MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
El_Capitan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Performer bbq guru

Good day all. I couldn't find a great page that detailed how to attach a bbq guru to a weber performer. I will try to explain what I did as best as I can.

First I mounted the bbq guru Digiq DX2 to the front. The unit comes with a mounting bracket that s the same thickness as the front metal panel on the Performer. I selected the correct drill bit using the mounting bracket. I then used the mounting bracket to get the correct distance to drill the holes as well. I put some masking tape on the front, held the bracket up to it, drew on the masking tape and then drilled 2 holes. This is the finished product.

mountedguru.jpg

Next I drilled a hole by the bunson burner that lights the charcoal. I drilled it at a level that is below the charcoal grate, but above the self cleaning system. I used a $13 norinco step drill bit from Amazon and drilled the hole to a 3/4 inch diameter. The first time I tried to put the weber adapter into the hole it would not line up flush, mainly because the part of the adapter that goes on the inside of the grill is at an angle. This was a simple fix. I screwed the adapter back together and used my hands to bend the screw until the cap (part that goes on the inside) was parallel to the part that goes onto the outside. It was about 5 degrees. After bending the screw I installed the Weber adapter and it fit perfectly. Note the blue tape I used to hold the wires out of the way while drilling also so they wouldn't get caught in the drill bit.

tape.jpg
the cleaning system clears the adapter.
gurucap.jpg
The grate does not rest on the adapter.
after.jpg
With the fan attached the air damper handle is still able to slide back and forth completely unobstructed in case you need to.
gurufan.jpg
this next part is a bit unique to my grill. I live in Bermuda and a WSM 22.5 is about $700 to have imported. As much as I love to BBQ I can't rationalize paying $700 for a WSM and getting a UDS wasn't an available option either. I went back home to Ohio for a week and brought back a Cajun Bandit for $160 including a big charcoal basket and heat diffuser on the plane. I used one of the grommets from cajun bandit website as well. On your grill you would just drill the same size hole into the kettle part of your grill wherever you want to run the wires through. There is much debate here. I have read some people slide their control wires underneath the cleaning probes, other just let the wires get bent under the grill, and some run the wires through the smoke stack on top. Do whatever you want I am just explaining what I did.
cbgrommet.jpg
This is the finished product. I got tired of replacing the small propane cylinders so I use a big propane tank, some propane stick I bought at walmart, and a hose to connect the big propane tank to the Performer. This solved 2 problems. The first being I don't have to keep buying those little propane tanks. The second being I attach a lantern to the top of the tank and now I have a lot more light at night to see how my grilling is going.
finished.jpg
This is my patio. That is Hamilton harbor in the background. I live in a studio apartment. I can't store a big metal ring inside or my girlfriend would kill me. My friend gave me a Weber 22.5 inch grill a while ago. So I store the cajun bandit smoking ring on it. That is why the cover looks so high up. You can see the propane stick I was talking about better in this picture.
patio.jpg
El_Capitan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 05-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
El_Capitan

Rain or shine something will be smoked this weekend.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

Nice mod and pics, it looks great!
I did the same thing to my WSMs:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...15#post2314515
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...52#post2024152
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
El_Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post

I remember looking at your grommet mod before deciding on the cajun bandit grommets. I was going to copy your design because I liked being able to put the cap on and seal it off, but then I decided to go with the cajun bandit steel ring and for $7 you can get 2 grommets for the ET-732. I do have a ET-732. I may drill a hole in the other grill and put the second grommet in there. Not sure yet.