MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #31
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Wow, you took a pretty big chef's snack off the top of that thing.
It fell off, nothing could be done

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #32
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

don't really understand cutting the bones off and tying back on. I know people do but I like the flavor of bone in roasts. It takes under 10 seconds to cut the roast off the rack when you are ready, and it's not like it's a technical cut. Those things in mind, please help me understand the benefit of cutting the roast off the rack then tying it back together.
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #33
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

1)you will get your flavor / spice profile in between the bone and main meat. As we all know the spice will only travel just under the surface, it never will penetrate no matter how long.
2) this also helps the flavor on the bone, which in my opion is the best part. Getting that salt in the middle really kicks it up and it is ready to go once out of the cooker.OR you can place on the grill for another sear..
3) when you do this ahead of time, especially when you have 2 or 3 large roast going on, it will help you serve your guests. You will be able to slice any size you want or location for doneness... and when people ask for a bone in, you can neatly place along side the main piece. Now when the first one is done being sliced, you can have an instant start on the next one.
However the size of the roast, even a two or three boner this is how I prefer to do it, but if you have 150 or 200 people to serve and you are the one standing there with the peoples plates pointed at ya you have to rock and this gives you the best chance to keep the line moving...with the best flavor they will ever have..
Also, I will have a grill going at the next station for the people that want a quick sear, or a well done piece..
Give it a try, you will NOT be dissapointed....

Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #34
saychz316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

so i was unable to locate a bone in prime rib at my local costco today. i settled for a boneless. its safely in the freezer now, not to be seen again until christmas! thank you all again for the help. photos to follow in a few weeks.

here is a preliminary shot. wish me luck. as you can see, to spendy for a practice run, so im going to do my best.

saychz316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #35
lowbass
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saychz316 View Post
so i was unable to locate a bone in prime rib at my local costco today. i settled for a boneless. its safely in the freezer now, not to be seen again until christmas! thank you all again for the help. photos to follow in a few weeks.

here is a preliminary shot. wish me luck. as you can see, to spendy for a practice run, so im going to do my best.

If I spent that much on a piece of meat for Christmas my guest's better know that's their Christmas present too.
lowbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #36
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

around here black angus is 6 25 for a whole roast...on the special rack at rest depot I got my last angus for 5 bucks ---even trimned! ...dont freeze it, let it wet age for a month...

Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #37
saychz316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbass View Post
If I spent that much on a piece of meat for Christmas my guest's better know that's their Christmas present too.

Yeah i hear you. This is an out of the ordinary purchase for me. However my parents are coming to town and I don't get to see them but a couple times per year, so I kind of splurged for them.

The unfortunate result of this purchase is that my backyard bbq cooking budget is now way over spent for this month. So nothing but simple stuff for the next few weeks. Not that my spatch cooked chicken last night was bad, but I do love a nice butt or a brisket now and then.
saychz316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #38
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saychz316 View Post
Hello all!

With Christmas looming, and my parents coming to town from Colorado for a 10 day stint to visit and spend time with their grandkids, I wanted to make them something special for Christmas Eve dinner. A USDA Prime prime rid.

I am hoping to gain some knowledge on a prime rib on my Vision kamado cooker.

I have never done a prime rib before on a smoker, bbq, etc. And as you can imagine, with the cost of a USDA Prime prime rib, a couple practice runs are not in the budget! My local Costco is stacked with them right now, and I plan on picking one up this weekend, freezing it, and making it on the 24th.

My goals.

1. A nice bark on it. My rub will be pretty basic prime rib rub. I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Kosher salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dried rosemary. I use montreal steak seasoning and Todds Dirt (herb rub)

2. A very nice, warm, juicy & pink medium rare center. I do a reverse sear to achieve that. I smoke at lower temp and then finish at high heat.

So here goes my questions. Please feel free to copy and paste the questions and add your response.

1. Boneless, or bone in? Im leaning towards boneless, only because of the ease in slicing once done. Will the bone in be better? Bone in usually the bone is almost detached and you can put the rub in between the ribs and the meat. I cook rib side down to help shield the meat from the heat.

2. What temp to cook at? Low, slow 225-275ish? Or would you all consider something higher? 300-350ish? The second one I did was at the lower temp around 275.

3. What temp to cook it to? I was thinking cooking it to 125 and then resting and slicing at 135 for a nice medium rare? Or would cooking to 120 and slicing at 130 be better? Bingo. I pull at 125 and then rest until just before serving. 15 minutes before I serve it I broil it in the oven at 500 to sear the outside

4. Method for cooking in smoker. Do you put it in a shallow roasting pan like an oven bake, or set it on the rack like I do pork shoulder, brisket, etc? And if on the rack, do I use a water pan on top of my ceramic deflector? I used the baking pan. I am not super familiar with the ceramic but I don't think you need a water pan.

5. Direct or indirect heat? I did direct but I have a weber so it has a large space between the fire and the food.

6. Lace with butcher string while cooking? I did. I probably wouldn't if it was boneless.

7. Last but not least, what wood to use while cooking? I have the lump for the cooker, just need to decide on a wood. Oak is coming to mind, or maybe hickory? I really like pecan with beef but that is a personal choice I think.

Thank you all in advance for any help possible. I really want to make a great meal, but unfortunately I cant do any practice runs due to cost of the meat. I know its a bit of a gamble, but with all the great stuff I have read around here, I know I can get it right the first time. I have all my sides vectored out, so Im all good there.

Im new around here and mostly read, so this is really my first posting looking for help. I will post pron once made so everyone can see my efforts.

Thanks again!!

-Kevin
If you are looking at the 2 below don't follow the stuff in the first one. I wasn't nearly as happy with it as I was with the second attempt.

First Attempt
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=prime+rib

Second Attempt
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=prime+rib
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #39
jon s
Knows what a fatty is.

I also did the low temp method... Seasoned with garlic, kosher salt, black pepper. I seared the rib first. Then I set the temp around 225 on a boned rib. I put a diffuser in the grill with a shallow disposable pan to catch the drippings. Cooked until the internal hit 125 degrees and let it sit for 45 minutes... It was pink right up to the edge. The advantage of cooking low and slow is that the meat does not shrink as much, losing about 8-10% in weight... Cooking at 325 loses about 15%, a big difference.

The only problem I have now is that I am almost out of lump coal. They only have lump coal in spring in Hawaii and the stores run out after October. I bought four bags of Royal Oak after Halloween and they are almost gone. The stores ae sold out so I might have to revert to briquets which leave a big mess afterwards. There is local lump coal available made from kiawe (a local mesquite) but it sparks a lot and has a strong smoked after taste.
jon s is offline   Reply With Quote