleanly pull out the bone with little effort, they aren't ready yet.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #36
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Great information, thanks guys.
Ya know, the best part, is that I've already got cotton gloves and laytex gloves for using with wood working projects.
Seems I had everything I needed.....except for the knowledge.

Can't wait for the next butt cook.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #37
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

160 degree butt is fine for slicing but it would be mighty tough to pull. I have a pair of the Charcoal Companion metal units and they work well enough but I tend to end up with the pork shredded a bit finer than I really like it. I find that using my fingers wearing the Raichlen gloves gives me a better feel for the finished product. Besides, I keep punching holes in the foil pans using the metal jobbies.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #38
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboy View Post
I got some Bear Paws for Christmas and the opening is plenty big for my hands. You'd have to have pretty big man hands not to fit through the opening.

Though I must say, I like the look of the implements your wife found on the internet.

I'm a big ole, 6-sammich, eatin fella with big mitts and the Bear Paws fit just fine for me.

Great product and darn near a weapon!!!!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #39
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess it depends on how much meat you have to pull. (Wait, did I just say that?!)

Seriously... I do it by hand using a pair of heat-resistant gloves if it's only one butt. For 2 or 3... I use my bear claws. I think if I was doing commercial work - I'd look into something like the drill attachment. Or invest in a giant cutting board and some cleavers.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #40
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Turtle View Post
160 degree butt is fine for slicing but it would be mighty tough to pull.
That's a great statement, right there. Thanks TT!