MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
air_jar
Found some matches.

Default Line set up does matter - Cost control

I know portions of this topic has been covered in other topics before but I wanted to share a recent experience that made my jaw drop (in a good way).

Last year I catered a big corporate event for 500 people and we were pretty much spot on with the food. It was a one-time through lunch for the employees and the customer supplied the servers so, while it wasn't self-serve, the portion control wasn't a perfect as if it were our staff.

We prepared enough food for one meat and two sides per person assuming 5 servings per pound of meat and 8 servings per quart of the sides (10 for beans). The line was set up (in order) pulled pork, pulled chicken, slaw, mac/chz, beans. We used 8 3/4" plates.

We were invited back to do the event again this year and nothing changed except I decided to set up the line differently. This time is was set up: Slaw, beans, mac, pork, chicken. Again, we were spot on with the food except we had 21 pounds of meat left over!!! Yes, 21 pounds! Also, after about 400 were served, we still had lots of mac pans so we told that person to be generous with servings. We had about a pint of slaw, a quart and a half of beans and about a quart of mac left over.

It seems line set up really does make a difference. It's all about real estate on the plate and with slaw and beans first, there is less room for the meat.

I wanted to share this experience with everyone and hopes it helps you in the future budgeting your food amounts.

Let me know if you have any questions.
air_jar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Catering and vending can really be a science, and tips from everywhere help us profit!

Thanks for sharing!
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

You may have just found the cure for rising meat prices!
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Interesting, I'll definitely remember this!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Another thing to remember is the size of the bun. Good lesson to learn. Thanks for the reference.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

We always set up the sides first and meat/entrees last. They fill their plate up with sides and dont have as much room for the main course. Bun size dont matter much. If they want meat, they take meat. And bury the bun. But normally we use 4" buns.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
air_jar
Found some matches.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Glad I could contribute something helpful to the community. As far as the bun, I use Sunbeam buns, not exactly sure of the diameter, my guess is 3", but they are a little smaller than others. 3 1/2 oz of pork makes it look like a HUGE sandwich.

Another operational note on the event. The first year I did everything in full pans but used half pans this year and I like the half pans better. When we replenished the line with the full pans, everything came to a stop. This year we were able to replace one while they kept serving out of the other half pan. Even though I used more pans (it was priced into the deal) it was much smoother and safer. Ever carried a full pan of baked beans through a line of hungry people hoping it wouldn't 'twist'? Yeah...don't want that stress again!
air_jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #8
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

I find that customers like having a full plate at the end of the day (whether it's free or paid for). I always put the sides first and the proteins last. And you have to make decisions on the fly about what is not moving. Took me a while to figure it out too. Portion control is your best friend.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly :boxing:
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->