MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default Rib vending question?

In the next few months I will have a lot of vending gigs and I had a question about preparing and freezing ribs for future use. Do you guys do it? What is the best way.

My thoughts were to cook them almost all the way and thaw out overnight before and heat on the grill to order.. Please help me not lose my shirt!!!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chuck

When I do vending, I cook the ribs a 1 - 2 days before and then cool them as fast as possible. They are cooked about 90% of the way by this time. I then will put them back on the smoker at the vending site. After about 45 to an hour, I finish and sauce them on my charcoal grill I have on my mobile smoker.

If the vending event is over 5 hours, I will cook half to three-quarters of the ribs like I said above and the rest at the event. The customers think that they are getting just cooked ribs when they see the smoker open and there are a combo of cooked and just cooking ribs on it.

I have never froze my ribs after cooking just because it is my preference. Try a test run of freezing them, then thawing and finishing them.

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers
chuckswagonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

thanks.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
lazybonesmoke1
Full Fledged Farker

I also do it like chuckswagonbbq. They come out pretty good. I also sauce them to order. I have never tried freezing ribs after they are smoked.
lazybonesmoke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

I do mine all fresh that day and have them coming out in two hour increments.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
TWISTED PIG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

When precooking them how are you wraping them. I too have a big gig coming up & was thinking about doing the same thing. I was considering putting them in vacume seal bags, refridgerating them. Is that too much cost & trouble, or should they just be wrapped with foil, (or plastic wrap)?
TWISTED PIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

For the ribs I am going to cook them 85% done and foil them or vacuum seal them, depending on how many I can get in the bag. There is no way I can cook ribs for the event a couple of days in advance, I need to cook way to many. I am going to get a few racks tomorrow and experiment. I will show you guys picks and the outcome.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-19-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Just get some huge pots and boil them, finish on grill then heavily sauce.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Just get some huge pots and boil them, finish on grill then heavily sauce.
That's what I usually do, but I was trying to actually smoke them this year.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Old 03-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

ok heres what we do. cooked fully cryovac and then we freeze them .. the day you serve all you do is take them out put them in a warmer and bring them to about 140 as you go through a package you start another then you wont have to many out and you will still have them frosen for another day
Old 03-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
chuckswagonbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chuck

I put my ribs in the full size aluminum catering trays and cover with plastic wrap and foil then put in the refrigerator. I can get about 6 to 8 St. Louis style ribs to a tray.

The morning of the event, I pack the tray in the coolers with ice around the trays. I remove then when I need to start to re-heat them.

Meadow Creek CD-108
2 WSM
Small Drum Smokers
chuckswagonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED PIG View Post
When precooking them how are you wraping them. I too have a big gig coming up & was thinking about doing the same thing. I was considering putting them in vacume seal bags, refridgerating them. Is that too much cost & trouble, or should they just be wrapped with foil, (or plastic wrap)?
While I am normally the cryo-suck king... if it's only a couple of days and they are NOT going to be frozen, I would wrap them in plastic wrap and into the fridge...

I do freeze cooked ribs for my customers and for them I cook to within a half hour of being done, cryo-suck, and then put them directly into the freezer...

JMHO
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
TWISTED PIG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks Divemaster !
TWISTED PIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Plastic wrapping two racks at a time works great
Need a helper working the plastic wrap roll (keeping it lined up)
We have held ribs for hours in a hot box
When needed they go to a flat grill
I like the caramelized sauce better :)
Gene Goycochea and Arlie Bragg taught me this one

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote