Hobart Handler 175 Price??

Philly-QueMaster

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I found a Hobart Handler 175 on craigslist for $350 and offered the guy $275. He said he would take $300. It doesn't come with any accessories...just the welder. I think it's a 220v. Does this seem like a good price? I never welded before but I'm looking for something decent that can weld 1/4" and maybe 3/8" steel.

Thanks
Patrick

That is a very good price if it is in good condition. Make sure you get the gas regulator. It will be 220v. I have a Handler 140 (115v) and it is the one i use the most. Get it and get a good helmet and get ready to get addicted.

Norco does this model come ready for gas? I thought I read in the specs somewhere it came with the gas regulators on it.

I have a 175... it came with a gas regulator. I am still on the first spool of .030 flux core it came with tho. I do have a gas bottle on my broken 25 year old snap on mig if I decide to go that route. I like the welder.

cost on the 175 over 5 years ago was almost 400. with a list price of 700+.... did I mention I was in the tool biz?

for $300. in clean condition I would buy it. Get a auto darkening helmet and a rolling cart / stand to put it on and you are in the UDS business!

Thanks Bruce. I verified and it does come with the gas regulator and gas hose so its ready for gas if I wanted to try it. I actually have a UDS...I made several. This would be used to make a Stumps Clone from a stainless steel commercial fridge.

We have one at school , it should be worth 300 if it in good shape.. We never use our

for $300. in clean condition I would buy it. Get a auto darkening helmet and a rolling cart / stand to put it on and you are in the UDS business!

A new welders first project should always be to build a cart for the machine. Good reason to dumpster dive for old bed frames. :thumb: Agree on auto darkening helmet. Spend as much as your precious eyesight is worth to you on the helmet.

All the more reason to get the bottle.

I guess you need to run the gas when working on stainless or thin metals? The commercial fridge I'm using has a stainless exterior, but I gutted the inside to remove all the crappy foam insulation. I'm going to reinsulate with minerial wool and reskin the cooking chamber with 14ga sheet metal. I don't think I wil need to mess with the stainless.

Will I be able to weld 1/4" steel plat with the flux or would I need gas for that too?

You need gas for the Stainless but flux works for steel. Gas on steel just makes for nicer welds. I am not a trade welder just a hobbyist so I could be wrong. I have been told you can weld stainless to steel but must use stainless wire. Jestrige being an instructor might offer more insight. So did you pick it up?

a good regulator will run $80-$150. I use Harris welding supply out of Oh. Tell them Brian from Huntingdon County Customs sent you.

I'm going to pick it up in the next couple days. The guy said he needed to get a generator so he could demo it for me. I'm excited to finally start learning how to weld and to get started on my clone build.

Hey, good discussion. Cue related? I dunno, but good discussion. Be a nice one to start out a smoker build topic. (Hint.) :-D

I have an Ironman, use it all the time. Built this with it last weekend, using square tubing from old store shelving. You can see part of the welder in the upper right.

grill007.jpg

If you're like me, you'll find that it is indispensible when you need to make a gadget or a repair. A good welder is worth it's price. Hobart is made by Miller.

I'd grab it at $300 or less if in good shape.

Thanks for the links. I can't wait to get the welder and start learning how to use it, and then start building my smoker.

Back