MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Hozman
Take a breath!

Default straight rib bones

We did our first comp last week. The one thing we had a hard time with was finding 6 straight spare rib bones to put in a box. Seemed all the bones angled. We had 6 slabs and was just able to find 7 straight bones for turn in.

How important are straight bones vs just have symmetrical looking ribs that look nice in a box. Is there a trick to purchasing ribs with straight bones?

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

From a judge's view - straight bones are not required as long as the box looks good.

Just my $0.02.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I gota agree. As long as they aren't "S" shaped . With that specific thought I think it's more important that you have a symmetrical cut so there are equal amounts of meat on each side of the bone, and the bones look symmetrical in the box. Cheers!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
We did our first comp last week. The one thing we had a hard time with was finding 6 straight spare rib bones to put in a box. Seemed all the bones angled. We had 6 slabs and was just able to find 7 straight bones for turn in.

How important are straight bones vs just have symmetrical looking ribs that look nice in a box. Is there a trick to purchasing ribs with straight bones?
I have been wondering the same thing, the last few cryo's of ribs I have bought have been horribly angled, so much so that I was lucky to get 6 ribs in the box at the last contest. Almost to the point that they were bent.

Told myself that I wouldn't let it happen again. I am going to buy a whole case of ribs this week just to see if there are two racks in the whole bunch that have straight bones.

Not sure if it effects the score that much, but it worried me when I was trying to get 6 in the box and my appearance scores were not as good as before when I was easily able to find 6 "straighter" bones.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Question:

When y'all say "straight bones", are you talking about bones with no "side to side" curve, or bones that are perpendicular to the long axis of the slab??

Based on the actual condition, I have some thoughts--but need to figure out what you are talking about.

TIM

Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Question:

When y'all say "straight bones", are you talking about bones with no "side to side" curve, or bones that are perpendicular to the long axis of the slab??

Based on the actual condition, I have some thoughts--but need to figure out what you are talking about.

TIM
Tim,

For me it has been a little bit of both of those issues. The only bones that were straight for me on the last 6 racks were the ones on the meaty end and I don't like to turn those in.

One rack will have bones that are way out of perpendicular and the next will actually have bones that have a side to side curve in them.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

don't buy multi rack cryoed ribs.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

straight bones = easier consistent cuts. At least for me.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
don't buy multi rack cryoed ribs.
I think you hit the nail on the head! I was buying them from my local grocery store in individually cryoed packages and I could tell pretty well what they looked like, but when I showed up to buy them for the last comp they didn't have any.

Guess I better go ask a little sooner than the day before the comp next time!

Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

What really kills you is when you are slicing a rack, and everything is going great until you realize that all the bones are straight, they just change direction half way through. Kinda like this.

llllll///////
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

that's why i cut them meat side down.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

I've struggled with this all year. Finally have found some good St. Louis ones that are thick and straight and no curve like baby backs.

Before now I just tried to adjust the cut to make them look nice for the presentation.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Q-dat,
Also being from louisiana, I almost fell lucky with ribs are only this bad llllll////. It is hard to find good ribs down here.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post
Q-dat,
Also being from louisiana, I almost fell lucky with ribs are only this bad llllll////. It is hard to find good ribs down here.
And for some stupid reason, there also seems to be a trend of cutting the bones too short.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #15
chickenchoker
Full Fledged Farker

got a 2nd place call a few weeks ago.... had plenty of straight bones from the 6 racks we made. But the tastier ribs we chose to turn in were not the straight ones and hit. as long as the box looks good and the ribs are spot on you should have no issues

Custom Humphreys Comp Cart,Backwoods Party,18.5 WSM with Pro Q stacker, "skeeter" reverse flow offset

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK [URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Chokers-Bar-B-Que-team/149911985044419[/URL]

2016 Sponsors- Butcher BBQ,Stubbs,Shelter Logic, A Fine Swine, Mojobricks
chickenchoker is offline   Reply With Quote