Double D's Cooker has landed! (thick pron)

Funky D

Knows what a fatty is.
Heya Bretheren!

Just in time for this weekend's inaugural BBQ, my new smoker has landed...

Cool stuff includes....

- Big firebox with 1/2" steel, and a removable grill on the top.

- Firebox has a big, lever controlled damper, for adjusting heat to the barrel (or closing off completely if you just want to grill)

- All racks are removable, although the height is a little thin... maybe 5". You'd definitely have to pull the middle or top rack for pork butts/beer chicken.

- Tuning plates covering the entire bottom of the barrel (yes, they lock tight together and against the sides)

- Big coal/water pan along the bottom, with locking door.

Looking forward to comments/tips from the masses. I got a new maverick double probe, and am contemplating putting cork in the center thermometer hole, and using it to hold a probe, rather than the usual therm. (I hear a lot of people just don't trust em, even the good ones).

The inside is still a little dirty, and I'm pressed a bit for time, so I think the seasoning process is going to be wiping down the insides with towels soaked in cooking oil, firing up the grill, then wiping the inside down when heat has subsided a bit. It'll be getting a full workout on Sunday (2 brisket, 5 racks of ribs, 4 pork butts, and 5 chickens), so the speedy-season will have to do, although all that porky goodness will surely coat the inside well.

Will make sure to cook a couple pieces of bacon as an offering to the smoke gods. :)

Attachments

• SAM_0674.jpg
    SAM_0674.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 317
  • SAM_0676.jpg
    SAM_0676.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 317
  • SAM_0678.jpg
    SAM_0678.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 317
  • SAM_0679.jpg
    SAM_0679.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 318
  • SAM_0680.jpg
    SAM_0680.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 317
  • SAM_0683.jpg
    SAM_0683.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 316
  • SAM_0685.jpg
    SAM_0685.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 318
  • SAM_0687.jpg
    SAM_0687.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 317
  • SAM_0688.jpg
    SAM_0688.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 316
  • SAM_0690.jpg
    SAM_0690.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 318
great pit! just in time for memorial day weekend. so whats the first cook?

Well, Sunday will be the warmup cook for "Double D's Hardwood Cookers". *grin*

Hauling it to a buddies house, and we'll be throwing on a feast of chicken, brisket, ribs and butts. Haven't made a final decision on the rubs/glazes involved, but I think we'll have a few different recipes in effect, so people can judge what they like best. 3-2-1 ribs, old fashioned 12 hour briskets/butts, and beer butt chicken.

I'll make sure I snap as many pics as I can...

Well, Sunday will be the warmup cook for "Double D's Hardwood Cookers". *grin*

Hauling it to a buddies house, and we'll be throwing on a feast of chicken, brisket, ribs and butts. Haven't made a final decision on the rubs/glazes involved, but I think we'll have a few different recipes in effect, so people can judge what they like best. 3-2-1 ribs, old fashioned 12 hour briskets/butts, and beer butt chicken.

I'll make sure I snap as many pics as I can...

Is this a name of a business (your business?) or an event for the holiday weekend?

Is this a name of a business (your business?) or an event for the holiday weekend?

That's gonna be our team name when the Texas BBQ season comes back around. (I'm Dave, and the wifey is Debbie). Couldn't resist the double entendre... Our logo should be... interesting.

Double D's Hardwood Cookers
"Amazing Racks and Butts"

Sweet. I'm jealous.
Did you have this custom made?

Yeah, I know a wielder that builds pits. I didn't design it per se, but I definitely got everything I wanted. I've seen a lot of pits, but this is the first one I've seen with reverse flow, tuning plates (for conventional smoking), a water pan, and a damper on the firebox. I've seen all the pieces, but never all of them together at once.

Hopefully all this over-architecture doesn't backfire. Ya never know how quirky a pit is gonna behave until you start the smokin. :confused:

Nice pit. Good luck with this weekends cookout and keep us up to date on how all of your mods work out. :thumb:

Back