MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
saychz316
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default prime rib help please.

Hello all!

With Christmas looming, and my parents coming to town from Colorado for a 10 day stint to visit and spend time with their grandkids, I wanted to make them something special for Christmas Eve dinner. A USDA Prime prime rid.

I am hoping to gain some knowledge on a prime rib on my Vision kamado cooker.

I have never done a prime rib before on a smoker, bbq, etc. And as you can imagine, with the cost of a USDA Prime prime rib, a couple practice runs are not in the budget! My local Costco is stacked with them right now, and I plan on picking one up this weekend, freezing it, and making it on the 24th.

My goals.

1. A nice bark on it. My rub will be pretty basic prime rib rub. I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Kosher salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dried rosemary.

2. A very nice, warm, juicy & pink medium rare center.

So here goes my questions. Please feel free to copy and paste the questions and add your response.

1. Boneless, or bone in? Im leaning towards boneless, only because of the ease in slicing once done. Will the bone in be better?

2. What temp to cook at? Low, slow 225-275ish? Or would you all consider something higher? 300-350ish?

3. What temp to cook it to? I was thinking cooking it to 125 and then resting and slicing at 135 for a nice medium rare? Or would cooking to 120 and slicing at 130 be better?

4. Method for cooking in smoker. Do you put it in a shallow roasting pan like an oven bake, or set it on the rack like I do pork shoulder, brisket, etc? And if on the rack, do I use a water pan on top of my ceramic deflector?

5. Direct or indirect heat?

6. Lace with butcher string while cooking?

7. Last but not least, what wood to use while cooking? I have the lump for the cooker, just need to decide on a wood. Oak is coming to mind, or maybe hickory?

Thank you all in advance for any help possible. I really want to make a great meal, but unfortunately I cant do any practice runs due to cost of the meat. I know its a bit of a gamble, but with all the great stuff I have read around here, I know I can get it right the first time. I have all my sides vectored out, so Im all good there.

Im new around here and mostly read, so this is really my first posting looking for help. I will post pron once made so everyone can see my efforts.

Thanks again!!

-Kevin
saychz316 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

My responses below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saychz316 View Post
My goals.

1. A nice bark on it. My rub will be pretty basic prime rib rub. I am a keep it simple kind of guy. Kosher salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dried rosemary.

One of my favorites. Montreal Steak Seasoning is also good.

2. A very nice, warm, juicy & pink medium rare center.

Cook it to 125 internal and then rest

So here goes my questions. Please feel free to copy and paste the questions and add your response.

1. Boneless, or bone in? Im leaning towards boneless, only because of the ease in slicing once done. Will the bone in be better?

Bone in. I think the bone adds flavor as it cooks.

2. What temp to cook at? Low, slow 225-275ish? Or would you all consider something higher? 300-350ish?

I've become a fan of lower temps. It gives a more even doneness. I do 225.

3. What temp to cook it to? I was thinking cooking it to 125 and then resting and slicing at 135 for a nice medium rare? Or would cooking to 120 and slicing at 130 be better?

I think cook to 125 and then rest.

4. Method for cooking in smoker. Do you put it in a shallow roasting pan like an oven bake, or set it on the rack like I do pork shoulder, brisket, etc? And if on the rack, do I use a water pan on top of my ceramic deflector?

I've done both. If I want the drippings I'll put it on a rack in a pan

5. Direct or indirect heat?

Indirect. If you want the outside darker at the end then you can switch to direct and sear the outside of the roast, but I've stopped doing that.

6. Lace with butcher string while cooking?

No need. Leave the bones intact, nothing to lace.

7. Last but not least, what wood to use while cooking? I have the lump for the cooker, just need to decide on a wood. Oak is coming to mind, or maybe hickory?

I really like light oak smoke on rib roasts. Pecan is good, too.
Also, use the Google search box near the botton of the page and you'll find dozens of threads on prime rib.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

^^^ threadkiller.

I second everything in the above post. The only thing different is I do sear it quickly after a 20-minute rest.

I would only add that I think Prime Rib is one of the easiest things to cook. There is a huge range of parameters for cooking because it is so hard to mess up. There are reasons for everything Ron said in the above.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
^^^ threadkiller.
Sorry

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

cliff's note version:

roast at 250F (oven or bge) to internal of 130. bussum out to room temp fo rest until guests arrive. Then 8 minutes at 550 or max the rig can do to sear.

credit: Kenji Alt Lopez.

dunno the seasoning part. i just cover wid lawrys.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManakooraMan View Post
bruh, google up kenji alt lopez prime rib. you're welcome.
Kenji Lopez-Alt?

Anything in particular? Google shows a bunch of stuff.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

This was how I did my last Prime rib, Turned out great!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=148529

Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Kenji Lopez-Alt?

Anything in particular? Google shows a bunch of stuff.
Ronelle,
I think this is what he is talking about:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/t...prime-rib.html

If I read it right, the same thing you and most of us do.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

If you like the bones, I suggest having the butcher cut and tie the roast. He will cut the bones from the roast and tie them back on with butchers twine. Then after your cook just cut the stings, remove the ribs and slice.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Ronelle,
I think this is what he is talking about:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/t...prime-rib.html

If I read it right, the same thing you and most of us do.

TIM
There's also a follow-up to that:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/w...m_medium=email
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
ManakooraMan
Knows what a fatty is.

that reverse sear is pure genius, but i don't buy the temperature difference splainin'; must have something to do with drying out the surface.
ManakooraMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Cat in amongst the pigeons maybe.
Season with salt and pepper only,let the meat talk.
I would sear, first in Butter,then in the egg to temp.
No idea on your woods ,but something light and smooth.
Cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

Love prime rib bones
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #14
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

The above works great...However I do a different twist...Using my backwoods cooker I go up to 500 to 600 degress...use a 10 pound prime rib...cut off the bone..spice up...garlic--rosemary--horse radish--salt pepper---oinoin--.tie bone back on...finish spice put in cooker---cook for 1 hour..NEVER OPEN the door...pull heat off (nEVER OPEN THE DOOR to the meat) use external wired probe take intenal temp 120 to 125...
Last weekend doing the same spice, I used an infra red turkey fryer...easier than the back woods cooker and great flavor...no hint of wood though ..
now when you use the high heat, it looks blackened and the middle is JUST PERFECT!!! Untie the bone and cut from that side as the bark is hard to penetrate..I guarentee the best you ever had...
If you want it even better, take off at 115-120 and flash on the charcoal grill...I think I will go make one now..

Old 12-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
If you like the bones, I suggest having the butcher cut and tie the roast. He will cut the bones from the roast and tie them back on with butchers twine. Then after your cook just cut the stings, remove the ribs and slice.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
do this your self and spice up before you tie back together..also if you want once tied together...inject a little beef broth..