MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #106
Flyboy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimstocks53 View Post
Sounds like John-boy has an axe to grind - not sure I trust anything he says as Aaron's wannabe competitor. Even so, good luck to him and I might try some pickle juice next brisquet.

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion about John, but I can tell you that you are mistaken. John left Franklin on good terms. He was the cook at Franklin and spent a number of months training his replacement. Had there been animosity when he left, it would have been a sudden departure.

As far as his food goes, I have never had better. Yesterday I had about 2 lbs of brisket, turkey, ribs, guts, and every one of them was cooked to perfection. I have cooked brisket with only salt, pepper and garlic, and had excellent results. John isn't saying that it isn't good. He only stated that he has never cooked a brisket using only salt and pepper.

Go by and see him some time. He is a great guy. You won't spend more than 20 minutes waiting in line, you will probably enjoy some free beer, and I will bet you that you will find it the best BBQ in Austin.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #107
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
Pickle Juice? Really? Sometimes I think these guys just say things to throw people off. If you do put pickle juice on the brisket, I think it would have the same effect as mustard... nothing other than a binding agent for the rub. Now, if you inject with pickle juice, I think the results would be a bit more noticeable... and I for one, don't think I would want to notice that! Just saying.
I could see the right kind of pickle juice adding a very distinct flavor enhancer. I may try that as an experiment myself. I don't see it as much of a binding agent. It's wet, but not viscous like mustard or oil.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #108
Speed
Found some matches.

I've met John and had some great converastion at his place there in Austin. He was very nice and was pretty forth coming with answers to the questions I asked. I would have a very hard time questioning his integrity. I have eaten his beef ribs and can tell you they are amazing! I can also tell you his pit design is spot on and works well for him. I do think there is something to a well designed pit versus the cook. Why do so many championship teams cook on Jambo's? Because they cook great due to thier design. You still have to have the basics of cooking down but a cooker can make or break you!

The pickle juice does not seem that far fetched to me. If they are serving pickles as a condiment, what do you do with the left over pickle juice? Cross utilization of product is critical in the food industry. It sounds like John has it figured out! As mentioned before, Paul Kirk mentions this in one of his books and I've seen it in a couple more as well.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #109
beer and bbq
Got Wood.

They might use a blend of pepper and salt, but don't forget the most important ingredient the wood they use for smoke and how they use it. If it wasn't for that you might as well just cook in your oven.
beer and bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #110
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter View Post
Vinny,

I have (and do) use a mustard slather sometimes, but I have not noticed any impact on taste or flavor, other than a nicer bark on the meat. So my questions are 1) Could I be "not" mustard slathering correctly if the flavor is not impacted in some way? And 2) Does pickle juice actually impact flavor?

I don't think it can have that much impact especially on larger cuts... It's not something I've done in a long time, but if/when I do it, I like something along these lines...

For me, it's more about just changing it up a bit and going back to something I started using very early when I was first learning and experimenting.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #111
johnlewis469
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Maybe y'all should just come on down, try the meat!
johnlewis469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #112
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis469 View Post
Maybe y'all should just come on down, try the meat!
Thanks for chiming in John...

Based on your reply above, should we take this as a re-confirmation of the original posters takeaway conclusion from your quote in the article ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #113
johnlewis469

In addition, the first bbq book I ever had was Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ, that started me on the mustard slathers from day one, way before doing this professionally, and I've used it ever since. I think just mustard is too thick for a slather, and it's about binding the rub to the meat, so mixing in some leftover pickle juice or anything to thin it out a bit is great. The slather, I've found, doesn't do anything for the flavor, but does create a firm yet supple bark on the meat. I've cooked on many different types of pits(a lot of them self made), but have come to the conclusion that the slathers only work on an offset pit with a strong draft flowing over the meat, and cooking fat side up. The bark that can be created on the rendered fat is just mind blowing!!! It's totally different, than bark created with sugar containing rubs on the bare lean side of brisket, which is standard in KCBS competition. Side note here, get "Legends of Texas BBQ" by Robb Walsh. I think this one and Paul Kirk's combined are the perfect combination!
As far as just salt and pepper. I've found it to be boring. Keep that rub really granular though, too many spice powders in the mix make for a pasty and soggy bark (especially if you use foil). Try out the salt and pepper rub, but replace half of the salt portion with seasoned salt. I first got the idea when visiting the number one bbq joint in Texas when the last top 50 came out. I detected it in the flavor and saw it sitting around there. I went back home and tried it out and loved it.
Hope some of this helps out, and please don't start injecting pickle juice into briskets!!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #114
johnlewis469

Another thing too, any of y'all wanna come down and cook for a day, come on, free labor is awesome!!!

Old 08-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #115
thunter
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
In addition, the first bbq book I ever had was Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ, that started me on the mustard slathers from day one, way before doing this professionally, and I've used it ever since. I think just mustard is too thick for a slather, and it's about binding the rub to the meat, so mixing in some leftover pickle juice or anything to thin it out a bit is great. The slather, I've found, doesn't do anything for the flavor, but does create a firm yet supple bark on the meat. I've cooked on many different types of pits(a lot of them self made), but have come to the conclusion that the slathers only work on an offset pit with a strong draft flowing over the meat, and cooking fat side up. The bark that can be created on the rendered fat is just mind blowing!!! It's totally different, than bark created with sugar containing rubs on the bare lean side of brisket, which is standard in KCBS competition. Side note here, get "Legends of Texas BBQ" by Robb Walsh. I think this one and Paul Kirk's combined are the perfect combination!
As far as just salt and pepper. I've found it to be boring. Keep that rub really granular though, too many spice powders in the mix make for a pasty and soggy bark (especially if you use foil). Try out the salt and pepper rub, but replace half of the salt portion with seasoned salt. I first got the idea when visiting the number one bbq joint in Texas when the last top 50 came out. I detected it in the flavor and saw it sitting around there. I went back home and tried it out and loved it.
Hope some of this helps out, and please don't start injecting pickle juice into briskets!!!
Great info brother. Thanks for all the clarification.

Pit Happens!

Smokefleet Command
Lang 48 Patio - "Enterprise"
Weber 22.5 Premium Kettle - "Galileo"
Weber SmokeFire EX6 - “Defiant”
thunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #116
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

One of the best briskets I've cooked was just kosher salt, pepper and garlic pepper.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #117
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Another thing too, any of y'all wanna come down and cook for a day, come on, free labor is awesome!!!
Mighty brethren of you

Old 08-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #118
TalonBrew
On the road to being a farker

Oh I'll be there. Flyboy has me hooked.

I'll call first.

Quote:

Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #119
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mustard & pickles are for Cuban samiches, I do Boring very well.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #120
Fishawn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
One of the best briskets I've cooked was just kosher salt, pepper and garlic pepper.
Got one on right now, except with granulated garlic

1 members found this post helpful.