Deep frying question

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Question is for an establishment that serves fried chicken tenders that are batter dipped on site. If the tenders are battered to order, how safe is it to keep using the same batter in the bowl for the next order, and so on? What if the bowl is kept on a prep table at kitchen temp? Should the batter be discarded at certain intervals? Chicken from fridge to bowl to fryer.

Batter and the flour are usually (must/should be) kept cold. Batter (I'm hoping you mean the egg/milk mixture) is usually made in relatively small batches and kept cold.

We used to keep our flour/seasoning mixture cold, too. and sifted it frequently.

chad said:
Batter and the flour are usually (must/should be) kept cold. Batter (I'm hoping you mean the egg/milk mixture) is usually made in relatively small batches and kept cold.

We used to keep our flour/seasoning mixture cold, too. and sifted it frequently.

It's kept in a large shallow stainless bowl. Maybe .5 - 1 gallon of batter.

I guess the fryer would kill anything. I'm just cautious when it comes to raw chicken.

why not keep it in a big bowel, and allot small amounts for dipping when ready. could pre-mix a big batch, for the day or weekend, then use what you need in a small bowel. Scott

Yakfishingfool said:
why not keep it in a big bowel, and allot small amounts for dipping when ready. could pre-mix a big batch, for the day or weekend, then use what you need in a small bowel. Scott

This is a hole-in-the-wall place by work. I just worry about the batter sitting out and being used after the chicken juices, in my eyes, contaminated it.

If you have ate it, you are obviously still areond to post. So.........

One thought that comes to mind, that if you did contaminate the batter, you will be putting it into oil in the 350-400 range, and literally boiling it in in oil.

Does that kill off the contaminants?

After all, the oil was in contact with the same previous food that would have contaminated the batter, and you are not questioning the continued use of the oil.

Really, as long as they cook it long enough to be done, there shouldn't be a problem due to the process you described, but the taste could be affected if it's out too long. From what I've read- if th e internal temperature isabove 180, it should be free of comtaminates. But I'd worry about their other handling issues. that is if they are haphazard in one aspect, what else may be wrong. It's the possibility of contamination after the product is cooked that is often overlooked. Excuse me, my nose itches....

Back