MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Anyone ever build an Arduino temperature controller? {GEEKS}

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys have ever built an Arduino, or any microcontroller, powered temperature controller.

I've always been a fan of Arduinos because of the ease of programming and relatively simple programming language, but never bought one. The Arduino Uno, pictured below, went on sale for $19 and I had to pick one up. Coming in the mail this afternoon.

Also, I ordered a 40 mm Scythe fan, for $4, which is powered by 12 V, not 5 V which is what the Arduino supplies. Not sure if it's gonna run too well, maybe an electrical engineer out there can help me out, the fan draws 0.06 amps, the Arduino powered by USB will supply 0.5 amps. I'm hoping it just runs at reduced speed.

Also have three thermistors, to measure temperature, and five 10k ohm resistors in the mail. Will build a simple circuit with some LEDs and a peizo to alert me when the temperature drops below set temp.

Sorry for techy post. Has anyone ever built their own iQue like set-up and how did it go?

Thanks

Sorry for the techy post,

Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Cool! I would be interested in a similar project, but don't understand the electronics to figure it all out for myself.

Can you share where you bought your materials from?
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
touchdowntodd
Full Fledged Farker

hmm ... i could get into this .. keep the info comin

Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
NVehr13
Knows what a fatty is.

This actually crossed my mind the other day on the way home from work. But i wanted to use a Raspberry Pi, Two temps, (one monitors meat temp, one monitors grill temp) and the one that controls the power for the fan.

I didnt see any reason it wouldnt be feasible, may take some doing and may have to write some software for it. but keep us posted, i may get mine underway in the winter when i actually have time to do it
NVehr13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Alright, for those asking for information about this project, I bought the Arduino from Amazon.com. The advantage of them is they have all the chips built into it with a standard USB connection, while if I tried to save money and buy a $1.00 micro-controller, I'd have to use serial and proprietary connectors which would be a huge PIA.

The first problem I've run into is the thermistor's I will be using max out at roughly 260 F. That's not a problem, because I'm looking to monitor when the temp drops, which will be somewhere between 210-225 F as the cut off.

I will be posting pics as I will be going. Instead of spending $150 for an iQue, I can build a similar unit for $35.

I will update with pics as I build the circuit and write the code. I'm a-OK as a programmer, not as strong as an electrician. We'll see

Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Corky
is one Smokin' Farker

I think someone on the Virtual Weber Bullet made something like this. Check there.
[SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] Weber Performer
[COLOR=Blue][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen (Fastest in the West!)
[SIZE="2"][B][COLOR="Magenta"]拉猪肉[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]509 BBQ Crew[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, I have read a few threads on the topic over there. Should be a good, relatively quick build.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I have longed for a DIY wireless thermo - I already have an et-7 and et-73 which work great for me, but i would love to be able to interface it with my Android phone. I know the iGrill exists, but I don't own any Apple products and plan to keep it that way. As you develop this project idea, think of an Android "app" please!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
twinsfan
is one Smokin' Farker

CaliKing, once this build is done, I will explore producing the product for Brethren as an affordable temperature control. I am an iPhone user but I feel you on the Android issue. Let me work on it and see if I could develop an app for the platform.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
rabeb25
Full Fledged Farker

I did but it resides in my brewing system ;)

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Not sure if this will help but here are a couple threads.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=controller

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ght=controller

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
muidaq
Full Fledged Farker

For a wireless/connected solution, I'd be inclined to think a Raspberry Pi rig would come in cheaper. Arduinos get rather expensive once you add comm shields.

Can't wait for the outcome of this, though. I started down this path a while back and got as far as figuring out how to use a Maverick probe instead of the little thermistor. Then I discovered Auber and wussed out.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #13
dcoyle4040
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm a newbe but wont that fan melt? Or does it sit far enough away from the coals to be safe. Sorry for the newbe questions
dcoyle4040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
shibby30
Got rid of the matchlight.

Not sure if this would be helpful.
http://hackaday.com/2012/03/12/testi...er-with-steak/

Instead of relays controlling hot plates the relays could control a fan.

Sous vide is just low and slow cooking using a water bath.

Arduino PID code
http://arduino.cc/playground/Code/PIDLibrary

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by shibby30; 07-11-2012 at 10:12 PM..
shibby30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
kennyd0118
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabeb25 View Post
I did but it resides in my brewing system ;)

This is what I'm looking to build. I'd love some info on what you did. I'm an embedded system programmer so that part is easy. I'm more curious about the brew system. I'm still doing all-grain in the driveway but would love to move indoors. Beautiful pot you have there!
Thanks
-Kenny
kennyd0118 is offline   Reply With Quote