MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
JimGass
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First butt on UDS

Making my first butt on UDS tonight. I'm cooking for about 90 on Friday, so this is the trial run on the UDS. Haven't used it before. Put a basket full of 50/50 lump/Briquets with about 3 hickory chunks mixed in throughout. Lit 6 briquets til they were white and put on top. Let the thing run for about 30 minutes, it jumped to 250 in about 10 min and hung there. put the butt on about an hour ago. temp dropped to 200, then went quickly to 300, now it's been steady at 250 for about 45 minutes. I'm going to bed, will check on things in the morning.

Good night all.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
subzero
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Good luck JimGass. I'm sure it will turn out great. I just did my first butt on the UDS last weekend. What a treat it is not to have to attend to the fire every few minutes.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
JimGass
Knows what a fatty is.

So I did something wrong. I thought I had the temp locked in, but apparently not. about an hour and a half ago i went out to check it and the temp was at 100 degrees, and all my charcoal had burned up. The Butt itself was done though. Put the thermometer in and it read right at 190. I brought it in, pulled it, and am eating a tasty sandwich now. My problem is the time. Is it normal for a butt to take just 9 hours on the UDS? Probably took less, as it was 100 degrees at 10 oclock, so I'm guessing that it was done an hour or so before at least.

When I've done butts in the past, it has taken 12 or so hours. This early done-ness is okay with me, but if I'm cooking for 90 or so this weekend, don't know what I need to do to adjust. I dont want to just start later, I fear then I won't be done in time. Any suggestions?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can't really judge when it's gonna be done - butts can go long or short when cooking - and if your temps were going up and down, you never know.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
subzero
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The first butts I did on the UDS this past weekend were done in just about 7 hours. 2 butts, about 6.5 lbs each and smoked at 240. When it was done, I just closed the vents, and let the fire die. It still left me with over half a basket of good charcoal for the next smoke.

I'm finding that meats do tend to cook a bit quicker on the UDS.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

The direct of the heat makes the uds cooker way faster. Mine take 8-10 hours, but they take 12+ in my wsm.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
KSims1868
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't had a butt done in less than 1.5 hrs per lb...ever...on my UDS.
I generally keep it holding around 240* - the butts I cook range from 5 to 7 lbs usually. NEVER have any of them been up to 200* internal temp in less than 8-9 hours. The bigger...the longer it's taken. I can say out of the 10 pork butts/picnics I've done most were closer to 2 hrs per lb.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
cdn
Knows what a fatty is.

I smoked my first butt last weekend on my 55 gal drum, i used kingsford briquette, the temp. stayed at 250 for 11 hours, i put it on at 1pm , at midnight the internal meat temp was 171, i was hopeing for 195.the drum temp was starting to drop, it was late for me so i pulled it & wrapped it till morning. I'm used to cooking on my wood burner,about 8-9 hrs. usually on it, i guess the temp. spikes makes the difference. this butt was 6-7-lbs. I might have to make a larger charcoal basket or reload after about 12 hrs.
cdn is offline   Reply With Quote