MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Turkey neck anyone?

Wampus has a fantastic turkey thread going, but I just bought a turkey and it came with the turkey neck and stuff for the giblet gravy. I was just wondering if anyone does anything with the turkey necks?

I don't particularly care for turkey and have never attempted to do one. There is always someone else in the family that likes to muck up the turkey. But Wampus's thread got me wanting to try one.

So, turkey neck anyone?
Proud supporter of #14 Tony Stewart. Go Smoke!!!!
juslearning is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

They're good to tie on the end of a string and catch blue crabs with. Hey, I spend a good bit of time down in your neck of the woods, got a good friend with a farm and huntin' shack out on 81. Do a lot of catfish juggin' and bowfishing down there on the Hill, too.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Turkey stock/bouillon/soup/stew/gravy.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
They're good to tie on the end of a string and catch blue crabs with. Hey, I spend a good bit of time down in your neck of the woods, got a good friend with a farm and huntin' shack out on 81. Do a lot of catfish juggin' and bowfishing down there on the Hill, too.
Great!!!! Who is your friend?

The water is down really bad right now. There are alot of areas that are really dangerous to go if you don't know the lake. This is my favorite time of year to fish, but I don't know if I can get the pontoon off the ground. My fault, I should have moved it out by now.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
sash501
Knows what a fatty is.

They're good to throw in when making a gravy; it will add flavor. If you really want to use every piece, you can slice off the little bit of meat that is there for the dogs. Other than that, it's so much bone that once I'm done with the gravy prep, I throw it out.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by juslearning View Post
Great!!!! Who is your friend?

The water is down really bad right now. There are alot of areas that are really dangerous to go if you don't know the lake. This is my favorite time of year to fish, but I don't know if I can get the pontoon off the ground. My fault, I should have moved it out by now.
Chris Cade is his name. Yeah, I was down there a few weeks ago and the Little River arm is about dry. It was pitiful even back in the spring- I got stuck on a mudflat and like to have never got off of it, and that was in a 15' jonboat.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phubar View Post
turkey stock/bouillon/soup/stew/gravy.

^^^^ x 2 ^^^^
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use it with the organs excluding the liver, and make a giblet gravy. I also take the little bits of meat from the neck once it's done simmering out and softened, chop it down real fine, and add it back into the gravy.

Family loves it.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Gather all the necks that others discard, smoke them, then make a boil similar to crawfish/shrimp. Winner!

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
juslearning
is one Smokin' Farker

Hell I know Cade. He has a sister named Melony. We weren't tight growing up but knew each other. I didn't know he was still around here. Haven't seen him years.

PM me sometime when you coming down. I'd like to see Chris sometime.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
JonM106
Knows what a fatty is.

I throw it in the crock pot with the wings and simmer them for stock, which gets used in the gravy along with the pan drippings.
JonM106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Turkey stock/bouillon/soup/stew/gravy.
Great stock material - nothing but flavor!

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Last year I had to do turkey gravy for 200 people. I bought 25 pounds of turkey necks, chopped them up with a cleaver, and made a rich turkey stock in a 16 gallon pot. Then I made a lot of roux and made gravy. Worked great! To make stock, I browned up the neck parts in the oven, then covered them with cold water, added half an onion (no need to peel it) plus some diced carrot and celery and probably a cheesecloth bag of herbs/spices too. See Joy Of Cooking or your favorite cookbook for how to make chicken stock.

By the way I made *way* too much gravy! Next time I'd make maybe 8 gallons for 200 people!

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #14
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

I always use them for GIBLET GRAVY

I just put the neck and giblets in a saucepan whole with some chopped celery and onion, S&P. I slowly simmer all that for a couple of hours at least. I just put it on when I'm done prepping the bird.

After they've cooked long enough where the neck meat falls or is easily pulled off the bone, I'll remove all the neck mean and finely mince up all the neck and giblet meat. I use the heart and liver, but not the gizzard (that's just how Mom taught me ?).

Make a roux with the liquid, onion salt & celery that's left in the pan by adding butter and flour and browning slowly for a bit. Put in drippings from the turkey or chicken stock and the giblets and bring to a boil until the roux thickens the gravy. I like to add the stock or dirppings slowly until it's thin enough to not be too thin. Simmer until dinner time.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #15
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

I was rinsing my turkeys several years ago and pulled the neck out of the cavity. My 5 year old grandson said " Oh my Lord, what is that?"
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote