Bone in Pork shoulder roast ?

willbird

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Snagged one from Maomart. Close to 9lbs. Enhanced with the 4% solution (no other options.

Cross cut the fat side down to meat and covered it with yellow mustard. Covered it with this rub and wrapped in lined butcher paper and put back in the fridge for overnight.

3 TB Cajun seasoning
4 TB brown sugar (repicpe called for turbinado brown but I used regular)
1/2 tp paprika
1/4 tp cumin
1/4 tp garlic powder
1/4 tp onion powder
1/4 tp salt.

Hope I did not go far wrong so far :).??
Might add some finely chopped Shiitake mushrooms on top

Was planning on smoking at 250 til the bark looks nice, then foil (or maybe parchment paper) til it probes like butter (will play with the bone a bit) then pull and rest awile, then pull it for pulled pork.

Am I headed in the right direction ??

Same source for the rub recipe has a mop
1 cup beef broth
1-1/2 cup water
3/4 cup worchestershire
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tp MSG (may add some Maggi instead ?)
1 tp dry mustard (optional but I do have it on hand)
1tp garlic powder
1tp red pepper

Bill

Last edited:
Snagged one from Maomart. Close to 9lbs. Enhanced with the 4% solution (no other options.

Cross cut the fat side down to meat and covered it with yellow mustard. Covered it with this rub and wrapped in lined butcher paper and put back in the fridge for overnight.

3 TB Cajun seasoning
4 TB brown sugar (repicpe called for turbinado brown but I used regular)
1/2 tp paprika
1/4 tp cumin
1/4 tp garlic powder
1/4 tp onion powder
1/4 tp salt.

Hope I did not go far wrong so far :).??
Might add some finely chopped Shiitake mushrooms on top

Was planning on smoking at 250 til the bark looks nice, then foil (or maybe parchment paper) til it probes like butter (will play with the bone a bit) then pull and rest awile, then pull it for pulled pork.

Am I headed in the right direction ??

Same source for the rub recipe has a mop
1 cup beef broth
1-1/2 cup water
3/4 cup worchestershire
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tp MSG (may add some Maggi instead ?)
1 tp dry mustard (optional but I do have it on hand)
1tp garlic powder
1tp red pepper

Bill
Not only headed in the right direction, but you'll hit a home run with your plans. If your location didn't say 'OH'..... I'd swear you were a Good 'Ole Southern Boy like me.

Just a couple suggestions:

1. I soak anything that has solutions in plain, cold water to remove as much as possible.
2. Smoke that Hog Butt Low & Slow like us Rednecks do - no higher then 220 F.
3. Forget the mop - Hog has plenty of fat to keep it moist if cooking at that lower temp.

What wood to use? I like a 50/50 mix of hickory and pecan for special occasions. However, my everyday 'go to wood' is oak and is Wayyyyy under rated IMHO. 'OAK IS THE SMOKE'. In my neck of the woods its abundant and free.

Whats most important is that you and your guest enjoy that Hog. .....:thumb:

I did rinse it well in the sink under well water, so that might get some of the "solution" out :).

And my dad always said that mason dixon line was not fixed in time and space, but rather it was drawn through the northernmost Waffle House's. and we have them within an hour of here now :).

Bill

I did rinse it well in the sink under well water, so that might get some of the "solution" out :).

And my dad always said that mason dixon line was not fixed in time and space, but rather it was drawn through the northernmost Waffle House's. and we have them within an hour of here now :).

Bill

well played, sir!!! :clap:

Bill
Whats a Waffle House????. Oh...I remember now - some joint that sells heated batter and slops fake maple syruip on it.....LOL...just kidding.

May I suggest serving Real Southern Fried Hush Puppies to go along with that Hog? And don't forget to consume some Ice Cold 'Barly Pops' while that Hog is smokin'.

Enjoy.........:thumb:

Whats a Waffle House????. Oh...I remember now - some joint that sells heated batter and slops fake maple syruip on it.....LOL...just kidding.

May I suggest serving Real Southern Fried Hush Puppies to go along with that Hog? And don't forget to consume some Ice Cold 'Barly Pops' while that Hog is smokin'.

Enjoy.........:thumb:

Got a recipe for the Hush puppies ?? :).

And ice cold Coke Zero will have to do for me and my friend Bill W. :).

Bill

Got a recipe for the Hush puppies ?? :).

And ice cold Coke Zero will have to do for me and my friend Bill W. :).

Bill
I can't give out the secret family hush puppy recipe - Grandpappy would kill me.

Instead, grab a box of House Autry brand puppy mix. They're just a few hollows over from me in Four Oaks, NC and been whippin'-up nice stuff since 1812. Can't find it locally? Go to www.House-Autry.com.

Fry those puppys in Hog lard or in a pinch, peanut oil will work. Be sure to add some finely chopped sweet onion to the mix. Good stuff........

Are you looking for Down East pulled pork? If so, forget the cumin, MSG, and mustard. And forget the mop. Hush puppy's are a personal taste. Some like more or less sugar or onion. Autry's is a good place to start. KISS

Mushrooms?...what are they?
I was thinkin' the same thang. In my neck of the woods, we just dip 'em in beer batter and fry them babys.

They go quite well with Grandpappy's Moonshine. None finer can be had in the southeast......:thumb:

Mushrooms?...what are they?

It went at 11pm last night at 220F.

The mushrooms were not going in or on, or even around the Hush puppies, will look for than brand of stuff next time I shop.

IT on the pork is 160 right now, sprayed it with 1/8 cup maggi, 1/8 cup lee and perrins original thick, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup apple juice, just a spritz not the whole cup :). Ended up not foiling or wrapping, sure looks nice :).

The maggi seasoning and the Shiitake mushrooms are Umami...did a brisket that way that was very good.

Many of my friends on another forum who smoke meat always use the mustard before the rub...so when I saw a recipe with it in there figured I would give it a try.

AJ3M3.jpg

There it is :)

It went at 11pm last night at 220F.

The mushrooms were not going in or on, or even around the Hush puppies, will look for than brand of stuff next time I shop.

IT on the pork is 160 right now, sprayed it with 1/8 cup maggi, 1/8 cup lee and perrins original thick, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup apple juice, just a spritz not the whole cup :). Ended up not foiling or wrapping, sure looks nice :).

The maggi seasoning and the Shiitake mushrooms are Umami...did a brisket that way that was very good.

Many of my friends on another forum who smoke meat always use the mustard before the rub...so when I saw a recipe with it in there figured I would give it a try.
You're on the right path Bill, but I'd ditch the lee & perrins and stick with the apple juice only.

Years ago, I learned how to Q by watching 'Ole southern black gentlemen work their magic. Darn near everyone of them slathered 'whatever' with plain yellow mustard and then apply rubs, spices, etc.

If you're shooting for pulled pork, take that Hog to 205F internal and let it rest for 1/2 hour. If you want sliced, 185-195F will do.

If you want authenic eastern NC style Hog, splash it with a little Scott's Q sauce after its pulled. Its vinegar based, a little hot and tangy so go easy with it. I know some yankees don't like vinegar based but us Rednecks love it!.......www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com and 1-800-734-sauce.

Welp, its time for me to fire the pit and get ready to smoke a couple really nice Hog tenderloins that my friend Ned, the Hog farmer, layed on me.

Enjoy.....:thumb:

We are aiming for pulled pork :).

I'll have to remember to get some of that sauce :). I had a friend from I think GA or maybe AL ?? He asked me "ya'al like GRITS ??" and I asked him if Waffle house grits were a good example ?? He said "Hell NO Willbird"...so I said my answer was "maybe" hehe :).

IMHO when you enter the true "south" every breakfast combo at any sit down restaurant has grits :). I am told the locals WATCH you, if you add butter and salt and pepper they will not harm you....but if you add OTHER things...your day might get ugly ;-O. :) So I stick with salt, pepper, and butter in the grits :).

I love malt vinegar on fish and chips, wife puts it in green beans.

You're on the right path Bill, but I'd ditch the lee & perrins and stick with the apple juice only.

Years ago, I learned how to Q by watching 'Ole southern black gentlemen work their magic. Darn near everyone of them slathered 'whatever' with plain yellow mustard and then apply rubs, spices, etc.

If you're shooting for pulled pork, take that Hog to 205F internal and let it rest for 1/2 hour. If you want sliced, 185-195F will do.

If you want authenic eastern NC style Hog, splash it with a little Scott's Q sauce after its pulled. Its vinegar based, a little hot and tangy so go easy with it. I know some yankees don't like vinegar based but us Rednecks love it!.......www.scottsbarbecuesauce.com and 1-800-734-sauce.

Welp, its time for me to fire the pit and get ready to smoke a couple really nice Hog tenderloins that my friend Ned, the Hog farmer, layed on me.

Enjoy.....:thumb:

I see your locale :)....I was on a motorycle voyage to the outer banks about 1992 or so, was on the ferry to Ocracroke when a guy saw my lic plate, he asked me if I "knew the difference between a good ole boy and a Somb**tch"...I did not so he shared with me it was the OH river, and he laughed(I laughed too)... apparently I took the joke fine because we got onto politics and by the time the ferry landed we were like best buds :)....

Bill

I made an executive decision and foiled it, it had been stalled at 160 for well over 3 hours now, has been in the pit since 11pm last night. Added some apple juice. Probes pretty decent but pork is a new venture for me.

Bill

I was thinkin' the same thang. In my neck of the woods, we just dip 'em in beer batter and fry them babys.

They go quite well with Grandpappy's Moonshine. None finer can be had in the southeast......:thumb:
:thumb:

The only sauce I ever use on pulled pork has four ingredients. Distilled vinegar, cayenne, salt and lemon slices.
^^^ That there is real close to mine as well except I like apple cidar vinegar and add.........I'll just say.......a few more spices.

We are aiming for pulled pork :).

IMHO when you enter the true "south" every breakfast combo at any sit down restaurant has grits :). I am told the locals WATCH you, if you add butter and salt and pepper they will not harm you....but if you add OTHER things...your day might get ugly ;-O. :) So I stick with salt, pepper, and butter in the grits :).

For breakfest, all ya need on grits is a little butter and fresh cracked black pepper. The Virginia salt-cured ham and red-eyed gravey gives all the sodium you need.

Soak-up the rest of the gravy with a buttermilk biscuit, finish that cup of coffee and you're 'Good To Go'.

Back