Need opinions on a firebox Idea for Dera BSKD.

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
I was wondering if I got a peice of plate steel large enough for the top of the firebox that would fit into the grill area would that effectivley keep the eat flowing trow the smoke chamber? Has anyone ever tried this yet? I was thinking that if I could essentially turn the firebox area into a grill/gridle surface without loosing too much heat by keeping the lid open I could increase teh cook ability. I haven't been too keep on cooking on top og the lid yet, it's just not seasoned well enough. I saw a couple of drawing in the past about shields but never heard anyone who's actaully used one.

My plan is to just simply get a piece of heavy guage plate steel that will either fit into the grill inset area or a slightly larger piece that would be able to lay flat across the entier surface area of the firebox and just kinda sandwich between the lid and box. All ideas and opinions are requested.

thanks

John, several of us do this with the factory ashpan. I only do it in cold/windy conditions when every btu counts as it's not without its problems. It cuts down the effective volume of the firebox and makes clean combustion of wood a bit more difficult.

Mark's mod of using a piece of thinner material arched inside the firebox lid creating an insulating space between the lid and the added piece of material is actually a better way to go IMO.

JohnMcD348 said:
I was wondering if I got a peice of plate steel large enough for the top of the firebox that would fit into the grill area would that effectivley keep the eat flowing trow the smoke chamber? Has anyone ever tried this yet? I was thinking that if I could essentially turn the firebox area into a grill/gridle surface without loosing too much heat by keeping the lid open I could increase teh cook ability. I haven't been too keep on cooking on top og the lid yet, it's just not seasoned well enough. I saw a couple of drawing in the past about shields but never heard anyone who's actaully used one.

My plan is to just simply get a piece of heavy guage plate steel that will either fit into the grill inset area or a slightly larger piece that would be able to lay flat across the entier surface area of the firebox and just kinda sandwich between the lid and box. All ideas and opinions are requested.

thanks

If you can find the thread on Phil's MOAB he has the same thing. Huge piece of plate sitting just below the lid of the firebox. The 1/4" plate for the rest of the pit doesn't hurt but TK and other kept that thing humming with nice little fires.

John,
For cooking on top (painted or unseasoned is not good)--I just lay a sheet of HD aluminum foil on top of the firebox.
Then, cook away :lol:

Do eggs, reheat fatties, heat muffins, whatever for breakfast.

TIM

kcquer said:
Mark's mod of using a piece of thinner material arched inside the firebox lid creating an insulating space between the lid and the added piece of material is actually a better way to go IMO.

Plus it will add years to the life of the firebox.

Back