MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Smokin' Guns on Ribs

I just ordered some Smokin' Guns Hot and Gun Powder. I want to try it out on some spare ribs. Any ideas on a good sauce that compliments the rub? If they turn out good I will more than likely stick with it for competitions.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Hot would do well with a semi sweet sauce.I would suggest a modified blues hog.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Jaskew......try a sauce that has a sweet component to it, and you'll get the "sweet start, little bite late" flavor profile that I'm always seeking. Good luck!

Lang 60D trailer
[COLOR=darkorange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Gateway 55 gallon Clone X2
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

This past weekend I smoked some ribs rubbed 50/50 with Smokin Guns Hot and Yardbird. Sauced with Cowtown. The BEST ribs I have done in 20 years!

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
WVFD710
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I tried this with the "Bone Suckin' Sauce" from Cracker Barrel a few times last month. it is somewhat sweet and I liked it and got good reviews on it!
WVFD710 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
This past weekend I smoked some ribs rubbed 50/50 with Smokin Guns Hot and Yardbird. Sauced with Cowtown. The BEST ribs I have done in 20 years!
Never tried Cowtown, what other sauces might you compare it to?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We've been using Sweet Heat as a base layer rub for ribs...adding another rub after they sweat for a while. We top this off with a "sweet" sauce (Blues Hog, doctored Sweet Baby Rays to name a couple). Gun Powder used as a finishing rub on top of the sauce.

Good eating! We love the combination of sweet and heat in our bbq.
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the suggestions!! Most people in Texas like dry ribs, but that's not what wins at competitions. So I'm trying to switch stratagies. I also heard a rumor that KCBS is coming soon! Can't wait for that to happen.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote