Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Cookers Association Invitational

ZILLA

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This past weekend was the Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Cookers Association Invitational Cook Off. This cook-off brought to a close the 2006-2007 BBQ season for our organization. It was held at the Lake Conroe, KOA Campground in Conroe, Texas. The facilities were very nice offering a swimming pool, jacuzzi, play ground, and a fishing pond. Tent sites, RV sites and cabins were available for us to rent. Many of our comrades from Q-Fest were there from Texas and Louisiana and brother Dustaway was there proudly flying the Brethren colors and did we have some fun. We were able to bring our family and friends along too and they had a great time as well.

There were 53 teams competing. Our buddy Gordo took GC with a first place brisket and first place pork spare ribs, Congratulations! Our own team, Crapshoot BBQ finished 3rd overall taking 2nd place brisket and 6th place pork spare ribs. Our head cook Craig Sharry won the TGCBCA "Cooker Of The Year Award" for our team and took home a huge trophy.

The past 5 months has been a great learning experience for me both in Comp BBQ and BBQ in general. Learning at the hands of both Craig (Texana) and BBQ Doug has been a crash course in Winning Competition BBQ. We had a lot of fun, won some money and made some new friends. I'm looking forward to two months off and we will resume the circuit at the "Hotter Than Hell" Cook Off in Katy, Texas in August.

Now it's time to hone my lawn mowing, home BBQ and 12oz curl skills. :-D

Congrats to you for the great season of BBQ cook-offs!

How 'bout that!
Nice going and congratulations to all.

Sooner or later, I'm gonna make it down that way and give you guys a run for your money! Congrats on a great season!

Zilla, Thanks for the cigar I finally had a chance to smoke it on my way home last night very good :p

with you guys setting out a cook-off I'm planning on trying to get a jump on you guy's for next year points :-D

This one was a great time got to see a lot of old friends and made a few new ones, I called it for Gordo I told Redneck very early Saturday that Gordo had his game face on and would be hard to beat man was I correct in that one, for us not sure what we might of did wrong but we were happy with everything that was turned in but I guess the judges weren't too pleased that was the only bummer for the weekend. no more hair cuts before a competition that's what I'm blaming it on :wink:

Back