MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #61
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ok, two last questions the I'm stepping out of the mix so Phil doesn't slap me.

If it's onsite presentations, how does that differ from marking an entry so the judges know who it belongs too? I know more judges in this area like Sledneck better than me and if we both carried our boxes into the tent at the same time, they'd say "Oh, Sledneck! I can't wait to dig in!!!" then "F'ing SIDE. He probably spit in this."

As for the sausage category, can those competing use bacon or other pre-treated ingredients? And will the meat be weighed to make sure it is at least one pound?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand the thought process.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #62
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I Give it a 6. I might go to 7 if you get rid of that Schaefer Beer.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #63
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

A few things based on questions I have gotten.

1 - I would hope our judges would judge professionally and fairly. Its the nature of the beast when they come to your site to judge.

2 - We DO NOT HAVE A SAUSAGE CATEGORY. Its a FATTY category. The 'fatty' has a long distinguished history in the group and its never been a linked or cased sausage. Starting out originally as a Jimmy Dean, It has always been a chub, seasoned and stuffed to the limits of imagination. So, it is in the spirit of this forum to present the fatty as we have always described it, a 1lb chub or bigger. As far as ingredients, bacon cooked from raw would be allowed as would an edible wrapping. (A casing is not a wrapping). Meat inspections will ensure theres at least one pound of ground meat to be used for the fatty. I would hope we would not have to weigh things.
(Along the same lines, I believe KCBS rules state a pork but must weigh 5 lbs, but i have yet to see one weighed.)

3 - The judging for pizza and fatty is in the judging tent, not your site. Those must be turned in as normal.

c'mon folks, Break out those stupid turkey shaped plates you only use once a year and decorate it, throw on some cornish hens and make it look like a barnyard.. this will be fun!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #64
SmokeInDaEye

Two last questions. Why can I turn a fattie in for a sausage category but I can't turn a sausage in for a fattie category? And does each portion for the judges have to weigh a pound or is the pound the sum of the meat you start with?

(And yes, I'm just breaking balls here. I'm sure it will be fun as always)
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Old 09-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #65
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

This contest is sounds cool. Lots of interesting categories and presentations. All designed to stretch your imagination and cooking skills. Saturdays contest is not a standard KCBS contest at all. If that is what you thought you were getting in to, I'm sorry. Hopefully everyone will realize this and have some fun with it. Push the envelope of the 9X9 styro box thingie and do something really cool. Please don't get stressed about this. Part of the reason for doing some of the things they are doing is to reduce your stress, like letting you have the judges come to your site rather than having to worry about getting it to them on time. How cool is that? Put the monkey on their back for a change.

And a fatty category. This one is my favorite, due to the fact that I gave it the name and that when you hear or see the word fatty in regards to BBQ, you know that it all started here at the Brethren. This is something that we named. No we didn't invent it, we just perfected it.

Some folks are a bit confused as to exactly what a fatty is. It can be many things. It can be as simple as just opening one up and smoking, or complex like a Fatty Wellington. I love that one. It can be so many things, that a list would probably not be conclusive. That's part of the coolness of them. What it is, is some type of ground meat of at least a pound, that is shaped into a tube. It can be stuffed and coated, but not have a casing. That would be sausage, and while fatties are usually sausage, this is not a sausage contest. That would be much more open. A fatties shape should be tubular and fat, not skinny, resembling that original fatty: The Jimmie Dean type in a plastic container with ties on the end. That is where it gets the double meaning of fatty, the one you could get arrested for smoking. Got it?

Hopefully this will help you understand this contest better and allow you to lay back and have some fun. I sure wish I could be there to see it.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #66
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
And a fatty category. This one is my favorite, due to the fact that I gave it the name and that when you hear or see the word fatty in regards to BBQ, you know that it all started here at the Brethren. This is something that we named. No we didn't invent it, just perfected it.

Some folks are a bit confused as to exactly what a fatty is. It can be many things. It can be as simple as just opening one up and smoking, or complex like a Fatty Wellington. I love that one. It can be so many things, that a list would probably not be conclusive. That's part of the coolness of them. What it is, is some type of ground meat of at least a pound, that is shaped into a tube. It can be stuffed and coated, but not have a casing. That would be sausage, and while fatties are usually sausage, this is not a sausage contest. That would be much more open. A fatties shape should be tubular and fat, not skinny, resembling that original fatty: the Jimmie Dean type in a plastic container with ties on the end. That is where it gets the double meaning of fatty, the one you could get arrested for smoking. Got it?
That's a great summary, bigdog! Again, I am just busting chops but this sounds like a great out-of-the-box (literally) contest. I am also for hire as a consultant in any categories! Been waiting all year for sayville and only a month to go...

Old 09-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #67
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
That's a great summary, bigdog! Again, I am just busting chops but this sounds like a great out-of-the-box (literally) contest. I am also for hire as a consultant in any categories! Been waiting all year for sayville and only a month to go...
SIDE, As Nike would say, Just Do It.

I expect to see you defending your title.

No excuses.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #68
HolySmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jobaba-Que

any more news about the port-o-potties?
JC'S BAR-B-QUE & CATERING
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG 84-Deluxe warmer, Webber Kettle
18WSM & 22.5WSM, Smokey Joe, Meadow Creek PR60,
Meadow Creek PR72, Backwoods Fatboy (2x)
HolySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #69
HolySmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jobaba-Que

do we know what kind of Sabbrett hot dogs are being provided? Skinless, foot long, just wondering since it's a cat i might as well prepare for it... At least i don't have to eat them.

Also is the chef's choice limited to only one portein?
JC'S BAR-B-QUE & CATERING
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG 84-Deluxe warmer, Webber Kettle
18WSM & 22.5WSM, Smokey Joe, Meadow Creek PR60,
Meadow Creek PR72, Backwoods Fatboy (2x)
HolySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #70
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Hope you all get done beating each other up before Cracker and I get there !!! Don't know what our game plan is yet, or what we will be cooking on, but we will be ready for the 12 oz. curl competition.

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #71
Transformer BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
First off..

Hot Dog? that was news to me.

I believe it came in from a sponsor. They will be optional and not count towards GC.

Where does it say it optional? (besides here)
Transformer BBQ
FEC 100, Lang 60M, Jamie Geer Backyard
Viking Professional Gasser
Transformer BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #72
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I see my reputation proceeds me!!!

BTW - I didn't get anything sent to me regarding the contest. Can someone send me the information please! [email protected]

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #73
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

yes, chefs choice can contain more than one protein. Its pretty much wide open.

The hot dog is an ancillary/optional category. Hot dogs became optional yesterday as soon as we found out about it. An updated email will be going out shortly.
Sabrett is sponsoring a portion of the grilling event, both monetarily and with product, so its only fair that they be a part of it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #74
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Oddly, the email went out while Phil was posting his note. Strange synchronicity there.

On another note, please keep chatter about the event in the 'roll call' thread for Sayville.

I'm hoping to keep this thread for announcements, questions and clarifications.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #75
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Sabrett is sponsoring a portion of the grilling event, both monetarily and with product, so its only fair that they be a part of it.
EXCELLENT! This is the type of thing that should always be welcome.

And I do love Sabrett hot dogs!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brethren, Competition, october, sayville