local organic grain fed RIBEYE

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
whole foods has some nice meats. i'm liking it very much.

i covered this steak in kosher salt for about 20 minutes, washed it off, and ground some fresh pepper. cooked it on my "kettle" at @ 700* for 2 minutes per side. ask away and enjoy the pron.

Last edited:
thanks.

got it from john @ patiodaddio. the salt seeps in and seasons the meat while breaking down and tenderizing it at the same time. never too salty, never underseasoned.

i've been doing it this way for a while and will never just salt and pepper a steak again.

Yep, you gotta let the meat sit with salt on it for a while. I used to prep my steaks that way but I have since switched to seasoning with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic and letting it sit for about 20 - 30 minutes (depending on the thickness of the steaks) and then putting them on the grill without washing it off. Of course, I use less salt when doing it that way. They turn out great that way too. I've also tried some soy sauce and worcestershire in the mix too but haven't really noticed where those two extra ingredients add anything worthwhile.

Do you actually cover the steak with salt then rinse or simply season it with a good pinch of salt then rinse?

Do you actually cover the steak with salt then rinse or simply season it with a good pinch of salt then rinse?

You either completely coat and then rinse or just give it a good healthy bit of salt and don't rinse. The key to both is to let them sit for at least 20 or 30 minutes on the counter top. Gives the salt time to work it's way into the meat and lets the meat come to room temp.

in my experience, covering it completely both sides and edges with salt a letting it sit then washing it off completely(under cold water, please)results in the meat being perfectly seasoned.

as a side note, when i did season and then cook right away, i was very heavy handed with the salt. i like it steakhouse salty. BUT, with the above method, i do get a more balanced end product.

BTW, i only cook ribeyes, ever. so YMMV.

bo, what made you stop using this process?

Back